National Geographic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2016

2.5

Junior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process has been poisoned with non-existent communication. I was brought in through an employee referral, asked basic questions and told they were looking to hire immediately and I was looking to start immediately. According to the hiring manager, my education, qualifications and experience matched me up with the job; this hire should have been a no-brainer. After following up three times with no answer, I had to track down the hiring manager's superior to get a follow-up interview 8 weeks later in which I was asked the same questions. Nobody had seen my work. It was an enormous waste of time. I never heard back, even after following up. It was all very informal. Pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous editing experience? Are you a fast editor? What kind of documentaries have you worked on?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked on a phone interview. The phone interview was just chatting with the interviewer. Then I was asked to either come into the head quarter in DC or do a Skype interview. I chose Skype interview and there were 4 people who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to do when you graduate? What did you learn and experience from the previous job?   Answer Question

Video Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Geographic in May 2016.

Interview

Had a phone call that went well and he asked mostly about my video production experience. I asked some questions about what the job would be like. It was very conversational and easy to get along with him. He told me about the position specifics and said he would get back to me soon.

Travel Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in April 2016.

Interview

I sent in an application and was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks later. Set up a phone interview, which took about 30 minutes. The interviewer genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say and cared about what my actual personality was like. She said she'd have a final answer for me in two weeks and was true to her word -- didn't get the offer but she sent a kind email about it.

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Surprisingly unprofessional for an institution like the National Geographic Society. I had a very casual 20 minute phone conversation with a manager. I was one of three finalists and was told I should hear either way in 1-2 weeks, but never heard from them again and my inquiries went unanswered.

I assume they had a more qualified candidate, but a simple email note informing me and thanking me for applying would have left me with a better impression.

Assistant Manager, Digital Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called to come in for an interview 12 days later. I did a 20 min. phone interview with the Manager I'd be working with before my in-person interview. I then met with the Manager and Director at the DC headquarters. The meeting was positive, they were both friendly.

Interview Questions

• Name three things that you feel make you the most qualified for this position.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Interview

Easy enough on line application.had a phone interview first-very friendly, thought it went well. I flew to DC for an interview (on my own dollar). Interviewed with 2 other junior members of the team, hiring manager, another senior manager and the EVP. All were very nice people. They are definitely trying to get the right person in the job which is great. Despite following up, I never heard from them again which seemed unprofessional and disrespectful to me for having interviewed someone.

Product Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I saw the posting on the careers site, then decided to reach out to some employees in the department via LinkedIn. I got responses from both people I had contacted right away, who were very helpful in forwarding my resume to the hiring manager. With one of them, I had an informational phone interview a few days after applying online. She helped me better understand the position and NatGeo, which was helpful when I was constructing my cover letter.

A few days after including my cover letter to my online application, I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. The phone interview only lasted about 10 minutes, but it went very well. I followed up and the day after was invited to come into the office in person since I was going to be in DC right after my college graduation. I went into the headquarters, and had 3 in-person interviews with 3 members of the team (none of which were the initial LinkedIn people I had contacted). I felt very comfortable speaking with all 3, and was promised I would hear back by the end of the month. I followed up throughout the process waiting to hear back from them, and ultimately was told about a month after the interview that another they had decided to pursue another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? What is your biggest weakness? What attracted you to this position? What is the definition of marketing to you?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

I spoke with the employee who would be the supervisor over the phone. She was pleasant, excited about her job, and showed a genuine interest in my resume and skills. When I followed up, we scheduled an interview about two weeks later. I met with her at the DC office, and she was extremely thorough in explaining the job function, showing me the software I would use, and making sure I understood the background of the project.

Several weeks later, I had an interview with the HR department. The interviewer was pleasant, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she was purposely trying to intimidate me. She did, however, do a great job of explaining the company's mission, goals, and policies, and said for me to feel free to contact her with any questions or concerns. I did, and never heard back from her. That being said, it was just before the holiday, but I would have expected to hear at least something back from her at all.

All in all, from the first time I spoke with anyone from National Geographic to when I heard back about the job, it took about six or seven weeks. Ended up losing out to someone with a more applicable degree, but overall the process was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your plan to relocate here?   1 Answer

Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

One phone interview was held. It was enjoyable and very relaxed. I guess I might have been a little too relaxed. I was declined about a week later.