National Geographic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Geographic Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.5

Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic.

Interview

Slow and lengthy process. I was contacted 4 months after I applied. Then I went through a series of Skype interviews with different department directors. I got the job, but I had to wait one month for HR to approve all the paperwork.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Evanston, IL) in March 2009.

Interview

I had a total of 6 or 7 interviews over a period of 4 months. I was led to believe I was the leading candidate. I met with many different people and was finally informed that they had rehired a former employee to take the position, which they had downgraded as far as title was concerned.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle reporting to a supervisor at a different location?   Answer Question

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

It was brief. They want to know you are a hard worker and are willing to do things outside of the typical job description. Past experience in the field is considered but not crucial.

Interview Questions

• How are you with a fast paced environment where you will have multiple things that need to be completed simultaneously?   Answer Question

Video Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Geographic in May 2016.

Interview

Had a phone call that went well and he asked mostly about my video production experience. I asked some questions about what the job would be like. It was very conversational and easy to get along with him. He told me about the position specifics and said he would get back to me soon.

Travel Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in April 2016.

Interview

I sent in an application and was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks later. Set up a phone interview, which took about 30 minutes. The interviewer genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say and cared about what my actual personality was like. She said she'd have a final answer for me in two weeks and was true to her word -- didn't get the offer but she sent a kind email about it.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked on a phone interview. The phone interview was just chatting with the interviewer. Then I was asked to either come into the head quarter in DC or do a Skype interview. I chose Skype interview and there were 4 people who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to do when you graduate? What did you learn and experience from the previous job?   Answer Question

Marketing & Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Geographic (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

It was very quick. I meet with at least 4 to 5 different people and departments. the application online was quick and easy. HR was very friendly and explained the position very well. Once I received the job it was very different than what was described. The overall experience was very pleasant

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a long interview process because they went through a hiring freeze during it. It started with phone interviews with the two most senior people on the team. I was then asked to come in and interview with them in person and the other two people on the team. I then had to complete a series of writing, editing, and researching tests and was given 72 hours to complete. After all of that, I had two interviews with HR representatives.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online, called for a phone interview a month later. They put the position on hold for a couple of weeks for admin reasons (while keeping applicants in the loop, which they didn't have to do). About a month later, I was brought in for a face-to-face with would-be supervisors, phone interview with HR a couple of days later, and in-person round of interviews with a C-suite the next day. From the first in-person interview to offer, it was about a week.

After they asked a couple of skill questions (two or three, not that many) and saw I had the skill set for the position, it shifted almost entirely to personality and situations. They really care about fit at Nat Geo, and that was evident from the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where you believe you failed and what you learned from it   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Interview

Easy enough on line application.had a phone interview first-very friendly, thought it went well. I flew to DC for an interview (on my own dollar). Interviewed with 2 other junior members of the team, hiring manager, another senior manager and the EVP. All were very nice people. They are definitely trying to get the right person in the job which is great. Despite following up, I never heard from them again which seemed unprofessional and disrespectful to me for having interviewed someone.