National Geographic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Geographic Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2017

2.6

Producer Interview

Interview

Standard HR process, then production executives

Interview Questions

Negotiation

took initial offer - this was years ago....

Intern Marketing Interview

Interview

common questions like tell me about yourself, what's your strength, why you wanna work here, why do you want this job, do you have any questions for us,

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I had applied online and within 1 week I got an email from a marketing co-ordinator/ associate confirming my interview at their DC-HQ. I was interviewed by the SVP who was extremely excited about my candidacy. I was told that my final interview date with the CMO will emailed to me by the end of June (since both the SVP and CMO were busy and the position was for a senior management role so they wanted to go slow). For 5 months no one got back to me. I did follow up but no one replied back to me. After 5 months, I was offered a junior level position.

Interview Questions

• My past experiences and how is it working with NGC were discussed. No interview-like questions asked.   Answer Question

During the interview, I was told about their recent senior management change. I was continuously receiving negative feedbacks about how partial and biased the new CMO is (specifically mentioning that the new CMO's would like to hire from his/her previous company). I was also forewarned that I have to work in conjunction with new CMO's philosophy which is more creatively inclined than any scientific approach for developing marketing strategies. My interviewer seemed very demotivated with his/her own job.

I was interviewed in May and was told that my final interview date with the CMO will be confirmed via email/call by the end of June. However no one got back to me. Much later I learnt that the interviewer had moved into a different role before he/she quit the job. The position I was interviewed for was filled by someone from the CMO's previous company (much expected!). 5 months later I was offered a junior level position (Asst Manager, Media Strategy) and I found that very insulting. I declined it because I found the management very unstable and the work environment unhealthy.

Pre-Press Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview process was very thorough. Benefit package was very impressive

Offer was not acceptable

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic in June 2012.

Interview

All the jobs I have gotten have been through people I know and/or have previously worked with. I have applied to their jobs online before but have never been called for an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was terrible at negotiating. They basically told me they could pay me what I was making on my last job and I said yes. I guess my advice would be to actually make an effort and negotiate. I'm just really bad at it.

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Surprisingly unprofessional for an institution like the National Geographic Society. I had a very casual 20 minute phone conversation with a manager. I was one of three finalists and was told I should hear either way in 1-2 weeks, but never heard from them again and my inquiries went unanswered.

I assume they had a more qualified candidate, but a simple email note informing me and thanking me for applying would have left me with a better impression.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Geographic (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by office manager. General questions "what's your fav movie?" The environment was pretty chilled out. I had to manage office administration duties mostly. I answered telephone calls. Forwarded emails to relevant authorities and photocopied and faxed. Read incoming scripts that was exciting.

Interview Questions

• What's your fav movie and why   1 Answer

Junior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process has been poisoned with non-existent communication. I was brought in through an employee referral, asked basic questions and told they were looking to hire immediately and I was looking to start immediately. According to the hiring manager, my education, qualifications and experience matched me up with the job; this hire should have been a no-brainer. After following up three times with no answer, I had to track down the hiring manager's superior to get a follow-up interview 8 weeks later in which I was asked the same questions. Nobody had seen my work. It was an enormous waste of time. I never heard back, even after following up. It was all very informal. Pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous editing experience? Are you a fast editor? What kind of documentaries have you worked on?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

After a basic screening, the interviews were relatively casual. It is important to tell stories about your experience in the workplace and show your personality. Hiring managers generally are more concerned a candidate being an overall good fit for the company and the position.

Interview Questions

• What is one mistake you made and how did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Geographic (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

The interviews, while numerous, were pretty standard. Typical questions about experience, interests, etc. I spoke with 10 people over the course of 3 in person meetings and 3 phone calls.

They save the HR interview (which is supposed to assess whether you are a good cultural fit for the organization overall) for last. Like the other interviews, it was cookie cutter and not difficult.

One frustrating aspect of this process was NG's unwillingness to discuss salary range openly. In fact, even though I mentioned my requirements several times throughout the interview process, they never gave me a salary range for the position, not even after they decided to offer me the job. Very strange and totally backwards, if you ask me.

Turns out the max salary was way below (around -20k) my requirements. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, and it would have saved a lot of people a lot of time if they just been up front about this.

In fact, they even went so far as to downplay compensation, in general. While HR was happy to spend 20 minutes explaining their benefits package in detail, they never mentioned one number when it came to salary. Further, we only discussed it because, in his words, it was "very important to me" and "I seemed concerned about it."

Well, yeah. I am concerned about making a living. Isn't everyone?

Bottom line: I think Nat Geo is a great company, and they're doing awesome things. Perhaps their reluctance to discuss compensation in an open way is a by product of tight budgets.

I ended up turning down the job because: First, it didn't pay nearly enough. Second, the whole process rubbed me the wrong way, especially the disconnect between the hiring manager and HR.

Interview Questions

Low pay; unwillingness on HR's part to discuss compensation. Also, more than one of my interviewees was late...not a deal breaker, but indicative of culture.