National Grid (UK) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Grid (UK) Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2017

Gas Transmission ETP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Coventry, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview took place as part of an Assessment Day. The first task was to create a presentation based on 15 pages of fictitious information and we had 40 minutes to prepare, 10 minutes to deliver, and 20 minutes of questions from the two interviewers that I was presenting to. Next there was a face to face interview that lasted approximately 30-40 minutes. Following was online tests that were for consistency measures to make sure they matched up with the test done at an earlier stage. Finally there was a group task where we had to discuss as a group the solution to a problem.

Interview Questions

• They provided me with a fairly unusual question which roughly said " your car has just broke down and you shall need it for work tomorrow. The car is 5 years old and at the time cost £10,000. The repair costs will be £3000. What will you do and why?" To this I don't think there was a right or wrong answer I think they just wanted to see that I can critically analyse a situation and make a justifiable decision based on evidence.   1 Answer

Commercial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wokingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Wokingham, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Application, very long and detail form online showing how relevant your experiences to the job description in a very tedious manner. A day long interview consisting of many parts. Group exercise, group presentation, one to one interview, Lunch, secret surveillance and many more funny and energy sapping activities to test your intellectual endurance.

Interview Questions

• How a regulated company make money legally?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Dramatic. They decide whatever they think the offer should be and just call you whether you are prepared to accept the offer. More confusion in the HR department as they work at cross purposes

Digital Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eakring, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Eakring, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I was required to produce a 15 minute presentation based on a project I had worked on, followed by a series of questions.

I prepared for an interview heavily reliant on my technical abilities, as was described in the job description (web development, video editing, IT skills etc). Instead, the questioning based on my presentation and the follow up questions were all focused on customer service and business relations with clients. It was very obvious that the 2 interviewers were not technical therefore they focused their questioning elsewhere and decided to judge me on that instead.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle a client with unrealistic expectations of a project.   Answer Question

Gas Distribution - Safety & Network Strategy (Graduate Position) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Coventry, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Online Application, Telephone Interview, Assessment Centre

Assessment centre with 3 other candidates and 6 National Grid staff. Interviewing staff seemed uninterested in the process and read questions verbatim from a script. The interviewers were not able to provide useful information about the actual role applied for and no feedback was given.

Project Manager Graduate Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) in December 2016.

Interview

You do an initial application where they ask you for your experiences. A situational judgement test must be completed followed by a games based assessment which is quite easy. After that comes a video interview. All of the questions were situational. You have to complete this within seven days. Make sure you double check as it is easy to miss. I haven't heard back yet for my video interview.

Interview Questions

• You have successfully completed a difficult project that took a lot of hard work and long hours. Your line manager has no assigned you another project, but its not due to start for at least another week. (a) What would you do during the quieter period?why? (b) How will you stay motivated? (c) How will you ensure you continue to develop at Network Rail?   Answer Question

Power Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online then was phoned by HR to arrange interview. Interview itself was a panel type with two interviewers. Was competency based, with no questions on my former experience which even included working for National Grid.

Asked generic engineering questions which seemed to ask me about what is a power system, the components within a substation, then went on about project management, change management and their performance excellence stuff. Asked a few politically correct questions relating to diversity which I thought was not relevant to the role. They had real difficulty trying to understand my non Grid experience in how it would relate to a question. Just glad I didn't get the role, I would have hated working there. This company is so politically correct.

Interview Questions

• Name one word which defines the last 12 months employment?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) in March 2016.

Interview

First had a telephone interview which was very good, easy, no trick questions then a full days session at a designated location involving presentation, pre-prepared presentation, interview and an on-site trip.

Interview Questions

• They have 5 things they ask you about. They ask that you describe the situation in short, how you over come it and what you learned   Answer Question

Team Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Job posted on internal job board, open to employees and contractors alike. Competency based questions, interviewers were inexperienced themselves but it seems a foregone conclusion, box ticking exercise as on three occasions the contractor already doing the job got appointed permanently into that position, even though it said it was a development position they already expected you to be able to perform and 110%, which I expect they were familiar with the current postholder and did not want to take risks and give job to long standing employee looking for promotion.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an urgent request to do something even though you are already swamped with work, it is home time and there is no-one else to ask for support?   1 Answer

Power Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wokingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Wokingham, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two persons. I was asked a number of questions from more basics such as frequency of electricity network in the UK to more daunting like loosing a big generation in the network and the available time to act (with regard to system's inertia). Half of the other questions were business skill oriented and my information about the company and the role.

Interview Questions

• I was given a map, illustrating a part of electricity network at the border of England and Scotland. The Scenario was loosing a 400 kV line and its subsequent effects on other 132 kV line and the connected network.The question was what should be done to decrease the effect of this outage? What lines or demands should be (probably) shut down? Explain the protection measures in such case.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Grid (UK).

Interview

Online Application - This took about an hour and a half to fill out, making sure to provide full and correct GCSE results and other qualifications. Pay extra attention to the motivational questions.

Situational Judgement Test - In my experience, I got invited to this a few hours after submitting my application.
     This is a multiple choice test, asking for what you would do in certain circumstances. You will need to meet an undisclosed score to proceed.

Video Interview - Following a successful SJT and short listing, I was invited to do a video interview (this is a new stage, I believe).
     In this stage, you are asked 3 questions and given a 30 second window in which to record your answer. You can review and re-record your answers AS MANY TIMES as you like! Questions I was asked included "How would your friends describe you?", "Why did you choose the National Grid?"

Assessment Centre - After further short listing, I was lucky enough to be invited to the assessment centre which is the last stage of the process.
     You are invited to their training academy in Eakring the afternoon before the assessment day, where you get the chance to meet the other candidates and have an evening meal together, along with the staff who will be assessing you the next day. They make a point in telling you that you're not being assessed at dinner, and to relax and enjoy your evening!
     The assessment day starts bright and early, with a range of tasks and tests arranged throughout the day. You will do a colour blind test, manual dexterity test (Taking apart a gas regulator/putting it back together), a basic mechanics test and an interview. All the tasks are really straight forward and well explained, so don't be too nervous. The interview itself was quite intense from my experience, they ask you a lot of questions about your motivations, achievements, situational awareness and your knowledge about who the National Grid are.