National Grid (UK) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Grid (UK) Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2017

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Grid (UK).

Interview

I was greeted by a receptionist and waited in the lobby to be collected by the interviewer.
    The interview consisted of a verbal Interview followed by aptitude testing which included basic maths, spelling and problem solving. Relatively formal with one interviewer. You don't find out the results from the aptitude testing.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an experience solving a problem in a work environment.   Answer Question

Senior Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Rochester, South East England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

The question set was very structured and published prior to the interview which allowed me to prepare fully. The format was not as formal as I was expecting which allowed me to feel at ease immediately. The interview was very conversational with two way dialogue throughout.

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate a time when you successfully managed a Project from concept to delivery.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)).

Interview

I travelled several hundred miles and rearranged flights at short notice and very considerable cost to interview.

I fully understand that they may not have wanted to hire me - that's part of the process- but despite the effort and expense that I went to meet their schedules, the recruiting people didn't return calls and they simply dropped contact with as much as a "thank you" or "sorry, but..."

This is simply good enough for a professional company of this size when recruiting for senior roles

Security Architect Interview

Interview

The interview started off quite nicely with the usual tell me about yourself questions. Half way through, I noticed that the interviewers start skipping questions for some reason. If you're going to call me for a face-to-face interview it's only fair to complete all the questions. I was not impressed with the length of time it took to get feedback. Six weeks is far too long to wait for feedback from anyone with a total of employing within one week. The agent wasn't exactly helpful either and really offered nothing more than a CV forwarding service. All in all an experience I don't want to repeat. The technical interview was conducted by someone whose English is not great. Adding to the confusion

Interview Questions

• what have you been doing type questions.   1 Answer
    • We have a diversity and inclusion policy, what do you think about that?   1 Answer

Manager of Function Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard interview process with standard questions. Three rounds. First with HR, second with line manager, third in front of a panel. HR recruiter (in-house) not responsive to emails. Very unkempt appearance of one interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What makes you get up in the morning? What do you know about NG? How did you overcome challenging situations?   Answer Question

Gas Transmission ETP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Coventry, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview took place as part of an Assessment Day. The first task was to create a presentation based on 15 pages of fictitious information and we had 40 minutes to prepare, 10 minutes to deliver, and 20 minutes of questions from the two interviewers that I was presenting to. Next there was a face to face interview that lasted approximately 30-40 minutes. Following was online tests that were for consistency measures to make sure they matched up with the test done at an earlier stage. Finally there was a group task where we had to discuss as a group the solution to a problem.

Interview Questions

• They provided me with a fairly unusual question which roughly said " your car has just broke down and you shall need it for work tomorrow. The car is 5 years old and at the time cost £10,000. The repair costs will be £3000. What will you do and why?" To this I don't think there was a right or wrong answer I think they just wanted to see that I can critically analyse a situation and make a justifiable decision based on evidence.   1 Answer

Commercial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wokingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Wokingham, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Application, very long and detail form online showing how relevant your experiences to the job description in a very tedious manner. A day long interview consisting of many parts. Group exercise, group presentation, one to one interview, Lunch, secret surveillance and many more funny and energy sapping activities to test your intellectual endurance.

Interview Questions

• How a regulated company make money legally?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Dramatic. They decide whatever they think the offer should be and just call you whether you are prepared to accept the offer. More confusion in the HR department as they work at cross purposes

Digital Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eakring, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Eakring, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I was required to produce a 15 minute presentation based on a project I had worked on, followed by a series of questions.

I prepared for an interview heavily reliant on my technical abilities, as was described in the job description (web development, video editing, IT skills etc). Instead, the questioning based on my presentation and the follow up questions were all focused on customer service and business relations with clients. It was very obvious that the 2 interviewers were not technical therefore they focused their questioning elsewhere and decided to judge me on that instead.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle a client with unrealistic expectations of a project.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Interview

Online tests followed by phone interview. Fairly straight forward interview. Very poor communication after the interview, had to wait over 3 months before finding out the outcome. Questions I was asked are written below.

Interview Questions

• • Why do you want to work here and why the specific role?
      • Commercial Awareness – What are the challenges facing Nat. grid.
      • When have you had to persuade others of a solution and they didn’t agree at first?
      • When have to had to solve a complex problem?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Grid (UK) (Coventry, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Online application, online tests, telephone interview, assessment centre.

Assessment centre contained a 30 minute interview which was standard competency based questions, group exercise, retaking online tests. There was also a presentation, which was written on the day. You were given a pack and asked to put together the presentation using the material.

The overall recruitment process was the most efficient graduate process i have experienced.