National Grid USA Interview Questions in Waltham, MA | Glassdoor

National Grid USA Interview Questions in Waltham, MA

Updated Feb 7, 2017

Contractor Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a group interview with three people plus myself. They made me very comfortable, asked pertinent questions. Asked real life challenging questions.

I was not shown where I would be sitting, but I did get to meet who would be my manager and a peer.

I was allowed all the time I needed to answer questions and ask my own questions. The entire interview lasted about 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Used specific, real life issues and asked what tools I would use to remedy the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a contractor the negotiations were done through a 3rd party.

Manager of Financial Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two interviewers, hiring manager and a colleague. Very detailed approach and very formal. The hiring manager was very well prepared having all of my paperwork in front of her and it was clear that she had certain areas of my experience where she wanted to go deeper. Her colleague was just reading my resume during the interview and then he started to ask me a series of questions about the energy industry, which I handled with some success. He seemed more interested in my critical thinking skills as opposed to my knowledge of the energy industry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a situation when you dealt with a "problem associate", describe the situation, precisely what actions you took, and what was the end result.   1 Answer

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

A set of pre-determined questions from HR about past experiences and office ethics. The interviewer also asked their own questions. For the most part it was a relaxed conversation. I was interviewed by two people, the hiring manager and an engineer who worked for him. I made sure to answer questions to both of them instead of just to the person who asked.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation where you knew someone was saying something incorrect in a meeting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I made several requests for a signing bonus, relocation money, and compensation for turning down healthcare. They are all denied. The salary I was being offered was slightly higher than I expected so I still took the offer.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Behavioral questions. They ask a question and you have to find a situation and describe it. Not very long. Questions were on diversity, teamwork, ethics, and safety. About 7 questions Total.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to say because it was against company policy.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Two people have interviewed me. It was about 30 minutes. They asked lots of questions and took notes. All questions are behavioral questions. But some of them are out of my expectation. They asked me what would you do when you see an emergency. I thought of some first-aid procedures.

Interview Questions

• All questions are behavioral questions. But some of them are out of my expectation.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

There were a total of 3 interviews. Two of them were rescheduled multiple times due to the schedules of the interviewers. The overall process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I had any concerns about the job.   1 Answer

Designer B Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about 2 weeks later had a test that everyone takes no matter what position. I passed the test and 4 weeks later was contacted by hiring manager and scheduled an interview at the Waltham Ma offices. I was interviewed by 3 people a manager and 2 supervisors for the position I was interviewing for.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with two employees. Wanted to prove competency in Excel. Had a short excel quiz after utilizing Vlookup and Pivot Tables. Know how to use both within a data set. Only one interview on site. No phone interview or other interview. Overall a very relaxed interview. The excel stuff can be tricky. Really make sure you know how to do both.

Interview Questions

• Why National Grid?
      My Likes/Dislikes?
      What I liked/disliked about College?
      Teamwork oriented questions
      Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume in October/November (didn't think anything of it and honestly forgot I even applied). Was contacted by my now boss in January for a 30-60 min interview - just asking to go over my resume and he told me about the position as well. A few days later he e-mailed again asking if I could come in to the office and to prepare a portfolio of past work. They gave me a week to prepare the portfolio and then they took a week to review. The in-person interview was super quick - basically just making sure I could get along with the whole team. They extended an offer the next day and the process was finished early-mid February.

Now that I work here I think I have a better-ish idea of how the interview process works. You essentially blindly throw your resume into a system for any internship. Then managers across all different departments read, review, and decide who they want to interview. From there it's up to the manager to decide how they conduct their interviews but I think for the most part it's all behavioral.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pay is based on college credits but after junior year most interns are in the $16-$18 range

Construction Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Grid USA (Waltham, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

The Interview was easy going with 4 of the National Grid Employees asking you questions that do not have anything to do with your work history. Then after the whole interview processes the person that is in control of the interview says to me " We will be in contact with you in 4-8weeks to let you know if you have received the position". Very Shocking!! Since my interview processes I have turned down several offers for other companies, because the interview went well with National Grid. Word of advice do not put all your eggs in one basket! A little about me I have 2 college degrees ASCPM and BSCM, CSL License, and many other Certifications, and 26 years in the construction industry. I am surprised about their decision not to hire me for the position of CSL Supervisor, but it is not what you know, it is who you know!!??

Interview Questions

• The questions were very open ended questions.   1 Answer