National Institute of Standards and Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Institute of Standards and Technology Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Straightforward interview, I went to the lab and answered questions about my work. Answered a few technical questions and introduced myself to the team. Spent some time learning about the different kinds of projects they were doing before I picked one.

/Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology (Gaithersburg, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

Standard phone interview where I spent roughly 20 minutes answering questions about my resume, and 20 minutes hearing about the company. If you are an engineering student applying to a co-op, they will ask many questions as to your availability and how many terms you are willing to work.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology (Gaithersburg, MD).

Interview

The interview process happened over the phone, standard questions. It was primary discussion about potential project and how I would tackle it. There was also salary negotiation and discussion about starting date. All in all great experience and friendly people that need more hands to do the work.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology in May 2016.

Interview

Scheduled an interview through the career website at my university. Went to the interview a few days later, they said that they would let me know in a few weeks. They got back to me within two and a half weeks

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology (Gaithersburg, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of a seminar, lab tours, and discussions with individuals about their research. Throughout the day I was handed off to various individuals to discuss specific projects or learn more about what other individual researchers were working on. The interview lasted the entire day (6-8 hours) and included a lunch break off of the NIST campus. At the end of the interview I spoke with a higher level manager/scientist about my background and thoughts on the position.

Interview Questions

• The group asked several very good/detailed questions during my seminar (which stretched to nearly 2 hours with Q&A) and indicated to me that they were engaged and interested in the type of work I was doing.   Answer Question

I took a full time scientist position (not a post-doc) at another National Laboratory.

Computer Science(Pathways Program) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology (Gaithersburg, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

My Ph.D. advisor knew one of the researchers at NIST which got me an initial interview at a nearby restaurant (with the option of a beer too). This was ultimately not the person I ended up working with but it got the process started.

Make sure you put a lot of effort into preparing your formal government CV/resume. Note that it has a different format than a traditional resume. It has to have all the keywords etc.. because HR will see it first, and if it doesn't meet their standard it will not be forwarded to the actual person who wants to work with you in the first place.

Interview Questions

• You will have to work with big data sets (...paraphrasing here). What would you do to import one of these data sets? (This question was basically to see if I was computer literate.)   1 Answer

Interview

Like many undergraduate research experiences, the hiring process consists of an online application that includes a required letter of intent or personal statement in addition to letters of recommendation and an official transcript.

Interview Questions

• Why do you (the student) want to participate in the SURF program in Gaithersburg, Maryland and what areas of NIST research interest you?   Answer Question

Student Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Interview

I applied online on usajobs.gov, got an email a couple weeks later asking for a phone screening. Then an on campus interview when the hiring team was in town. Asked questions about what I had done in the past, mostly behavioral, not a lot of technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions about resume, mostly behavioral and what I have done   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology (Rockville, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview offer was from internal referral.
    I had a short conversation with the a team member via phone. I went for an on-site interview for about 2 hour. It was a simple tour and a presentation from one of the group member. I made a presentation on my work after that, and we discussed the potential of collaboration.

Interview Questions

• Just about my research project and my opinion on solving their problems.   Answer Question

Guest Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Interview

I had one interview. During this interview I was asked a lot of general questions about cyber security for this internship. The individual giving the interview was very interesting and he really wanted to just wanted to see our thought process behind all his questions.