National Instruments Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 23, 2017

197 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

I submitted my application in spring to work during summer, but got called back for the fall semester. I received an email and set up a time for the interview. I drove up to the HQ for it. The interview was pretty standard. I was asked to introduce myself. We went through my resume and was asked about my previous projects from work and leadership positions. I later received a phone call to see if I wanted accept my offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

First step was a phone interview. Next was a in person interview with a senior administrative assistant and other admins in the department. Lastly an in person interview with the executive this role would be supporting.
    Overall negative experience because after waiting 2 weeks following the 3rd round of interviews I received no response to any of my follow up and eventually an automated reply from the jobs website, rather than a personal email or phone call.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied in person and online and then met with an interviewer ( current employee ) do to an interview, conducted a behavioral and asked computer science questions which took about an hour long to conduct. Received feed back later in the week from them.

Interview Questions

• In C++, copy a linked list by going through the original and not altering its state.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

First interview, I met with two employees, and took a grammar/editing test. Next interview, met with several panels of employees over the course of about six hours. Lunch and a campus tour were also provided. I was told the candidate selection process was very stringent and selective.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a few panel sessions that focused around previous work I've done, as well as a lot of "what would you do in this situation" questions. There was also a "test" where you talked to an engineer, watched them work with a product, and then reported on your experience in another panel session to show your aptitude.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to this position   1 Answer

Engineering Leadership Program (ELP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

6 Different Interviews:
    1 Cultural fit interview- 30 min
    1 Technical interview - 45 min
    1 behavioral interview- 30 min
    2 career path interviews- 30 min each
    1 technical presentation- 10 min
    Overall, the interviews are pretty standard although doing them all in one day is pretty hectic. These interviews were on site and we got to talk to employees and tour the campus.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself as a fit at National Instruments?   Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Spoke to NI at my schools career fair. The recruiters were very nice and informative about the program. A day or two later I was scheduled for an on-ground interview. The interview was behavioral with a technical component. It was fairly easy/fun. I was then flown out to the Austin, TX campus for a final round interview. The interview was easy but some of the employees seemed unprepared for the interview. They paid for a weekend out which was great too.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions about project experience. Technical questions about signal processing and simple mechatronic concepts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The National Instruments interview process is by far the most organized, talent-seeking, and mentally stimulating process I have been put through while applying for a job.

It began on campus while speaking to them at the career fair. A few general questions and they ask you and then they give you a chance to talk. The recruiters are great. Don't be fooled though, you are being evaluated right from the get go!

Second there was an on campus interview 2 days later. They interviewed 30 or so students on campus during the week they were there. The interview was 30 minutes biographical and 45 minutes of technical problem solving. Lots of questions about leadership and situational decision making. The technical portion was challenging, but they don't expect you to know the answers. They want to see how you think and the questions you ask. Everybody there knows what they are doing, so BS'ing will not work for the technical portion.

Lastly, you go to Austin for a few days of final round interviews. 4 students from my school were invited down for a full 8 hours of interviewing, then given 2 nights there to roam the city and see if you like Austin (all paid for). You are given a sponsor for the weekend and they will offer up some fun activities for you. Oh... And ALL THE FOOD IS AMAZING (and again, paid for).

The process was so wonderfully organized it took all the pressure off and you could just have fun. There are 6 interviews during your day on their campus -company fit, biographical, your choice of two company department heads you prefer in advance, another technical interview, and then a prepared 10-15 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. It is mentally draining, but an amazing experience.

Have fun and soak it up. I learned more in the interviews on some subjects than I have in many classes in college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I talked with the recruiter at the college career fair, which got me the on campus interview. The on campus interview was a 45 minute personality interview followed by a technical interview. If you want to work at National Instruments, make sure you know your DSP and hardware. I was asked about aliasing, minimum sampling frequencies, and the number of channels in an 8-bit DAQ.

Soon after, I was invited in about a week or two to an on-site interview. I was flown out to Austin, TX to complete the interview, which was an all day event. There was a cultural fit interview, followed by a behavioral interview, and two technical interviews. The systems engineering technical interview was particularly difficult, but I'm not a EE, so that may have been part of it. Afterwards, there was a tour of the office.

I received an offer and was given a generous extension to fit my university's recruiting guidelines. NI provides an interview buddy that helps you navigate the interview day and being able to ask them questions was very helpful. NI sounds like a great company to work for, but I'm not sure if it ultimately fits with my long term goals.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a bad leader you've worked under and why were they a bad leader?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interviewer asked me a few behavioral questions about leadership and community, then moved to technical questions. The technical questions weren't difficult, I think they wanted to see how you problem solve.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went out of your way to help somebody. Preferably within work or school.   Answer Question