National Instruments ELP Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Instruments ELP Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

3.2

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Met through a recruiting dinner at my university. the interview was half behavioral questions, half technical questions. The recruiter asked about my background, any side projects I had done outside of school, times when I encountered a difficult problem and how I solved it,etc. It seemed like a pretty straight-forward interview and I felt like I did pretty well, but I think they judge more harshly than I expected.

Interview Questions

• Design a control system to regulate the temperature of a room if you have a simple space heater and a laptop   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Pretty relaxed. Got asked some hardware and pseudocoding questions. Also the typical behavioral questions to determine if you fit the company culturally. If you do well they fly you to Austin to continue the process.

Interview Questions

• Array of positive and negative numbers. How would you output the longest continuous amount positives elements.   Answer Question
    • If you get 1% loss on a 10mV signal, what could you do to improve the problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview consists of two parts: behavior questions and technical questions. The questions are not very tricky, and you should prepare for those behavior questions by searching for general interview behavior questions. Technical questions are just vague, pay attention to the details. One thing needs to be pointed out is that always keep the big picture in your mind. for example, what would you do if something did not work out? What part could possibly go wrong. I believe this would help you prepare for the interviews better.

Interview Questions

• Q: Is there a time you have a great idea and you managed to make it realized?
      Q: You have a computer, and some necessary components. Design a control system that could keep the room temperature at a certain degree.
      Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Instruments in October 2015.

Interview

Went to National Instruments's booth at the career fair and was offered an interview the day after. Since the recruiters were only at my campus for a little while, they had a cycle of interviewees coming in and out every 30 minutes. The interview, conducted by two interviewers, consisted of both behavioral and technical questions and ran about 45 minutes or so. At first, there's a short resume screening then the interview went straight into the core with behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• There's an array of 100 elements from 0-100, i.e. one number from 1 to 100 is missing. Give three ways to find that missing number.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Interviewed on campus and then was invited on site ~6 months later for an on-site interview. The hosts did a great job with showing the interviewers around Austin and having a great time. The interview process was stressful as there were many interviews back-to-back and there was no time in between to take a breath and prepare for the next one.

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at National Instruments in September 2015.

Interview

I met them through a career fair recruiting event. The interview process involved two behavioral/character questions and two technical questions. The technical questions were not too difficult, you just have to know coding and hardware pretty well. Other than that they really help you out throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• If there was an array of numbers from 1 to 100, and there was a missing number. How do find the missing number   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Tempe, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

After talking to recruiter at a job fair, they contacted me that night to set up an interview on campus the next day. Interview questions were standard and asked one technical question about monitoring temperature in a vat of chocolate. They asked me what times I can come the next day if I made it to the next rounds of interview. Got a call that night saying I made it through. Second interview was similar to the first but with two interviewers instead of one. They asked similar behavioral and technical questions. This one asked two ways to find a missing number in an array between 1-100. Once the interview was finished I was told I'd get an email the next few weeks on whether I made it or not. 2 weeks later I got the final onsite interview and in the process of flying out to Austin.

Interview Questions

• One technical question about monitoring temperature in a vat of chocolate another was two ways to find a missing number in an array between 1-100.   Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Met at the career fair and honestly didn't expect a response. Ended up getting a response that night about interviewing the next week, half technical, half personal. A second interview three weeks later over the phone completely character responses. The offer came through a few weeks after that, then another two comparing options. Both times very prompt about the next stage and times to be available, never had to shift time slots. Once offered, constantly in contact from multiple employees giving support for any questions. Great HR department, very personal experience.

Interview Questions

• Probably more difficult for myself to answer since my background is not coding, but "how do you find the missing number in an array of 1 to 100?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

competitive offer off the bat, no negotiations necessary. Came within $200 (including all packages and relocation funds) of another similar internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted on campus. I met with a rep at a career fair and talked with them for a while. Then I was contacted by National Instruments to have an on campus interview. Another employee conducted the interview. It was a very relaxed interview consisting of behavioral and technical questions. The interviewer was really nice and helpful during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I attended a small conference by NI hosted at my University. I really wasn't all that interested but, after the talk, they were having interviews. The questions in it were very basic however, I know from a friend you had to have a minimum GPA to even have a shot. After that, I was asked to fly to Austin for a day of interviews and such.

Interview Questions

• There are 101 numbers and one of them is missing how to find out which number is missing?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A