National Instruments Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 30, 2017

3.2

Senior Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

It was largely impersonal. I never saw outside of a conference room. Through rotating groups, it was a combination of technical and behavior questions, although mostly technical. As it was for a senior position, it started with a short presentation about previous work. Besides the questions, I would have expected much more of a tour of the facilities, selling me on them as much as them on me.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handled a project that was falling behind its original schedule.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Atlanta, GA) in February 2016.

Interview

it is a 30-45 mins 1-1 interview locating at a hotel conference room near my college.
    I met the interviewer on the campus career fair and info session.
    They let me choose to have technical or behavior interview first.
    The overall interview is not that hard.

Interview Questions

• Design a State Machine, and analyze the delays.
      Review some projects on the resume.

Digital Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

On-campus interview. It was two behavioral questions plus some technical questions. I was interviewed by two hardware engineers. They were cordial and very helpful. They helped me along when I was unsure of how to proceed with the problem. They were planning to ask me more technical questions, but we ran out of time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to research something and apply it to your project.
      Design a circuit for a 101 detector.
      Design a circuit for a 101 detector, and let the output be high for 3 clock cycles after sequence detected.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Interview

Sad, cuz I did crap, but the questions are really quite basic. They helped me a little bit on the process. But I did really terrible on the process. So prepare prepare guys!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

The intern interview lasts about 45 minutes and includes 3 parts: 1) ask some personal information like visa status, graduation date. 2) ask you to describe two personal experiences on problem solving and designing. 3) Give you 15 minutes to solve a problem on digital circuit. Of course, the rest of time is Q&A

Interview Questions

• Describe a experience that you encounter a difficult problem which takes you a very long time, says months, to solve it. What's the problem and how did you figure out and solve it?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer I Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

They got back to me about a couple of weeks after I submitted my application online. The interview was 45 mins long and they asked mostly behavioral questions and one technical question. The questions were mostly about leadership experience and experience in hardware debugging skills. She listed out the whole process at the beginning of the interview and the whole process was straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Given a sequential series of inputs, output a 1 for a unique sequence of 101.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Troy, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

National instruments made an info session in the college that I study and I attended. After the presentation some recruiters stayed there and chat with us. They gave us more details about the job and took our resumes with no need to apply online.

Two weeks after it I received and email inviting for a campus interview. The interview took about 40 minutes and we went through technical and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• They worked with me through the process of how to implement a system to record a person voice in a computer. They asked the question as stages like, "What would you use?" very general then they asked "But the computer would be able to read the microphone directly?" which was even a tip to know that should put a converter since the microphone output is analog and the computer is only able to read digital signals.

It was also asked a pretty basic question about software that was "given an array not ordered which numbers in the range 1-100, suppose it is missing a number how would you proceed to know which number is missing?"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (College Station, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

There were too parts to the interview, a behavioral interview and a technical interview. The behavioral was pretty straight forward following the STAR interview process and the technical portion was one question.

Interview Questions

• Gave me a sequence of 0's and 1's and asked me to implement this using flip flops.   1 Answer

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Applied online and talked to people at Career fair. Interview lasted 45 min with questions about experiences and learning. I had to talk at length about specific problems I solved and how I solved them. There was a technical question at last. Had to be well prepared.

Analog Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Provo, UT) in September 2015.

Interview

Went to a luncheon hosted by the company and gave them my resume at the career fair the next day. They hosted a dinner for those to whom they extended an interview to go over general company info and then the candidates were split up into software, hardware, leadership, and full-time groups to discuss specific interview questions. Interview consisted of 2 behavioral questions (tell a time you had to troubleshoot a problem and the path you took to do it; tell about a time you went above and beyond of what was required). This was followed by 2 technical situations (filters with capacitors and op-amps). Several questions were asked on these two topics to insure an understanding instead of spewing memorized information.

Overall, interview was a great experience. I suggest brushing up on topics based on the type of interview you go for.

Interview Questions

• Solve the gain of a non-inverting op amp. Suppose the input to the op amp was a 2.5 VAC source with a 2.5 V DC offset. Alter the op amp so there is no offset on the output voltage.   1 Answer