National Instruments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2017

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments (Lincoln, NE) in October 2016.

Interview

was okay, but they start asking software question before they know anything about you. However, it was a good experience interviewing with them. The software question was easy but I was not prepared for it. I took C language long time ago and forgot how to do the code

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I talked with the recruiter at the college career fair, which got me the on campus interview. The on campus interview was a 45 minute personality interview followed by a technical interview. If you want to work at National Instruments, make sure you know your DSP and hardware. I was asked about aliasing, minimum sampling frequencies, and the number of channels in an 8-bit DAQ.

Soon after, I was invited in about a week or two to an on-site interview. I was flown out to Austin, TX to complete the interview, which was an all day event. There was a cultural fit interview, followed by a behavioral interview, and two technical interviews. The systems engineering technical interview was particularly difficult, but I'm not a EE, so that may have been part of it. Afterwards, there was a tour of the office.

I received an offer and was given a generous extension to fit my university's recruiting guidelines. NI provides an interview buddy that helps you navigate the interview day and being able to ask them questions was very helpful. NI sounds like a great company to work for, but I'm not sure if it ultimately fits with my long term goals.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a bad leader you've worked under and why were they a bad leader?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The National Instruments interview process is by far the most organized, talent-seeking, and mentally stimulating process I have been put through while applying for a job.

It began on campus while speaking to them at the career fair. A few general questions and they ask you and then they give you a chance to talk. The recruiters are great. Don't be fooled though, you are being evaluated right from the get go!

Second there was an on campus interview 2 days later. They interviewed 30 or so students on campus during the week they were there. The interview was 30 minutes biographical and 45 minutes of technical problem solving. Lots of questions about leadership and situational decision making. The technical portion was challenging, but they don't expect you to know the answers. They want to see how you think and the questions you ask. Everybody there knows what they are doing, so BS'ing will not work for the technical portion.

Lastly, you go to Austin for a few days of final round interviews. 4 students from my school were invited down for a full 8 hours of interviewing, then given 2 nights there to roam the city and see if you like Austin (all paid for). You are given a sponsor for the weekend and they will offer up some fun activities for you. Oh... And ALL THE FOOD IS AMAZING (and again, paid for).

The process was so wonderfully organized it took all the pressure off and you could just have fun. There are 6 interviews during your day on their campus -company fit, biographical, your choice of two company department heads you prefer in advance, another technical interview, and then a prepared 10-15 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. It is mentally draining, but an amazing experience.

Have fun and soak it up. I learned more in the interviews on some subjects than I have in many classes in college.

ELP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (College Station, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was split into two parts, behavioral and technical. The behavioral questions were standard ones. The technical ones were easy as long as you brush up on the material before hand.

Interview Questions

• You have an array 0-100 and there is a missing number. Write a program that can figure out what the missing number is.   Answer Question
    • You have a person that wants to record themselves and the you have all the materials to do this. Design a system that can do this   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interviewer asked me a few behavioral questions about leadership and community, then moved to technical questions. The technical questions weren't difficult, I think they wanted to see how you problem solve.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went out of your way to help somebody. Preferably within work or school.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewed on campus once then went to their campus for follow up interviews. Mix of technical and behavioral interviews. Good experience. Questions were about as expected-- basic data structures and behavioral types

Graduate Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Gainesville, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

I was asked by a recruiter to apply online, because I had interviewed with NI in the past. I then met the recruiter I had been in contact with at my University's career fair. They called me later that evening to arrange an interview for the next morning. The interview was about one hour long with some technical and behavior questions.

It's been about two weeks, and I have not heard back from them yet.

Interview Questions

• Write code to reverse the order of a linked list.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you were working on a project, and things didn't go as planned.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and through my university's career site. I got an interview around 2 weeks later to be scheduled the end of that week. I got an email after around 2 weeks saying I was rejected. Technical questions were easy, so I'm thinking I didn't correctly answer the behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Find average of binary tree (Iteratively and Recursively)   Answer Question

ELP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Norman, OK) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a Behavioral and technical interview. The interview lasted roughly 30 minutes. I enjoyed the interview process. The employees are very relate-able. It was my first technical interview and they understood. He made it clear they were trying to determine how each candidate thinks so being a external processor helps.

Interview Questions

• Find a missing number in a array of 100?   1 Answer

New Graduate Engineering Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments in September 2016.

Interview

Had an interview with an NI employee the day after speaking to them at my college job fair. Lasted about a half hour to 45 minutes. Have not heard back from them yet.

Interview Questions

• Technical question about coding and another about software/hardware setup.   Answer Question