National Instruments Technical Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Instruments Technical Writer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

First interview, I met with two employees, and took a grammar/editing test. Next interview, met with several panels of employees over the course of about six hours. Lunch and a campus tour were also provided. I was told the candidate selection process was very stringent and selective.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a few panel sessions that focused around previous work I've done, as well as a lot of "what would you do in this situation" questions. There was also a "test" where you talked to an engineer, watched them work with a product, and then reported on your experience in another panel session to show your aptitude.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to this position   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

A recruiter came to my school and spoke about the company. Afterwards, he gathered resumes. My teacher suggested I go for this job, I'm really qualified etc. So, I submitted a resume, cover letter, and three writing samples, one of which was "technical," that is I gave step by step instructions on how to do something. I had an interview at NI that involved an hour or so of behavioral questions followed by an editing test. Got a call back within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview questions (e.g. how did you deal with a slacker in a project?)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

Be ready for a long day of many interviews. By the end of the day, you will feel brain dead. The day begins at 7:30 and doesn't end until around 8:00 pm. You have a host that gets you from Point A to Point B and s/he says she isn't interviewing you and that you can relax, but s/he votes on whether or not to hire you so it's best to have your game-face on at all times. During every interview, they will probe on technology interest and behavioral questions. They mainly just want to know that you can work well with others and that you can learn.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you worked with a team and disagreed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX).

Interview

I found the job online and applied. Had nearly forgotten about it when I got an email almost 8 weeks later asking for more information and writing samples. Then they set up a phone interview and an editing test.
    The phone interview asked for more context about some of the portfolio I had submitted, and past experience. Most of it was behavioral questions about conflicts during group work.
    I was then invited to their company HQ to interview in person. It was a series of interviews, typically with a few interviewers, and a couple 1 on 1 interviews and demonstrations. Most questions were about how I worked with groups, and how I approached learning new things.

Interview Questions

• Since most questions were behavioral, the hardest thing was trying to give fresh answers. I didn't want to rehash the same stories at every interview, because I thought I would come across as boring when they compared notes and all got the same story.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

The application process started with a resume and cover letter. I was sent an editing test to take online and send in, where I edited an error-ridden technical document. I was also asked to send in two or three technical writing samples. I was invited down to their main campus to interview with three current employees. A week later, I received a polite email declining to hire me.

Interview Questions

• What activities have you done in the past that were like technical writing? What kind of feedback did you receive?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

I was contacted via email and asked to come to the campus for an interview. I interviewed with 2 members of the technical writing team for about 45 minutes and then I was asked to edit and proofread a piece of documentation (timed at 20 minutes, I think).

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a work experience when you made a suggestion that was used to improve a work process?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

I submitted an application online, and received an email from a current technical writer asking for more information 7 or 8 weeks later. I provided them with my current GPA and several writing samples. A day later I got an email about setting up a phone interview and an editing test. The phone interview lasted less than an hour, and was conducted by the same technical writer who had emailed me. Questions were largely behavioral and focused mostly on collaborative work. The editing test was a timed edit of a product manual, focusing on style and consistency.

Several days after the phone interview, National Instruments invited me to an on-site interview. They provided a list of several Fridays to visit, and arranged all the travel and accommodations. The on-site interview consisted of a full day of group interviews, product demonstrations, a campus tour, lunch with other technical writers, and a writing test. Outside of the writing test, the interviewing is behavioral. Great emphasis is put on collaboration and technical experience. The general structure and career paths of NI are outlined. All interviewers are technical writers of varying levels of experience.

NI provides a host to ferry candidates between interviews and answer questions through the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between journalism and technical writing.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments in January 2013.

Interview

It was a pretty standard tech company interview starting with a call, then there was an editing test, and then an on-site. Everyone was friendly and generally helpful. It's a fairly large campus depending on your previous work experience, so the size and navigation could be overwhelming at first. Getting a tour is pretty cool since there's walking trails and a cafeteria.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

I applied for the job through their website, and I received an email from a senior technical writer two and half weeks later informing me they would like to set up an initial interview. I was given the option of having a phone interview or an interview on the campus, and I opted for the the on-campus interview because I live within a reasonable distance. The interview took place the following week, and I arrived on campus and waited for my interviewer in the lobby, which was really nice and impressive because of all the awards displayed on one of the walls. My interviewer met me in the lobby, and they took me up to one of the conference rooms where the actual interview would take place. Once we were in the room, the interviewer told me another person would be joining in as well as part of training process so they could learn to conduct interviews. They were both really polite and friendly, and I was given a brief overview of how the interview would go before we actually began. I was asked typical behavioral interview questions, and the second half of the interview consisted of a timed, 20 minute editing test. I didn't find the test to be very difficult as most of the errors seemed to be pretty obvious, but the interviewer did mention that I was encouraged to look through the entire document instead of focusing on just one page. The document was five or six pages long, and I was instructed to edit for grammar, style, punctuation, and voice. I was given the option of keeping my own time or having time kept for me, and I opted to have the time kept for me, which also included a 5 minute warning. The conference room had a clock on the wall as well, so I was able to gauge how much time I had left for the other pages. I received an email slightly over a month later to let me know my interest in the company was appreciated, but I was not selected for the position. Overall, my experience was really positive, and the company seems like a good place to work. During the walk to the conference room I noticed everyone was in very casual dress and generally all seemed to be in good moods, which I took to be a sign of a good work environment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had an innovative idea that was implemented.   Answer Question