National Interstate Underwriting Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Underwriting Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at National Interstate (Fenton, MO) in May 2011.

Interview

Acquiring this position took on a three part process.
1) The initial interview was a phone interview. This was merely to inform me that they were interested in moving forward with the interview process, tell me a little about the position, and, most importantly, make sure that I was a real human being. This was a very laid back conversation with a woman that was very personable. No pressure or further details necessary.

2) The second step was to come in for a "real" interview. This portion started with me talking more with the HR woman that had conducted the initial phone interview. This was a much more typical situational interview. Describe a time when.... Give an example of.... etc. Although this took a little more thought than the phone interview, honest answers made this phase a breeze. I would recommend not trying to lie on this part. As I stated before, honesty is what will land you this job.
      For the second, and last, part of this step I was interviewed by the underwriting managers with whom I would potentially, and eventually, work under. This was extremely relaxed and informal. It was at this point where I got the chance to ask the technical questions that pertained to what I would potentially be doing for the company. The two women that I interviewed with were very easy going and this their personable attitudes continued throughout the internship.

3) This last step isn't really a part of the interview process, but rather another "interview-like" situation that you would face upon accepting a position. Because this branch of the company is pretty small, the executives of the company are very accessible. You will be given the opportunity to do a meet-and-greet session with both the president and CEO of the company. They are very easy to talk to and make common chit chat very comfortable. This is also a good chance to make that valuable first impression to an executive with the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were put in charge of a group.   Answer Question
  • What would you do if you were presented with a question in which you didn't know the answer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The internship offer is non-negotiable. As with any internship, the experience is what you gain the most from.