National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

2.6

115 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Field Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview is a general question/answer format about work experience, your contributions, expectations and then the manager or supervisors will break out a schematic of a particular piece of NOV equipment.

The schematic test is designed to stress you out, especially if you are new to the industry. They want to see how you handle under pressure, if you will give up or get frustrated. Just take your time and work through the process, if you are familiar with schematics you will probably do great, if not, it's ok, they will help you through as long as you demonstrate you can learn as you go and keep trying.

Interview Questions

• Troubleshoot a top drive motor given a verbal description of the problem and a schematic of the piece of equipment in use.   Answer Question

Engineering Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

It took about 3-4 weeks after I initially applied for the position for HR to call me and set up an interview. The first round was a phone interview with the supervisor/manager. The second interview was a panel interview where they were able to ask me questions and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel?   1 Answer
    • How would you explain technical subject matter to someone non-technical?   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a call for the interview with the panel. It was kind of technical+ HR round. It is a beautiful place to work and the people are amazing. I am done with my first round and waiting for the call on their decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • They asked me to rate my C and C++ skills. Then they asked me the difference between C and C++.   1 Answer
    • Gave a code and asked me to explain its operation.   1 Answer
    • Asked about polymorphism, inheritance and abstraction.   Answer Question
    • difference between == and === in JS.   1 Answer
    • Asked about closure in JS   1 Answer
    • Gave a scenario: In a dark room there is a drawer with 10 of white socks, 10 pair of black socks and 11 pair of blue socks and all being shuffled. What is the minimum number of socks that you need to pick in order for your to have at least one pair?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your strength and weakness?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you?   Answer Question

Field Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Brief interview discussing past positions and the job you applied for. The majority of the interview was about what you will be doing at NOV. It was really laid back and not overwhelming at all.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions.....where do you want to be in 5 years?   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

I interviewed with the director of the group for approximately 20 minutes, general introductions and background type stuff. After that I spent around half an hour taking a tour with one of the group managers and talked about my background, what kind of work I was looking to do, and what the job would entail, along with a couple "how would you approach this task" quesitons. After that I spoke briefly with one person working in the group and got a chance to ask some questions about the position while the manager went and discussed my interview with the director. I then went back and spoke to the director who asked what kind of pay I was looking for and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• What considerations would you take when laying out cables in this derrick?   Answer Question

Electrical Designer/Drafter I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a 5 person interview. Very casual and they just wanted to see what I know about electrical drafting. They introduce themselves and so did I. We just talked like any other interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about schematic diagrams. How long have you done this. Tell us about yourself. If two assignments were given to you both needed to be done today and you didn't have enough time how would you deal with the situation. How much do you know about the software and the system that we run on. How much experience do you have with electrical drawings and diagrams.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Conroe, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very easy and relaxing. I had the opportunity to meet with the hiring management boss who was very nice and open. I also interview with the sales managers which provide some great insight on how the department operation process work together. Got an overview of their software product and awesome facility. Also met with other developers. The hiring manager did not ask too many difficult technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is my strongest skill set?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with hiring manager. Then we sat around table and talked about my experience. It was the manager, VP and HR rep. They were suppose to get back with me but they did not so I called and they decided to not hire anybody for now.

Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Very detail questions about "what can you bring as far as training?' "how to improve and your career path" The interview was very calm and direct, first we had a tour of the building, introductions to the team and then sat down with several upper managers on a meet and greet.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviewed by Different Engineering Managers, they showed you around the company and they explain you what they are looking on an Engineer and what the expect from future engineers for this company.

Interview Questions

• They asked you about experience on previous jobs.   1 Answer