National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Engineering Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

It took about 3-4 weeks after I initially applied for the position for HR to call me and set up an interview. The first round was a phone interview with the supervisor/manager. The second interview was a panel interview where they were able to ask me questions and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel?   3 Answers
    • How would you explain technical subject matter to someone non-technical?   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Anderson, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied and was invited onsite to their Anderson Campus. I met with two of their employees, one was a developer the other was a product manager. After asking me about my resume, I was asked some general computer science questions. Really it was about C++ which I hadn't used in a long time. After that I was given a tour of the facility and got to see all that they were working on. Then I left.

Interview Questions

• What is a friend class?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between overloading vs overriding?   1 Answer
    • If I were to tell you that we had some outdated software that no one really knows about, there is no documentation, and I needed you to make an improvement to the code, how would you go about doing it?   1 Answer
    • How do you measure the voltage across a load? What about the current?   1 Answer

Field Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview is a general question/answer format about work experience, your contributions, expectations and then the manager or supervisors will break out a schematic of a particular piece of NOV equipment.

The schematic test is designed to stress you out, especially if you are new to the industry. They want to see how you handle under pressure, if you will give up or get frustrated. Just take your time and work through the process, if you are familiar with schematics you will probably do great, if not, it's ok, they will help you through as long as you demonstrate you can learn as you go and keep trying.

Interview Questions

• Troubleshoot a top drive motor given a verbal description of the problem and a schematic of the piece of equipment in use.   Answer Question

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Panel style interview with three people. I was given a case study about how I would approach developing a sales training of a new technology necessary for sales people to be trained on when presenting this new technology to new clients. It was a PowerPoint presentation where I presented what I would do when creating this training. After the presentation I was asked roundtable questions by each of the panel members. The process overall was nice all of the panel members were polite and professional. The only issue I had was the amount of time it took to let me know that I did not get the job. Maybe three months later I finally got a rejection email. It just would be really nice if HR would not be so slow about things like that.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult SME. How did you deal with them and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a call for the interview with the panel. It was kind of technical+ HR round. It is a beautiful place to work and the people are amazing. I am done with my first round and waiting for the call on their decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • They asked me to rate my C and C++ skills. Then they asked me the difference between C and C++.   1 Answer
    • Gave a code and asked me to explain its operation.   1 Answer
    • Asked about polymorphism, inheritance and abstraction.   Answer Question
    • difference between == and === in JS.   1 Answer
    • Asked about closure in JS   1 Answer
    • Gave a scenario: In a dark room there is a drawer with 10 of white socks, 10 pair of black socks and 11 pair of blue socks and all being shuffled. What is the minimum number of socks that you need to pick in order for your to have at least one pair?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your strength and weakness?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

I was asked for my resume from a tech to fill the position in the Permian Basin. After a few weeks of hit and miss attempts to meet our schedules met up and we got together over my lunch at the NOV facility and just had an awesome conversation and interview.

Interview Questions

• The biggest issue about hiring people in Midland-Odessa is a lot have a bad driving record, do drugs, and are not self starters.   1 Answer

Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (New York, NY).

Interview

They take Verbel interview & ask few Question about your working knowledge and experience.
    If you fill write candidate for job they put offer for the job & tell about company policy rules -regulation

Field Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Brief interview discussing past positions and the job you applied for. The majority of the interview was about what you will be doing at NOV. It was really laid back and not overwhelming at all.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions.....where do you want to be in 5 years?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

You need to know your environment. What kind of people you are working with and the health and safety risks you are going to be exposed to. Also, very diplomatic.

Interview Questions

• Are you an Alpha or a Bravo? We have a lot of Alpha Males on the floor, and we do not need a pushover running projects...   1 Answer

Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Iberia, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (New Iberia, LA) in August 2016.

Interview

Found location, we. nt to front desk, taken to conference room, met by 3 supervisors, asked normal questions, and how I thought I would fit into the company. Nice people.

Interview Questions

• How I thought that I would rise in the company in the next 5 years.   Answer Question