National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Engineering Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

It took about 3-4 weeks after I initially applied for the position for HR to call me and set up an interview. The first round was a phone interview with the supervisor/manager. The second interview was a panel interview where they were able to ask me questions and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel?   3 Answers
    • How would you explain technical subject matter to someone non-technical?   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Very straightforward and simple. But each manager is completely different. Mine was situational and easy going. The manager just wanted to find my skill set to see if it matches his overall needs.

Interview Questions

• What do you do on a day to day basis?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with hiring manager. Then we sat around table and talked about my experience. It was the manager, VP and HR rep. They were suppose to get back with me but they did not so I called and they decided to not hire anybody for now.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by face to face interview. Did a walk around the job site and shown the various operations in progress. Offered was made and accepted the following day. They have drug screen and background check

Interview Questions

• Why are you making a change in your field   1 Answer

Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Sugar Land, TX).

Interview

When I was hired on there really was no process. Just talked to the supervisor hiring and he liked me so I was hired.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Went through a consulting company. Had 2 interviews with the hiring manager. Was offered the position right at the end of the 2nd interview. On the 1st interview, I was asked if I knew a certain language which I didn't and told them that I am very quick learner. After talking to me, the hiring manager gave me a URL for a tutorial and asked me to review and come back in a week to see how much I learned. I told my recruiter that I wanted to come back in 4 days. After I came back in 4 days I was able to demo the application that I created and the hiring manager was very happy with my performance.

Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Conroe, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very easy and relaxing. I had the opportunity to meet with the hiring management boss who was very nice and open. I also interview with the sales managers which provide some great insight on how the department operation process work together. Got an overview of their software product and awesome facility. Also met with other developers. The hiring manager did not ask too many difficult technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is my strongest skill set?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I think it was simple process. They asked about work history and experience, and some basic questions about programming. I got interviewed by three persons, one-one each time. Just be honest and try your best.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

I received the interview through a family member who knew a recruiter at NOV. The company I interviewed for was actually called FiberSpar, a firm which NOV recently purchased. I found the staff accounting position, applied for it, and then the recruiter forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. He called me within a week and set up a 1:1 in-person interview at FiberSpar's HQ. The interview consisted of several basic behavioral interview questions as well as several technical accounting questions relating to account reconciliations. The hiring manager was very informal and mentioned things which I have never heard another interviewer say, "E.g. I'm not going to ask you stock interview questions because I want to get to know you." Overall I found the experience a neutral one as the recruiter who helped me out was fantastic and very sweet, but the hiring manager never even bothered to call be back and tell me the position had been filled. So I felt slighted in that way, but was very pleased with the positive conduct of the NOV recruiter. Overall this experience was neutral.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job? How does your past experience make you a good fit?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Baton Rouge, LA) in November 2014.

Interview

It was long and difficult. Don't expect to prepare for the interview. It was 4 to 1, 4 of them asked me questions. Your next question based on your previous answer. It was a personal behavior test. If they like you, they will hire you.

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I was hired through a staffing agency. The process was pretty simple. I applied one day and was working the next. There weren't too many questions asked. Just general office related things. I am still here and grateful to be. They do a good job of teaching you a lot to make you more valuable to the company.