National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

64 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Anderson, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied and was invited onsite to their Anderson Campus. I met with two of their employees, one was a developer the other was a product manager. After asking me about my resume, I was asked some general computer science questions. Really it was about C++ which I hadn't used in a long time. After that I was given a tour of the facility and got to see all that they were working on. Then I left.

Interview Questions

• What is a friend class?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between overloading vs overriding?   1 Answer
    • If I were to tell you that we had some outdated software that no one really knows about, there is no documentation, and I needed you to make an improvement to the code, how would you go about doing it?   1 Answer
    • How do you measure the voltage across a load? What about the current?   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a call for the interview with the panel. It was kind of technical+ HR round. It is a beautiful place to work and the people are amazing. I am done with my first round and waiting for the call on their decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • They asked me to rate my C and C++ skills. Then they asked me the difference between C and C++.   1 Answer
    • Gave a code and asked me to explain its operation.   1 Answer
    • Asked about polymorphism, inheritance and abstraction.   Answer Question
    • difference between == and === in JS.   1 Answer
    • Asked about closure in JS   1 Answer
    • Gave a scenario: In a dark room there is a drawer with 10 of white socks, 10 pair of black socks and 11 pair of blue socks and all being shuffled. What is the minimum number of socks that you need to pick in order for your to have at least one pair?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your strength and weakness?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you?   Answer Question

Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Iberia, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (New Iberia, LA) in August 2016.

Interview

Found location, we. nt to front desk, taken to conference room, met by 3 supervisors, asked normal questions, and how I thought I would fit into the company. Nice people.

Interview Questions

• How I thought that I would rise in the company in the next 5 years.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Anderson, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online. First I had interview on phone with hiring manager. Then I was called for onsite interview It was second round. It took about 2 weeks total. It was for entry level position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked basic questions on my academic projects. No technical question.   1 Answer

Regional Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monongahela, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Monongahela, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Multiple interview process. Very professional. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and also the operations manager of the shop I would be selling for. First interview was for an hour and very thorough. I felt comfortable and atmosphere was great in a private office. Second interview was in a bigger private office and was over 2 hours. Nice experience all around.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of how you overcame your competition ? What strategies did you use?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with hiring manager. Then we sat around table and talked about my experience. It was the manager, VP and HR rep. They were suppose to get back with me but they did not so I called and they decided to not hire anybody for now.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

This was actually for NOV division named Tuboscope at their location on Holmes Rd.

Three great interviews with actual hiring manager, his manager, and future coworker all sabotaged by racist black, female, misogynist, dead-affect-face, hateful HR idiot Ms. Ophelia who literally has books from the 90s on her shelf about how to run an HR department and who uses outdated and unethical questions/interview process to eliminate you rather than welcome you onboard.

It is NOT HR's job to interview you! Their job is to process you, that's it! But Ms. Hater actually complained and interfered that the manager wanted to hire me on direct (as prior communicated to my recruiter and which was overheard by two other of her coworkers); and she forced them to switch me to being contract first (temp) for less money. Ophelia also lied to me in that I knew what the salary amount was supposed to be going in; but she suggested the range was flexible (and could be a bit more), then went behind my back and said I was "priced out" because I wanted too much. What a bich!

Worst case of interview sabotage and hateful conduct I've seen in last 20 years of experience!

Interview Questions

• 1. Where do you see yourself in five years from now?
      2. Tell me what your hourly salaries were at jobs from 10 years ago?
      3. I also asked Ophelia, "You tell me--what qualifications or type of person are you seeking for this role?" and she completely missed that was an actual (not rhetorical) question.   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

First round was a telephonic interview, followed by a face to face interview. Telephonic round was basic C# and sql, 5 questions each. Face to face was 1 hour long.

Interview Questions

• Asked logic based questions in C#, asked to write code in C# to solve a problem,
      Also asked to write sql for a specific problem   Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Interview

Did two interviews on campus. Asked a few Engineering questions as well as behavioral questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. The first interview was with an HR representative and the next was with two of their Engineers. I recommend studying about the program and the company before interviewing.

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Conroe, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Spoke with head developer and project manager. Very professional, kind and knowledgeable people. They looked at code that I had written in past projects. They asked me questions about my skill set. They spoke at length about what they were working on and I soon realized that it was beyond anything I had experience before.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know if I had worked with Agile software development.   1 Answer