National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Oilwell Varco Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.6

Field Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

Met with immediate supervisor, VP and President during three different interviews. The company covered the cost of travel, food and lodging during my visits to Houston for the interviews. In all it took about 4 months from initial call back until the offer letter was signed. Very casual atmosphere and laid back disposition by C-level personnel.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel 90% of the time?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviewed by Different Engineering Managers, they showed you around the company and they explain you what they are looking on an Engineer and what the expect from future engineers for this company.

Interview Questions

• They asked you about experience on previous jobs.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

Regular phone interview with an in person interview a week later. It was not all that difficult and the questions asked were similar to any questions you could look up online.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

This was actually for NOV division named Tuboscope at their location on Holmes Rd.

Three great interviews with actual hiring manager, his manager, and future coworker all sabotaged by racist black, female, misogynist, dead-affect-face, hateful HR idiot Ms. Ophelia who literally has books from the 90s on her shelf about how to run an HR department and who uses outdated and unethical questions/interview process to eliminate you rather than welcome you onboard.

It is NOT HR's job to interview you! Their job is to process you, that's it! But Ms. Hater actually complained and interfered that the manager wanted to hire me on direct (as prior communicated to my recruiter and which was overheard by two other of her coworkers); and she forced them to switch me to being contract first (temp) for less money. Ophelia also lied to me in that I knew what the salary amount was supposed to be going in; but she suggested the range was flexible (and could be a bit more), then went behind my back and said I was "priced out" because I wanted too much. What a bich!

Worst case of interview sabotage and hateful conduct I've seen in last 20 years of experience!

Interview Questions

• 1. Where do you see yourself in five years from now?
      2. Tell me what your hourly salaries were at jobs from 10 years ago?
      3. I also asked Ophelia, "You tell me--what qualifications or type of person are you seeking for this role?" and she completely missed that was an actual (not rhetorical) question.
      1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

First round was a telephonic interview, followed by a face to face interview. Telephonic round was basic C# and sql, 5 questions each. Face to face was 1 hour long.

Interview Questions

• Asked logic based questions in C#, asked to write code in C# to solve a problem,
      Also asked to write sql for a specific problem
      Answer Question

Next Gen Rotational Program Interview

Interview

Did two interviews on campus. Asked a few Engineering questions as well as behavioral questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. The first interview was with an HR representative and the next was with two of their Engineers. I recommend studying about the program and the company before interviewing.

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Conroe, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Spoke with head developer and project manager. Very professional, kind and knowledgeable people. They looked at code that I had written in past projects. They asked me questions about my skill set. They spoke at length about what they were working on and I soon realized that it was beyond anything I had experience before.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know if I had worked with Agile software development.   1 Answer

Quality Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco (Provo, UT) in April 2015.

Interview

They started with a phone interview. It was a three way call between me, HR, and the hiring manager. After the typical interview questions, I was asked to make an appointment to come and visit with them. I did so over email, and went into a sit-down interview. After interviewing with the entire team, each who asked questions, they took us all to lunch and promised a call back. I had an offer within two days.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in this position?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

Had initial phone call. There were two people on speaker. Asked mostly behavioral questions, and asked about current projects and what I was interested in. I was then contacted by email by the end of the week for second rounds. They put us in a hotel where we were given an itinerary for the night and following day. First night, social with current Next Gens. Following day tour of facilities, group activities, 2 interviews, and a dinner with upper management that was really nice. HR is great at this company! And the company atmosphere is very welcoming.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you failed at, what would you have done differently ?   Answer Question

I/E Tech Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at National Oilwell Varco.

Interview

Walked in and did interview with HR and Department Manager they asked a series of question in regards to the position in which i was applying for. Also I had to take a written test onsite. Plant tour afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Do you know anything about CNC?   1 Answer