National University of Singapore Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National University of Singapore Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2017

2.3

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in January 2017.

Interview

first submit CV and cover letter through email, then they inform you to do an online interview. During the interview, 2 professors from the department ask me about research experience, research interest and future plan.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for National University of Singapore

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2016.

Interview

It is a one-to-one interview. The PI asked me about some basic programming knowledge. Also some problems I put on my CV. We also discussed some foreseen issue about the ongoing project.

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview for research position really completely depends on the PI (principal investigator) that you're applying for. He/she has the complete freedom and choice for the interview style. In my case, it's just a very casual talk on the laboratory together with a laboratory tour to gauge the suitability for both sides.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what is your research interests and why do you choose to work in our research field   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2015.

Interview

Not very formal, just causal conversation and discussion about the goal of this position. The employer was nice enough to discuss every concern I have to prepare me better for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Basically I was asked about my backgrounds, specially my academic backgrounds. Questions are like where do I from, what schools did I attend, what kinds of work experience do I have (intern or part time). It is more like a talk, no need to prepare, and no need to print out the CV and stuff. The professor is very very nice. And he told me to do a trial run, if I can pass, I will get the offer.

Application

Interview

The interview panel consists of your direct supervisors as well as any other person who you are likely to work closely with.

Be prepared for technical questions as well as to state your motivations for applying for this position.

Generally as a research assistant you are expected to further your studies and they will be happy to accommodate to that. It is a plus if you intend to further your career in this field.

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

It took around 3 month to hire a person from other country, I went there for a workshop and luckily got time to discuss my interest with the professor. He interviewed me for an hour and satisfied with the knowledge and interest towards research and I was hired.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National University of Singapore (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2015.

Interview

Quick and simple. The panel not asked much tough questions but just make sure I was clear on the duties and responsibilities of the position and not demanding for the career path

Interview Questions

• Do you clear about this position's duties?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

There are two rounds of interview. The first one is a phone interview and the second is a face-to-face interview.

For the phone interview, the professor required me to call him at a stipulated time. When I called him, he picked up on first ring so it came across he remembered but just did not want to call. I take it as poor interview etiquette and to mean he is not reachable unless by appointment if you become his staff.

Throughout the interview, he was speaking meanly in a very nice way. He was asking for first authorship kind of work from me and asked about technical questions different from those used in his area of work and in his advertisement. He also asked whether I could write papers for grants which I came to understand it is his job scope as a professor. When I mentioned I did not have some of those I don't have (I knew about 70% of what he asked already), he went, "Oh, the kinds of job you had usually had your name on the publications last. People like you are good at analyzing things but had so much difficulty writing papers."

To be reasonable, he is paying less than S$3000 for this RA position and he is demanding intellectual work which is more likely his job scope.Then he should have asked for first authorships in his job criteria.

After I hanged up, I felt that he probably saw me a waste of time so he asked me to call him. Well, I have attended interviews in other universities to know things work in a better humane sense.

He even commented how people from other industries came to his interview and he did not want to see those people. Hence, the phone interview. Well, to be fair, the job market is getting very bad for job seekers. People just want to put food on their tables. For him as a junior ranked professor to make such comments to stranger interviewees, it's very unkind of him.

Interview Questions

• Expect technical questions different from those he stated in his job advertisement.   1 Answer

The pay is too low and unjustifiable for the job scope he is offering.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Met with Principal Investigator. Experiences related to project, what you can offer, explain experimental methods (i.e different type of PCR, some biology related questions etc). Took less than 30 minutes and was informal and easy going.