Nationwide Building Society Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Nationwide Building Society Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 15, 2017

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

telephone interview, assessment centre, second interview. Long gaps between application stages and I didn't get a second interview but they told us we would be told in 24 hours and to keep diaries free for a second interview but then sent rejections over two days later which felt unprofessional and discourteous. Interviewers pleasant and polite and the environment professional. Materials were clear what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Standard what makes you suitable, why nationwide, what's your leadership style. Assessment centre was written case study followed by group exercise with other candidates. Case study looked at business problem and write one page presentation which was handed in, not verbally presented. Group Exercise was material to assess and then decide as a group how to present.   1 Answer

Engagement and Events Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society.

Interview

Pre-qualified by internal recruitment. Invited to three hour assessment at head office. Assessment consists of case study exercise, interview and group presentation with other candidates.
    Case study was to draw together an events engagement programme for Nationwide and provide a project plan and evaluation. Interview asked standard questions about suitability, reasons for applying for the role.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Wakefield, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and had to do a computer assessment which was pretty easy, that same day I received a phone call to schedule a telephone interview. During this note down everything they say to you as they basically tell you how to answer. You're told to research the company and 1 specific service Nationwide offers. I chose the Flex one account for students (remember all this information for your interview day).

During the telephone interview speak clearly and avoid any slang terms, try build a relationship with the interviewer beforehand by asking how they are etc. After the telephone interview you are put on hold for a couple of minutes then told the outcome whether you have passed on to the next stage or not. After this you're transferred to someone that takes you through the interview process, again they tell you everything that happens and what to research.

During the interview say there was only 2 of us (one didn't show) I arrived around 10 minutes early in order to show passion for the job. You're then escorted up to a meeting room during this time make conversation and avoid silence to show off personality (I know how nerve wracking this could be but it pays off well). In the meeting room you are introduced to another 3 members of staff, a team leader and 2 assessors make sure to smile and make conversation, the most scariest bit for me was that they do a little ice breaker where you say your name age where you're from and an interesting fact about you (I don't have any so I would've liked to know beforehand to think of one) after that you're given a short presentation of the company and the role (ask questions they love that) sit straight and show you are listening to what they're saying, if you're confused don't hesitate to ask and if you want to ask don't rudely interrupt.

After this you're separated and are then in a room with one of the assessors who asks you short questions such as where do you work, how long for, have you got any holidays booked etc. Then they start with a competency based interview, describe a difficult time where you have stayed calm, describe a time you have gone the extra mile for someone, research these types of questions and think of the experience you have had. The one I think is very important is 'why nationwide' look into the company and jot down all the facts you like that makes nationwide stand out, I went on to talk about points they brought up in the presentation too such as 'award for working place for women' (I think the fact the assessor was a woman really helped). After this the assessors swap and you have a role play (I was not told this) the assessor turns away from you which is quite awkward. You have 15 mins to practice etc. During the call ask how they are and build rapport, take them through the security questions if any are wrong choose one of the three other security questions (you won't get it if not) mine was about someone that put a check in and was annoyed that the check didn't clear and s/he was still overdrawn, offer them to change there overdraft limit to the and ask how much they would like to increase it to, make sure you don't allow them to go over the limit. I didn't do any of this and totally blanked during this but the lady said it was just a training issue and not to worry. You're then taken on a 2 second tour of the building and shown out.
    The next day I received a call saying I got the job!

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you was behind on work, what you did and the outcome of this.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Airdrie, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Airdrie, Scotland (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted online application. Online assessments. Telephone interview. Face to face interview with 2 members of staff. Five minute presentation on a service of your choice - "Enthuse" about a product offered by Nationwide. Then some competency based questions regarding dealing with - difficult member of staff, changes to procedures, a time when you went the extra mile to offer excellent customer service.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult staff member   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a change in procedures   Answer Question

Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Brentwood, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

A short presentation on the company benefits, values and career opportunities. this was followed by a 121 interview with a member of management. This lasted for approx 15 minutes. The interview was quite relaxed and asked me to give scenarios on different customer situations. There were only three questions but you were expected to give full answers.

Interview Questions

• How do you build a strong relationship with a customer or colleague   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Straightforward process consists of 3 steps, online application and aptitude test, telephone interview and interview. Interview was with 2 managers who work for the same branch the post is advertised for. Interview last about 1.5 hours. At the end they discuss the current salary, your current location proximity to the bank which I believe they seriously consider to make the final decision. So, please be very careful.

Interview Questions

• All the interview questions were based on the documents they sent with the invitation to an interview, based on their behaviors. Also, a presentation about a nationwide product. Please prepare for it, you can get all the relevant information from their website.   Answer Question

Complaints Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Normal competency based interviews, which are expected. However, the telephone role play was a little silly, particularly as this wasn't a telephone role. One word of advice to the interviewers is check the name of the person you are interviewing before you greet them, it's not the best impression when you get their name wrong.

Also, I chased a response about the outcome three times before I received a rejection. This process lets the company down particularly as people are at the heart of the organisation.

Interview Questions

• If you could do any job, what would it be   1 Answer

Graduate Business Transformation Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

1. Online application and answer two questions.
    - In 200-300 words let us know what interests you in working for Nationwide and why this
    particular programme?
    - What are your current career aspirations and how might the programme help with this? (200-
    300 words for answer)

2. Online tests situational judgement, numerical and verbal reasoning.

3. Phone interview with really friendly HR (says 30 mins, line took 45).

2 practice questions (unmarked) such as:

- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
    - What is something you are really proud of?

Marked part of interview 9 questions (some require specific examples and some are hypothetical- what would you do?)

- At Nationwide the workplace is fast paced and always changing, is this somewhere you'd like to and enjoy working?
    - How would you deal with a change in procedure?
    - When given the opportunity would you prefer to work within a team or on your own?
    - How do you approach decision making?
    - Is this something you enjoy doing?
    - What does credibility mean to you?
    - How would you go about making yourself come across as a credible individual?
    - Would you say your family and friends describe you as driven and hardworking?
    - You have to present to the internal team, get feedback before presenting to senior members to secure funding tomorrow. How do you approach two different audiences?

NOTE: All graduate Schemes are in Swindon / a few places in Bournemouth. I did not know this until this stage and despite the application process going so well.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I recently applied for a customer service position in a Nationwide call centre. It's the only interview I've done that I knew I'd failed before I'd even started.

I arrived early as the paperwork stated the reception area can get very busy. I noticed that the majority of staff were female.

Prior to starting the interview process I asked to use the toilet. Both of the main toilet blocks had been converted to female rooms due to the much higher percentage of female staff. I am male and there was a single toilet which was also the designated disabled access point. As I left this single toilet there was a male member of staff waiting to use it.

This got me thinking, how would they cope with just one toilet if they suddenly employed more male staff members. That's when I realised I wouldn't be getting the job.

They told me I was only one point away from passing the interview process. It made me wonder how many other people were only one point away from passing the interview process and what their backgrounds were.

Another strange occurrence was that at the beginning of the day we were given a 20 minute briefing that covered health and safety such as fire escape points and an introduction to Nationwide. It was hosted by a member of staff from recruitment who stated she had 18 years experience with Nationwide. During the briefing this senior member of staff did not make eye contact with me once. However, she made constant eye contact with the two female candidates. I thought this was odd behaviour from someone with so much experience that should know how important eye contact is.

Senior Contact Targeting Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

This was an internal role and already would be a different experience than being an extermal applicant. Line manager was in the interview which I would definitely suggest not to do.

I was given about 1 1/2 days to prepare for the interview, which included a task. The task lasted 15mins which we then spent 10 mins going through, giving my answers as I saw fit. This is something I know colleagues who had applied for the same role (on different channels) did not have to do.

The next 1 hour was spent answering 5 competency questions, these were very similar, if not the same as the first interview I had attended for my current role. Again I answered the questions as I best saw fit.

I was then not offered the role, only to be told that they knew (my line manager included) that I was capable of doing the role, but I had not answered in the way they were looking for. So my current capabilities were not considered and it was solely based on interview performance.

Interview Questions

• A time you persuaded someone to your viewpoint?   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer