Nationwide Building Society Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2018

2.9

104 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Bournemouth, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

The entire process took around 2 months. Applied online and completed the online assessment after a few weeks received an email saying that I was invited for a phone interview. Did the phone interview * 30 minutes time and a few basic questions then after a few weeks received another email saying that I was invited for a branch interview with the branch manager.
    Did the interview with the branch manager and her assistant manager and again a few question about Nationwide , present Nationwide App , a game with explain a geometric figure to another person without mentioning the name - quite funny - and a math test.
    Did this stage and after 2 weeks received another email and phone call saying that I was invited to another interview and finally received an offer and accepted it.
    Different style of interview than the conventional one and I do really think that it was more candidate friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why Nationwide , what do you know about PRIDE and values   1 Answer

Marketing Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Firstly, there was an application with several competency questions. Followed by psychometric tests but similar to other companies.

I received a phone interview a couple weeks later that was strengths based and asking why I wanted to work for Nationwide. I was successful in the phone interview and asked to attend an assessment day in Swindon.

The assessment day consisted of 3 tasks. The first was a group task where we simulated an escape room (great fun). The second task was an individual task where we had to create a business plan and present it to a hiring manager. Finally we had an interview that was again strengths based.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Lincoln, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Online Application followed by recruitment evening 1-1 interview.
    At the recruitment evening the staff offered a short presentation about Nationwide and some info about some of their roles. Then all candidates went in for a 1-1 interview. They kept stressing it was a short and quick interview, so seemed like they weren't looking for long answers.. felt a bit rushed. I had prepared by learning info and facts about Nationwide but they didn't ask about any of it, or my past experience. Was a bit thrown by asking about why I had worked abroad and why I came back.. too personal and nothing about relevant experience. Also didn't give me an opportunity to give examples of past experience or STAR related answers that I had prepared.

Interview Questions

• Why nationwide? Asked about my time traveling/working abroad. How would you build a relationship with a customer? When were you in a situation where you found something difficult?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got through the telephone interview. I was invited to a face-to-face interview with the branch manager and customer service manager. 4 interview stages: competency questions, interactive exercises(without the other person looking, describe 9 symbols for that person to draw). role-play and some numerical questions (simple additions and how would you give out different amount of cash)

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society.

Interview

Waste of time!

I turned up and the reception staff were friendly but robotic.

The interview lasted less than 10 mins.

The interviewer did not stand up when I entered the room, did not great and seemed unprofessional.

There was no warm up, such as "Did you get here ok" or how are you. Not even an introduction to who they were.

I asked them more questions.

I did not get an offer due to being over experienced. YOU HAD MY CV SO WHY WASTE MY TIME!

Personal Banker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society.

Interview

A presentation about what the job was about, then a short 1-2-1 interview where you would either be invited for a second interview. The second interview was with 2 people and was about how would one approach different situations, and a role play interview

Interview Questions

• General questions about delivering customer service to clients   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Birmingham, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The process took around a month. I skipped the phone interview stage and received an invitation to have a 1-2-1 interview with manager. At the arrival the branch manager there were a few other candidates and we had a 5 min presentation about Nationwide. Then I had the interview with the manager and it all went well, she asked me a few questions about myself just to find out my previous experiences and skills. 2 weeks later I was invited for the 3rd and last stage of the interview, where I had to present one of Nationwide's product. I choose to present the Help to Buy Equity loan for first time buyers. I was interviewed by the Branch manager and the region manager. The interview went really well, smiles and nods throughout my presentation and the region manager said "brilliant" a couple of times after my answers. When they felt I was not specific enough they would ask more about the example. Next day in the morning, I received an email stating that I was not successful because I did not use the STAR approach enough ( only fault).
    The interview went great and I feel as though that response it is not valid because they asked for more information when needed and I used the STAR approach.
    What I will say is that I am African and I believe these jobs do discriminate against people and they are looking for a certain type of person. How many people do you see working in a Bank? Exactly my point.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were overloaded with work and had to meet deadlines?

Tell me about a time you had to work within guidelines and rules?

(after presenting my product ) - Tell me what is the best feature about this product and how would you make sure that this product is suitable for the customer?

Knowing that this product is suitable for the customer how would you try to sell it without sounding too persuasive?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Very quick process for myself. I received and email with a date and time for the first round of interview which was via telephone, then I was called within a few days explaining I had passed the telephone interview to be given a face to face interview in the branch.

After my face to face interview in the branch had finished, they explained I would hear back within 3 working days but my interview finished at 2:30pm and I was rang at approximately 3:30pm to be offered the job which I gladly accepted.

The 4 stage interview sounds really daunting but I can promise you as someone who is quite a nervous person the interview was one of the easier interviews I have had to date!

Good Luck

Interview Questions

• Telephone Interview

What could you bring to Nationwide?   1 Answer
    • Why Nationwide?   1 Answer
    • Telephone Interview

Explain a situation where you have had to deal with a ‘difficult customer’ what did you do for them and what was the outcome   1 Answer

SQL Server Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted via Linked in and after a telephone conversation an interview was arranged within 2 weeks. Interview pack was sent detailing what to expect from the interview and what they expected etc

Interview Questions

• Competency based questions... Name a time when you did X? Describe an example of etc. One scenario based question What would you do if...? And a couple of technical questions   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nationwide Building Society (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

applied for the role online, there was a online test after passing i had telephone interview which was for 10 min
    then after 2 weeks i had face to face interview which lasted for 30 min

Interview Questions

• why nationwide
      what do you know about the role
      tell us a time when you solved a problem
      a time when you had to deal with difficult colleague
      a time when you provided excellent customer service   Answer Question