Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 5, 2017

2.3

Health Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (Amarillo, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Basically a test over the phone that lasts one hour. Very uncomfortable/awkward. If you don't get the question right, the interviewer tries to give you hints and then proceeds to explain the right answer, which makes you feel like you have no background education on the topic. They did not focus on WHO the potential employee is such as their experience, work ethic, personality, ability to adapt to certain situations, etc. They email you a day before the interview stating they will be "testing" your knowledge on certain topics but they are actually looking for specific answers, which is a bit ridiculous. Of course I did not answer every test question exactly how they wanted to, but what do they expect? When people are put on the spot to answer something specific they learned five years ago in their college nutrition classes, I can imagine it would be difficult for anyone. I am a credentialed registered dietitian and they were not impressed with that. This company needs to fine-tune their interviewing process as they most likely miss out on people who have great potential (AND an nutrition degree) and are sadly "judged" by a test. You would think they are looking for a candidate who has an overall grasp of supplements, organic foods, antibiotic resistance, etc. and utilize their 4+ week training to brush up on the things that can be learned quickly. Their expectations and pay ($18/hr) do not correlate at all, so beware, RD's! Take your hard-earned skills to a company who will value that.

Interview Questions

• List the three n-3 fatty acids and specific sources of each   Answer Question
    • Explain the relationship between calcium and hydrochloric acid   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage.

Interview

It was a 3rd round interview for their corporate office. A two hour long, drilling and cold experience. They acted as if they wanted to disqualify you from the very first question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what internal metrics they were using for their ATS system.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage.

Interview

The manager was very overwhelmed and seemed quite stressed to fill several positions in the store. I love the interview process and connecting with new people so I stayed upbeat and positive. The manager was very quick to get back to me, same day, to offer me the job and I very much appreciated the brevity.

Interview Questions

• Availability was important, you have some autonomy for your office days but need to be flexible for your floor days so coverage can be met for all the departments.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a total of two interviews. I interviewed over the phone at first with a regional manager from corporate. I was offered an in person interview with the general manager at the store I would be working at at the end of the phone interview. The phone interview lasted about an hour and was compromised mostly of questions assessing my knowledge of vitamins and nutrition. It felt very laid back despite the questions being moderately difficult. I was provided with a guide of some of the types of questions they would be asking and it was very helpful to fill out ahead of time to be able to reference. The person that interviewed me was very helpful at answering any questions I had regarding the company, job, benefits, salary, etc.

The second interview was much shorter than the first (I'm sure this could vary based on location) but it lasted less than 15 minutes. Half of that time they asked me a few basic questions regarding how I would do certain things that are integral to the job and how I am equipped to handle such tasks. The other half of that time I was asking questions about schedule, day to day stuff, and other inquiries I had. Everything went very smoothly. They contacted me 3 days later and had me fill out some paperwork online so they could submit a background check. I was later called and offered the job after the background check cleared. Overall a very smooth process and pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you help someone choose a probiotic supplement?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage in January 2017.

Interview

was on the phone, very simple ask lots of questions about there policies , the interviewer was very nice and polite, informed me that i would know in a few days about the job

Store Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process went very well. I met with a store manager and we spoke about my strengths and weaknesses. Then I was called back to do a second interview, this time multiple managers were present (store / department managers). Overall it was a great process and everyone was very kind, professional, and pleasant to be around.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Natural Grocers?
      Are you detail oriented?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview

Store and assistant managers were both there. Discussed previous employment, goals for the future, and why I'd like to work with the company. The next day i got a call back, and started the next week.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage in December 2016.

Interview

Standard interview questions, no curve balls. First interview was a phone interview, then a face to face with HR/Hiring manager, I was able to continue to a 2nd face to face with the area manager.

Interview Questions

• All questions were standard questions, there were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Not professional. I was only asked 1 question and my experience wasn't even considered. Guess that explains the management. I wasn't given any written information on company. I was only told if i wanted to know anything all information was online.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. The young lady who was n charged od hiring said she didn't have that authorization. So didn't understand exactly y she was there.

Head Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (Denver, CO).

Interview

Very personable. Not too many "What would you do" questions. Focuses on experience and why you want to work for them. If the manger like you, you are in. Not much to it at all. They like energy, customer service and happy people.

Interview Questions

• Past experience and how it relates to what you want to get from working with NG.   Answer Question

Negotiation

none