Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Systems Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Systems Developer

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Systems Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage

1 Interview Review

2.0

Systems Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (Lakewood, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

The initial application was made on their website. I was contacted very quickly and did a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was quickly scheduled to do an in person interview, which was both individual with the hiring manager and later with a couple other members of his team. From there the process ground to a halt and I had to follow up several times to see if I was still in the running. It wasn't for another month that they finally asked me back for another interview, a whiteboard session. We simply discussed an issue at a high level and talked through some potential solutions. It was not in depth technical at all. It took about a week after that to receive an offer and offer letter. I made a counter offer for slightly more money, as they had offered me about what I was making at my current job. They agreed but said in order to do so they wouldn't give me an evaluation and possible increase for 1 year, instead of the standard 90 days. So they basically didn't really budge much. From there I worked with an HR person to get the hiring process finalized and paperwork signed.

Interview Questions

• A logic question, which I was sort of expected to be able to work out and answer over the phone. I said I could figure it out, but would need a bit of time to think through it and would email the answer. They were okay with that, as I promised not to Google for the answer. The question was: "You would have 8 balls, with 7 weighing the same and one heavier. How can you determine which is the heavier by using a balance scale only twice."   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did negotiate the salary up just a bit, but then was given a 1 year review instead of a 3 month review. In hindsight it was probably a wash. I would recommend negotiating PTO days, as the 5 days per year during the first year doesn't even start accumulating until after 90 days is up.