Naughty Dog Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Naughty Dog Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Naughty Dog

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Naughty Dog had been advertising for multiple positions for nearly a year. My impression is that they are either very picky or are using their postings to perpetually troll for new recruits. Either way, despite my many years experience, I was asked to perform a "technical interview" as my first interview. They had a Junior Engineer call me and basically give me a pop quiz over the phone on subject matter and minutiae that I have rarely had a practical use for nor did it overlap with the requirements for the job I thought I was interviewing for. At best, my experience with them was cold and confusing. At worst, I would consider them incompetent and generally unable to truly assess the abilities of those they interview.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was when they asked me to provide them the result of 2 to the power of 8. Really?   5 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Naughty Dog

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in July 2012.

Interview

Applied via resume submission online. There was a technical phone interview and a written test which was reasonable in length. Very shortly after, the recruiter flew me down to Santa Monica for an on-site interview--so far, so good.

However, once on-site, the review experience turned very negative. The interview was with 2 engineers and one of the co-owners of the studio and quite honestly he was a total jerk. He kept on interrupting and telling me what to do or not to do while I was trying to answer the questions. Seemed to get insulted when I didn't know random minutiae about how to optimize on the answers I had given to the problems posed. After about an hour, the 3 of them left the room and left me alone for 15 minutes (!?) and then the recruiter entered the room and told me they were declining, gave me cash for a cab fare (!?) and escorted me out. Since the interview was supposed to be an all-day affair, I ended up spending 12 hours in LAX waiting for my flight home.

After flying me across the country and taking up days of my time they didn't even have the decency to take the time to make a reasonable assessment, or even to shake my hand and thank me for taking the time to consider them. If that's how they treat potential recruits I really wonder how they treat their employees.

Interview Questions

• What's the fastest way to tell if 2 signed floats are the same polarity?   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog.

Interview

After phone screening, if you are a foreigner you will be requested to provide O-1 documents whether you are qualified to move to the states. If you are not, the interview process will not proceed.