Naval Research Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 1, 2016

2.4

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Received an email requesting interview. Interviewed at campus with boss. They asked many behavioral questions and toured me around the building and introduced me to various people. There were no technical questions that they but they did ask about my prior internships and prior hands-on experience.

Interview Questions

• If a senior engineer kept correcting your design iterations but you think one he said to redo was the best, what would you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory.

Interview

After applying online if you get an email from an employee who works there, you're already in the program. The "interview" they want to schedule with you involves mostly the employee talking about his or her work, and asking you if you think it's interesting. You could get 1-4 interviews, but you don't get to choose which employee becomes your mentor.

Research Physicist Interview

Interview

I worked here as a National Research Council post-doc first. NRL does most of its hiring from the post-doc pool. At the end of my postdoc, they asked me if I wanted a job. I said yes. It took about 6 months to fill out the paper work, which included them filing a "fake" posting on USAjobs and me "applying" for the position.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Everything is set by Congress.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

The head of the lab was soliciting recruits through my graduate school. I replied with my CV and was asked to come for an interview about a week or so later. I gave a 40min presentation on my graduate work, then met with the principle investigators and other lab mates one on one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate start date and coverage for moving expenses. Salaries and benefits are standardized.

Computer Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory.

Interview

Interview is very easy if you are really qualified. If you are not...don't bother.

Interview Questions

• Describe uncertainty in a mathematical/scientific way.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told me what the job paid and I said Ok.

National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview was predominately formal. The mentor I was in contact with had already agreed that I would be a good candidate for the group that I joined as a postdoc and so my presentation was to show people outside of the research group that I would be 'acceptable'. My background was very different than what I do at NRL so I focused upon the slight expertise I had that was unique to the field that not many have.

Interview Questions

• I was asked 'what would you contribute to your group?'   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed - salaries are determined by congress/executive branch.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC).

Interview

After sending my resume to the division's email twice, I heard back from the superintendent about a potential opportunity. They flew me out there for a visit/interview, which mainly consisted of me giving a presentation, and meetings with the different groups and a tour of the facility the rest of the day.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my presentation related to my research.   Answer Question

Summer SEAP (High School) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cheverly, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Cheverly, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

Everyone has to complete a pretty lengthy application for prescreening into the program, and then most mentors do phone interviews. My interview VERY informal. Because each mentor does their own interviews, this depends heavily on the mentor. I had a phone interview that lasted less than 15 minutes, and I was basically told that I had the job after 5 minutes. After getting the position there was a lengthy background check

Interview Questions

• What classes are you taking in school?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Engineering Spacecraft Design Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

Virginia Tech has an on-campus interviewing program that I applied to, but first met with the recruiter at our school's career fair, Engineering Expo. I attended their information session in the morning and signed up for the interview slot that followed.

Interview Questions

• Describe in more detail your project, research, and other engineering experience.   Answer Question
    • Explain what other hands on experience or technical knowledge do you have.   1 Answer

NRC Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in August 2011.

Interview

Contacted potential advisers, who were very helpful in writing a proposal to the NRC. When NRC scores were posted, I was invited for a visit where I gave a talk and met with several staff members who were interested in my work and other post docs/former post docs who can tell me about the program and my advisers. Returned home and waited a month or two before the hiring decision was made.

Negotiation

No negotiation