Navistar Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.9

78 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Staff Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Navistar (Warrenville, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with about five people. Lots of questions. Mostly canned interview questions. They seemed very interested in my past employment and how well I got along with others, to find out if I would get along with co-workers, it seemed like fair questions.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an ideal company with great customer service.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It took a while. They didn't want to pay me what I wanted. Lots of back and forth.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

Constantly felt as if i was being grilled, Questions were excessively repetitive, Interviewers were not even in the the group I would be working for. Asked questions that were too personal. I had to explain my job history as if they had no idea it was a actual career path.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked me a questions that related to certain database and program that was not specific to my position and was hounding me as to why i didn't know how to use it and belittled me.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Extensive. They have a mixer which I thought was creepy. They have everyone meet and they offer wine and beer and then they watch you to see how you interact. Then the next day you meet we two sets of people. The first set of people ask you questions regarding a case study and the second set of people ask you behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Educational Questions: All about CASH. They want to know how Navistar can maintain a large amount of cash flow so it looks good to creditors/investors. How would you do this? Probably bc Navistar lost all their government contracts and hasn't shown a profit in a few years ....yikes.

Behavioral: All based on LEADERSHIP. They want to see if you are confident. Its all a joke. I know of the people employed here and I am AMAZED with how this company is still afloat. Basically they want to know you perform in certain scenarios.   1 Answer

accepted offer elsewhere.

Ecommerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

A three person interview will focus on BBI competencies using the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action and Result. BBI competencies such as Initiative/Action Oriented, Functional/Technical, Interpersonal Savvy, Perserverance and priority Setting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to set overall direction for a group.
      Tell me about a time when others sought you out for your opinion on priorities.
      Tell me about a time when you came back from a course excited about what you learned and then had trouble implementing the change back in the workplace.
      Tell me about a time when you took a new job that required a much different set of skills.   Answer Question

Supply Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Navistar (Warrenville, IL).

Interview

Questions are asked by a panel and responses are requested in a STAR (Describe the Situation or task, Actions you took, Results from those actions and what you learned) format. Question topics included Negotiation, Communication, Organizational Agility, Customer Focus and Comfort around Higher Management. You may have a phone screen followed by an onsite interview with a panel of managers and peers. If they are interested in you, the next phase is to meet with several of their directors and that was one at a time for me. So meeting with the directors required several return trips to their facility. For me it was a total of four trips before an offer was given and negotiating started. From start to finish the process was more than 3 months until a final agreement was achieved.

Interview Questions

• What types of negotiating skills have you used? Describe a time when you used one of these techniques. From whom did you learn these skills?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase is very long and tedious. They like immediate responses from you but may take weeks or even a month to respond to you. I feel it expected of you to negotiate, however, and looked down upon if you don't.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

One on-site interview, called by the internal recruiter.
    Interview took 2 hours, no tour, just arrive, answer questions, and leave.
    Manager was became agitated when I asked about telecommuting.
    No follow-up, no rejection email, nothing.

FALD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

phone interview question was about 3 financial statements and one behavioral question. The 2nd round was much more intense. Wear a suit, no if ands or buts about that. Be prepared for 2 interviews. 2 vs 1 both times. One is behavioral and other is technical. They do technical first but don't think there is relief...like the hard part is over...bc the behavioral is just as hard. They give you case study and you get 30 mins to prepare all about cash. If you are going to prepare about this make sure you study factors of cash why it would increase and decrease and how it effects other accounts. The night before there is a mixer. You have the opportunity to talk to people in the program and the interviewers. The interviewers wont tell you its them but they seek you out so make sure you try to start a relationship with them. I know someone who did a very good job of this and got the job. Also, make sure for behavior you use STAR method. Always ask a question at the end of the interview.

Distribution Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Navistar (Joliet, IL).

Interview

Home office called me for an interview. No phone interview. Interviewed at Navistar, 4 person panel, star format, uptight situation. they were firing questions at me from every direction. They wanted specific examples of specific situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you have to get a team to buy in to your management style, how did you do it, what was the result. Every question was 4 - 5 parts.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL).

Interview

Long process - interviewed over 4 months. Interviewed with about 6 managers.

Interview Questions

• Typically behavior questions such as "Have you ever made a mistake? How did you handle it?" Needed to answer based on SAR (Situation-Action-Result) model.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was driven by the hiring manager. She was tough and shot low for salary. I did get the signon bonus I requested.

Inventory Planning Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Warrenville, IL) in August 2008.

Interview

Navistar uses Lominger Core Competencies when interviewing. Research these competencies and be prepared to indicate a specific situation or task that demonstrates that competency, how you handled the situation, and the result of your actions to remedy the situation/problem you're describing.

Interviews are conducted by multiple managers (as few as 3 and as many as 4 in my experience) and questions are asked round robin by the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• There isn't really a specific question that is difficult or unexpected (especially if you research the Lominger Core Competencies before the interview process) but if the core competency you're being asked about does not really pertain to your career history coming up with a specific example for that core competency can be difficult.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was called by HR with an offer and told an offer letter would be sent along with a drug screening kit and instructions for the drug screening/background check. Upon completion of the drug screening and background check I was called by my new manager to arrange a start date. Orientation lasted most of the first day of employment. I believe orientation sessions are only offered on certain days so if you don't start on one of those days you may not get orientation until your 2nd or 3rd day of employment.