Navistar Product Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 24, 2017

2.5

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lis, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Lis, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. They mainly asked about items on my resume. The asked a couple problem solving and behavioral questions, but no preparation was necessary for those questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Navistar

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall the process took about a month. A phone interview with the hiring manager to describe your interest in the position. A week later, another phone interview with the engineer manager. Then finally an onsite interview with two engineers.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time, that despite all the odds, you were able to overcome the challenge. What were the results? What did you learn?   Answer Question
    • Tell me the process you start and finish a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Contacted through one of their internal recruiters about the position. Quick phone interview with recruiter just to cover my experience and make sure I was qualified for the position at hand. Offered an in person interview and sat with the team lead, department lead, and department director at once. Interview went smooth, definitely caught me off guard with a couple questions, but they were just being thorough. Was offered the position but turned it down to a discrepancy between recruiters advertised salary (what i was looking for) and final offer salary (no increase from my current position). Overall a good and painless exercise and would consider the opportunity to interview for another position with them in the future.

Interview Questions

• Why I am considering the move from my current employer? Why was I choosing to make the move to Navistar?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL).

Interview

Very good. Very nice people. 3 Onsite interviews on the same day. The offer was not very good considering the living cost in Lisle and my experience. They do product development of the entire line of trucks and the testing facility is about 35 minutes away in Mel Rose park.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Navistar.

Interview

Standard STAR based interview. Very behavioral. No questions were particularly off the wall. They focus on responses to work situations and group work conflict resolution. Interview process was 4 total interviews. One was an on campus and the other three were in the two headquarters and with various employee positions.

Interview Questions

• Asked if any conflict resolution occurred in group work   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melrose Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Melrose Park, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

The whole experience was a waste of time. The plant is literally 1 MM square feet and I arbitrarily walked through mediocre laboratories which didn't have any happy employees. The interview was full of situational-based questions, but what it all comes down to is that they want you to be a nerd who has worked on engines their entire life.

Interview Questions

• You're in a lab, something goes wrong, and nobody is around, what do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

I connected with the company at an academic career fair and was offered a pre-screen interview the next day. After that, I was contacted about an on-site interview in Lisle and went a week or two later. The on-site included dinner the night before and a tour of the facility along with three interviews with different teams of two people. They took three weeks between interview and offer, which is way to long for a company of that size.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar.

Interview

I was asked the normal engineering interview questions. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why are you qualified for this position? Etc. After completion of the interview I was called by the hiring manager with an offer, and after accepting the job I had to consent a drug screen and background check. The company requires a hair sample for the drug screen instead of a urine sample.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

When you are filling out your application set your expected annual salary high, because they will offer you that amount or close to it.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Navistar.

Interview

Standard interview process; applied to a position based on a recommendation from a friend who worked there. Received a screening call from a recruiter where we talked about my resume and how I would fit into into the position. Got called into a interview with 3 managers; a chief engineer and 2 senior managers where the questions were all behavioral.

Interview Questions

• None; just simply talking about what I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Navistar (Lisle, IL).

Interview

The usual. Will get back to you whenever.

Interview Questions

• None the bar for all jobs are so low the only difficult thing is dealing with it. When you see positive attitudes on the job position for a professional career thats a red flag to the environment of the place. Also dealing with ambiguity translates to everything is such a mess inside you most likely won't be able get anything because of it. Ambiguity here is not what ambiguity is else where. Think of it like this. You want water. Seems very basic and simple go to the drinking fountain. Here you have to find a shovel, start digging holes looking for water, then install the pump to the well, run the plumbing, install the fountain, then get your water. Translate that to your daily work and you can understand how bad even the simpliest task are. This will be for every task, not just the usual onezeezzzz twozeeezzzz people mean when they say we have that at our workplace. Its everything, this translates to why the quality is so bad. Also failed forced joint outsourcing to India really makes things worse.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was straight forward. Take this or leave, you maybe able to get another $3k. Primarily because they won't have anyone else for the job. Also they try to outsource jobs left and right claiming can't find an american. Really you can't find an american industrial engineer looking for work?????