Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Some technical questions for securities practice. Would be helpful if you are familiar with excel and basic probability concepts.
    Mostly behavorial questions for antitrust. Experience in managing large datasets is definitely valuable.

Interview Questions

• Have you had experience working with large datasets? What dataset did you use? And specific, conceptual questions about the project.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

The recruiting day was a series of five interviews with researchers, analysts and consultants within the Antitrust group. Each interview lasts for roughly 25 minutes to half an hour and are more or less in back-to-back.

Interview Questions

• Describe your senior thesis question and write out your regression equation (if applicable).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

First I had a video interview with one guy, he seemed very laid back but asked some difficult technical questions about my research experience. A few days later I got an email telling me that I had been called in for an in-person interview in NYC. I got the email on a Friday and the interview was on a Tuesday. It all seemed extremely short notice but I made it work. The interview was a super-day, there were about 8 or 10 of us there to interview for the same position. The HR people we interacted with were super young and friendly, and two employees took us out to a nice lunch. Then we each had 5 rounds of interviews with different individuals. They asked mostly behavioral questions, questions about my interest in research, different projects I had done, etc. It was draining to see so many people back-to-back and talking about a lot of similar things, but overall not very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you handed in a project or final product that was not up to standard? How did you explain yourself to your boss/professor/group? What did you do next?   Answer Question
    • What role do you typically take on in group project settings? Leader/follower/slacker/etc, give examples.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your research experience. How would you have handled it if the data you found only had "xyz" instead of "abc", how would you manipulate it?   Answer Question
    • What has been the class in school that you've learned the most or been the most excited by?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through the school career services listing and was contacted a week or two later to have a first round video interview. I heard back a week or so after that that I had moved on to the second round, which was a super day at the office. I interviewed with five people from each practice for 30 min each (for two practices) and had a combination of case and behavioral interviews. They have you meet people from all levels of the practice and take you out to lunch with the other candidates. Questions included probability/econometrics questions, excel case, why econ consulting, why NERA, explain your thesis, why this practice area, data cleaning experience, research project experience, team conflict experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you gathered data for your thesis, the implications of your thesis research, what potential problems of your model are   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

Mostly behavioral and fit questions. Know your resume because they dig in very deeply on your quantitative experience and research projects. First round a video interview. Had to submit two recommendation letters and a writing sample before second round. I waited for 3 months until the second round really happened......The interviewer seemed to have a rough idea if I have desired skills by looking on my resume, cover letter and transcript. They wanted to see if I have good personality and oral skills to translate research into plain English. NERA recruits heavily at target schools(Ivy colleges). So be sure to have research experience and high GPA if you are a non-target school student.

Interview Questions

• Resume screening.
      Tell me about your research(why this model ? how do you interpret your results?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was referred by an employee. Emailed back and forth with the recruiter. Over the course of around 3 months had a video interview and then was invited into the office for an interview around a month later.

Interview Questions

• What is your ideal management style?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I handed a recruiter my resume at a college career fair and was invited back for an interview that afternoon. After filling out an online application, I was asked to return for two on-site "super recruiter days" where I was interviewed in rapid succession by a team of analysts, consultants, and senior consultants.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to look at a one-page report and clean and correct errors in formatting, spelling, and more fundamental issues with how the data was presented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

First round on campus, basic behavioral questions, nothing too hard. The interviewer was really rude but somehow I still got invited into a second round. You can wait for a bit too long till the second round really happens, like, literally two weeks...Interviewed with five people in NY office for on-site. I interviewed for Securities practice so there was a case study involved. It was not hard, however, do not try to solve it using the management consulting case mindset. The case was still essentially about regression (just like everything they do...) In general people were pretty nice, except two interviewers, one grilled me on my resume, another one is a PhD, who just drilled on random things I mentioned. Be prepared to answer some probability questions, and some econometrics questions (for example, what is the equation for standard error). After the interview, three researchers invited us for lunch.

Interview Questions

• "Why did you choose to trim out the bottom 1% and the top 99% of the data. Phrase in another way, what is the intuition behind it?"
      "How big is your dataset?"
      "How did you import your data into Stata?"
      "Which one do you prefer, Stata, R, or Python?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

2 virtual interviews and 1 SuperDay interview. Very straightforward. The office culture, to be frank, is boring.
    Recruiters were extremely irresponsible and not responsive. They sent out wrong emails and did not try to fix them. They never looked at your emails and almost never picked up the phone. After the second interview, I waited for over a month and was assigned to interview at an office I did not apply for. The weird thing was that they kept telling me the offices that I selected did not have a schedule for interviewing yet when I gave them a call and was fortunate enough that they picked up, but the truth was that office has already been interviewing when they told me there was no schedule. Another weird thing.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

First round video interview, second round office visit with five 30-minute interviews. The video interview was basic behavioral questions and a chance to ask questions about NERA. The second round consists of two behavioral interviews, two 'case' interviews and one spreadsheet exercise. The office visit was followed by lunch with two analysts and other candidates in a restaurant nearby.