Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nera Economic Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2017

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, one round phone interview with a Consultant. 30 min standard behavioral questions. Asked a lot about my quantitative backgrounds, including my economic research project. Went into details of my model.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

After the application, I was contacted promptly (within a week) to set up a phone interview since I was out of the area. For the most part it was a basic behavioral interview, the interviewer was friendly and put me at ease by asking friendly, conversational questions and slowly getting into my resume and work experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

5 1:1 interviews, 1 senior consultant, 2 consultant, 2 associates. People were nice in general, but they focus on minor points. They not only care about your past data experience, but also your overall personality and your writing abilities. Please be ready to answer any questions that may come up about qualitative, quantitative research experience. The overall experience was positive, no tricky questions, but I guess no offer for me.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why NERA? 2. What is your senior thesis, and explain in detail where you gathered data, how you analyzed your data and what is the outcome? 3. What are some relevant experience you had over qualitative research? 4. What would be a negative word that your friends would say about you? 5. What do you look for after you graduate? 6. What will you do in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

2 rounds at a targeted LAC. One on campus 1-1 30-min interview and heard back for an on-site interview in NYC in exactly one week. 5 1-1 interviews with 4 entry level people (2-5 years of experiences) and 1 SVP. Got an offer the on following day. All super nice and interesting people. You have to interview with 5 people so make sure that you have plenties of interesting stories to tell about yourself. Hard case question but you would receive guidance per request.

Interview Questions

• 1. Walk over your resume
      2. Past experience in data analytics and economics
      3. Favorite and most challenging courses
      4. Experience of dealing with tricky datasets
      5. Pros and cons of different statistical software packages
      6. Identify errors in excel, both formatting and conceptual ones
      7. Case interview, but much more on the side of acquiring data, handling messy datasets, and conceptualizing problems. Personally I felt the case harder than other Econ consulting firms' and other candidates felt the same way on that day.
      8. Teamwork experience and/or leadership/ extracurricular activities
      8. Lunch with 2 entry level people and other candidates. All super nice, approachable, down-to-earth type
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

2 rounds: on campus 1:1, and in office 5 1:1, followed by a lunch with 3 entry level employees and other candidates.
    On campus interview was purely behavioral, heard back after 2 weeks. I didn't have cases during the 2nd round, which was unexpected. Interviewed with 3 research associates/analysts and 2 SVP. Everyone is very nice and professional, though they have unique talking styles and tend to ask about different things. Some people talked more and asked less, some people talked less and asked more, and some people picked on everything you've mentioned. So make sure you've practiced your stories, be a good listener and ask good questions, and also be mindful of every detail that you might have brought up during conversations.

Interview Questions

• Leadership experiences/data experiences/summer internships/hobbies/courses... Everything predictable, which means, on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with entire team, met with all levels of employees. Research team plus the PhD's. Everyone was very nice. Interview started at 9 am and was over by a little after lunch. I only had to interview with one team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

On-campus first round. 30 min short interview with only behavioral questions and questions about resume. The interviewer was not nice at all. Basically no smile throughout the interview even though I tried to make them relax. Push you a lot in every question. When ask about career path, they say research associate stays three years and then just go.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

Once you get invited to interview in the office, you come into the office and meet with people for a full day. You meet the Senior Vice President whose group you'll be entering, along with several consultants and analysts. Some of the questions are technical in nature, but most are fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting (White Plains, NY).

Interview

Met with 4 people for 30 minutes and then went out to lunch with 2 research associates. No tough questions at all. They were really just interested in seeing if I was a fit and everybody was really nice. I thought it could have been a bit more organized...I kept on getting asked the same questions over and over again.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nera Economic Consulting.

Interview

There was a single phone-based screening interview that lasted about 30 minutes. The same day, I was invited for a fly-out. This was a series of 5-6 30 minute interviews with different individuals practicing across several different practice areas. At the end of the first fly-out, I was asked to come back for a second fly-out to meet with a handful of additional individuals who had not been able to participate in the first fly-out. All of the Interview questions were fit-based or going over basic details of my resume and research. I got one case interview.