Nest Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nest Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Nest

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and then talked to the recruiter, then I had two technical rounds of phone interviews with engineers. After that, invited onsite for 1/2 day for whiteboard code.

During the phone interview and the onsite, they had no plan about what to ask and were throwing out different interview ideas while talking to me. This shows a lack of respect for the candidates time.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack using an array in C (phone interview) using a shared online editor   Answer Question
  • Implement a trie data structure to hold words read from the input (phone interview)   1 Answer
  • Implement the game Space Invaders on the whiteboard.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nest

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest in April 2017.

Interview

HR reached out to me after I had applied online to set up a technical interview. Interview was scheduled for 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about the company and its products and what his job looked like . He then started with tell me about yourself? Then some questions with respect to my projects, some questions on C and experience followed by a coding round where I had to correct a part of code and also write a code from scratch. Both were based on pointers. I was pretty bad at pointers at that time, couldn't nail it! Got a rejection after 2 days, which was as I had expected.
    C questions: dangling pointer, why and where are void pointers used

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Started from Phone Screen, then in person technical interview (5 people) and second in person with hiring manager, PM and other group representatives (3). The interview was very well organized and interviewers were friendly and supportive. No "underwater traps".

Interview Questions

• - finite-state machine
      - memory allocation by given multiplicity factor
      - coding standards and limitations for embedded RT systems
      - OTA updates - risks and techniques
      - byte-stream parsing   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me asking for my availability for a phone interview. After providing these details - another recruiter contacted me containing information about the time of my interview and who it was with. The interview happened a bit later - it was largely a behavioral interview about my past experience with a few technical components relating to my past experience.

Interview Questions

• The engineer asked me to describe challenges and shortcomings of various projects and (engineering) activities on my resume.   Answer Question