Nest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Nest

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Scheduled a phone interview in a week. 45 mins interview. Interviewer described what the team does. Then asked one data strcuture design question. Interviewer was helpful. You must be very good at DS.

Interview Questions

• Gave a problem and asked to design a data structure for it. Then asked some follow up questions related to threading.   Answer Question

Web Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Got referred by a friend, passed phone screen. Phone screener asked very specific JavaScript / HTML5 / CSS questions, for domain specific stuff, mostly javascript.

When on site in Palo Alto, had 5 interviews. 1 with hiring manager, 4 with engineer, 1 lunch break. All questions were algorithm questions except for hiring manager which was system design question and 1 behavior question. "What kind of people do you not get along with?"

Interview was pretty stress-free and easy if you know fundamental CSS / JavaScript / HTML / HTTP / back-end and have a strong knowledge of algorithms / data structures.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest in February 2018.

Interview

I was ghosted, for no reason. Even after having an initial positive experience. Applied online, went through the process. Everyone was great and nice and I loved working through the coding problems with the techs. Then I was invited to come onsite and then ghosted after asking for the airport which I was flying out of. No response. No replies. I tried to get in contact and eventually just had to give up and move on.

Interview Questions

• There were 2 coding interviews before being asked to go on site.   1 Answer

Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nest (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

45 Minute skype interview. One to one. The interview did not have much small talks, we went straight to questions. During the process had to do 1 resume explanation, 3 Electrical Engineering questions and 1 CS questions. Did not expect so much focus on to EE.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the project you were most proud of in your resume.
      How does the I2C analog signal look like, and explain the I2C protocol in detail.
      Given a low power driven device, measure the power, where the voltage being applied is high.
      Write a code that, given a stream of data compress it as the value and its frequencies that occurs consecutively, for ex (1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,2) return (1,4) (2,2) (3,3) (2,1)   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

I sent a mail to the recruiter and it wasn't mentioned what position I'd be interviewing for. They said I could fit in to two positions and a technical person (one of the engineers there) would call.

I had no clue if it was a technical or a HR interview. Since there was no details exchanged about the job or the interview, I went in clueless and was in for a rude shock when programming questions were asked.

Market Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

First interview for 30 mins with recruiter was pretty basic and professional. Was told at the end of the call that I would meet with the hiring manager next and that was scheduled promptly. Next spoke on phone with hiring manager for 25 mins (she was late) but had a good call that was very situational regarding the role and the challenges they are looking to tackle. Was called in for a full panel of interviews (about 7 ppl). All great people and had very comfortable conversational discussions. I felt it went very well and was told the process would continue in a few days. I never heard back from them until I tracked the recruiter down weeks later via phone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were surprised by the data you were reviewing?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

- Poor communication
    - Disrespectful waste of time + resources
    - Existing team took and implemented intellectual property asked for as part of interview process
    - Keen interest in Ivy MBAs, regardless of digital experience
    - Obvious politics and cut throat culture

MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I contacted the hiring manager directly through the alumni network and after a screening interview on the phone, she invited me over for on-site interviews.
    I met with her and another person from the same department, and the HR closed the session.
    Although they promised to get back to me within a few days, I waited for ages until I first heard that it was positive, then a week later that I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• What are you expecting from this internship ? Why our department ?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by the recruiter who found my resume. We spoke for about 30 minutes. Then scheduled a call with hiring manager. Next thing I found out was that Nest is undergoing reshuffling and they could not move on with hiring for the position.
    Based on my conversation with the recruiter, they have a meeting-heavy culture and many people who came to Nest from Apple.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Though I was not offered the position, I absolutely loved my interview process at Nest. I have never felt more myself through an interview process than through my experience at Nest. The only critique I had to make was that – since the company was recently acquired by Google – there were a few steps that were taken out of order and it got a little confusing for me as the interviewer.
    My first interview was a group interview with 3 other EA’s at the company. My second interview was a 2 hour block where I met one on one with each of the 4 Engineering Managers the position would be supporting.
    Because Google had just acquired the company, I ended up doing the Google CGA after doing all the interviews with Nest, which should have been the other way around.
    The entire process took just a little over a month. At the end of it all, they offered the position to another candidate who had more professional experience. However, I ended the interview process on a good note. If they opened another Admin position, I would definitely consider applying again if they would allow me to.

Interview Questions

• Talk me through the steps that would need to be taken when planning the opening party for a new Google Campus in Bangalore, India.   Answer Question