Nest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nest Interview Questions

Interviews at Nest

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest in February 2018.

Interview

My phone interview went fine. I solved the proposed question on time, code was running as expected, it was an optimal approach, however I have never received any feedback from the company. They have completely ignored my two follow up emails, no answer at all. Very disrespectful!

Interview Questions

• Easy question to implement an existing language function from scratch   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

HR walked in, passed on to 7 individuals. The last one is the hiring manager. Each individual had 45 minutes. 2 individuals drilled the candidate on hands-on sort of thing.

Interview Questions

• Light circuit operation, diode clamper circuit, leakage current.   1 Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Submit an application/resume for an opening you find on linkedin. Hear nothing, not even an acknowledgment of receipt. Wait four months. Receive a phone call to attend an 'open house.' Attend open house. Interact politely with engineers and listen to the company spiel where they pass around a piece of CNC machined aluminum. Agree with the presenter that this 'technology' (we ARE talking about something that is done at a machine shop) is truly amazing. Politely follow up with a thank you email which will be rudely ignored.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked any technical questions. But, I learned enough about the company to want to steer clear of it. I was told that they intentionally did not seek out anyone with experience in the design, manufacture, or support of the product they were building: "We didn't want someone to tell us it couldn't be done." This is code for, "we don't want anyone your age who hasn't worked at Apple working here." As a potential employee, please look on the amazon website for reviews of this product and see how well this arrogance has paid off. A lot of the problems noted could have been avoided had they had the humility to engage with someone who had experience in this product space. I would wonder about the judgment of any engineer who wants to insulate himself from an opinion--one based on experience--that differs from his own.   2 Answers

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Interview was pretty standard for a Front End position. Initial call with the recruiter, then a phone screen where the interview asked a mixture of HTML/CSS and JS questions. I was invited on-site and interviewed with 5 different people. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and every interview was polite and helpful.

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

3 round interview with pairs of engineers solving problems.

Interview Questions

• Using the first sibling selector in the layout of a photo gallery using css-only.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was so excited that I jumped at their offer. I only received an additional 5000 shares by signing up without taking extra time. Overall, the offer was fair.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

A few personality and technical questions followed by a mention of Tony & Matt's no bozo policy.

Interview Questions

• What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Interview

Hiring interview was great experience, nice people who asked good technical questions and questions about work interactions, not Google style brain-teasers.

Interview Questions

• was told there is a "no a**holes" policy. So far seems to be true.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I had a phone screen and then met with 5-6 people onsite. I was impressed with the interview team and the interview process. I also liked the fact that we had lunch onsite in their cafe.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nest (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had one pre-screen with the recruiter. He was 12 minutes late, hardly apologetic. The interview lasted 30+ minutes and his questions were the most aggressive I've ever had in a pre-screen for an RC. You really have to BS your way through the call.

Interview Questions

• If a new hire told you on their first day that they were told the office was dog friendly, what would you say to them?   Answer Question

Embedded Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on the website and got an email from recruiter for a phone screen for 15 mins. Got a call from one of the engineers of the team. Interview lasted for longer than scheduled. More than an hour. First half an hour spoke about my experiences in detail. Followed by programming.

Interview Questions

• Questions on pointers, strings, arrays. Program to check if the string has a valid parentheses structure.   Answer Question