Nest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nest Interview Questions

Interviews at Nest

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and then talked to the recruiter, then I had two technical rounds of phone interviews with engineers. After that, invited onsite for 1/2 day for whiteboard code.

During the phone interview and the onsite, they had no plan about what to ask and were throwing out different interview ideas while talking to me. This shows a lack of respect for the candidates time.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack using an array in C (phone interview) using a shared online editor   Answer Question
    • Implement a trie data structure to hold words read from the input (phone interview)   1 Answer
    • Implement the game Space Invaders on the whiteboard.   1 Answer

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest in April 2017.

Interview

HR reached out to me after I had applied online to set up a technical interview. Interview was scheduled for 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about the company and its products and what his job looked like . He then started with tell me about yourself? Then some questions with respect to my projects, some questions on C and experience followed by a coding round where I had to correct a part of code and also write a code from scratch. Both were based on pointers. I was pretty bad at pointers at that time, couldn't nail it! Got a rejection after 2 days, which was as I had expected.
    C questions: dangling pointer, why and where are void pointers used

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Started from Phone Screen, then in person technical interview (5 people) and second in person with hiring manager, PM and other group representatives (3). The interview was very well organized and interviewers were friendly and supportive. No "underwater traps".

Interview Questions

• - finite-state machine
      - memory allocation by given multiplicity factor
      - coding standards and limitations for embedded RT systems
      - OTA updates - risks and techniques
      - byte-stream parsing   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nest in March 2015.

Interview

I talked with Nest at a career fair, and then got an email two weeks later from their recruiting department to set up a phone interview. I had two phone interviews, half an hour long each. The phone interviews included both behavioral and technical questions, and were generally pretty casual and comfortable.

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nest in December 2017.

Interview

Straightforward experience. My interviewer walked through my resume with me, asking questions about my projects along the way, which he tied into technical questions. He left room at the end for me to ask questions about the company.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nest (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Good and well prepared interviewers who asked reasonable questions. There were a series of questions that felt interactive and not canned. This process was well done.

Interview Questions

• What is one if the biggest keys to success as a project manger?   Answer Question

Global Supply Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Phone screen interview, then brought it for lunch with existing Ops team. Followed up about a week later and had the full interview cycle, 30 mins with 6-7 people from Ops, EPMs, GSMs, PD, and Marketing. Overall, the interview process was not very difficult, and I thought it was fair.

Interview Questions

• Explain exactly how you would negotiate a contract to entice a vendor to increase yields without affect quality and cost.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

My overall experience was positive. Here's a breakdown:

- Recruiting Call
    - Phone Interview
    - Design Challenge
    - On-Site Portfolio Presentation
    - On-Site Individual Interviews x 7 team members
    - Design Process Requests

Here's my impressions:

The Recruiter:
    My Nest recruiter was fantastic! She went above and beyond to ensure a positive experience. Great communication.

The Team:
    Really enjoyed meeting all of the members on the team. Most of them *appeared intelligent and talented.

The On-Site Interview:
    Challenging, but not overwhelming. The interviewers had some thoughtful comments and I appreciated their point of view.

The Bad:
    In the end, I did not get the job. I prepared an hour long presentation, a 5 hour design challenge, and additional design process requests. The amount of time and effort (only to get rejected) left a sour taste in my mouth.

Overall:
    The company *seems like a great place to work. My experience was positive.

Rant:
    They made a terrible mistake in not offering me a position. The first thing I would do is fix all of the problems in the Nest mobile app . . . which needs some love.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an elevator interface for a high-rise building with 1000 floors?   Answer Question

PR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Simple, experience related questions. They want to see how you work in a team oriented environment. They ask you to recall times were you worked on a project, how you dealt with conflict, and how you prioritized work.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were successful.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation, you take what they give you.

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

My experience was a pretty long one...

I got referred through a friend who knew a design / technical recruiter. After emailing my resume etc. my initial recruiter made contact straight away. I got put forward for a specific role, and had multiple phone interviews (1st screening, hiring manager, senior executive).

My initial recruiter then left Nest, and I was assigned another one. It was then suggested I go for an EPM role, to which I had more phone interviews (1st screening, hiring manager).

I got asked to come on-site for a full interview.... 5 hours was allocated and I spoke to 4 different people on the team back to back. It was a pretty intense experience - lots of questions!

I haven't received a final decision after on-site interview - I'm assuming it's a 'no'.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a team mate that is not performing?   Answer Question