Nest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Nest

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nest (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Good and well prepared interviewers who asked reasonable questions. There were a series of questions that felt interactive and not canned. This process was well done.

Interview Questions

• What is one if the biggest keys to success as a project manger?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

My overall experience was positive. Here's a breakdown:

- Recruiting Call
    - Phone Interview
    - Design Challenge
    - On-Site Portfolio Presentation
    - On-Site Individual Interviews x 7 team members
    - Design Process Requests

Here's my impressions:

The Recruiter:
    My Nest recruiter was fantastic! She went above and beyond to ensure a positive experience. Great communication.

The Team:
    Really enjoyed meeting all of the members on the team. Most of them *appeared intelligent and talented.

The On-Site Interview:
    Challenging, but not overwhelming. The interviewers had some thoughtful comments and I appreciated their point of view.

The Bad:
    In the end, I did not get the job. I prepared an hour long presentation, a 5 hour design challenge, and additional design process requests. The amount of time and effort (only to get rejected) left a sour taste in my mouth.

Overall:
    The company *seems like a great place to work. My experience was positive.

Rant:
    They made a terrible mistake in not offering me a position. The first thing I would do is fix all of the problems in the Nest mobile app . . . which needs some love.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an elevator interface for a high-rise building with 1000 floors?   Answer Question

PR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Simple, experience related questions. They want to see how you work in a team oriented environment. They ask you to recall times were you worked on a project, how you dealt with conflict, and how you prioritized work.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were successful.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation, you take what they give you.

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Phone interview for general questions, on-site interview with the hiring manager to evaluate if you are qualified for the role, and then have a panel interview with the team you will work with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

My experience was a pretty long one...

I got referred through a friend who knew a design / technical recruiter. After emailing my resume etc. my initial recruiter made contact straight away. I got put forward for a specific role, and had multiple phone interviews (1st screening, hiring manager, senior executive).

My initial recruiter then left Nest, and I was assigned another one. It was then suggested I go for an EPM role, to which I had more phone interviews (1st screening, hiring manager).

I got asked to come on-site for a full interview.... 5 hours was allocated and I spoke to 4 different people on the team back to back. It was a pretty intense experience - lots of questions!

I haven't received a final decision after on-site interview - I'm assuming it's a 'no'.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a team mate that is not performing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The initial contact and interview were generally positive. The phone screen was a good discussion and the process was relatively quick to set up the on-site interview.

However, I never heard anything at all after the interview, which leaves me with a negative impression of the recruiter, the process and company overall. I'm sure Nest has no shortage of candidates; at the same time, I have interviewed enough candidates at my current company to know that it's just a good practice to treat people with respect, even if the decision is ultimately that someone is not a fit. That same candidate may ultimately be a customer, and a negative impression of the company may impact someone's decision on whether to buy or recommend the company's products, or even whether to refer other qualified candidates for the role.

The recruiter also reacted very strangely to several of my questions during our initial conversation. All in all, not sure what it's like to work there, but I'd be concerned based on my experience of the interview.

With regard to the interview itself, I don't remember any questions that were particularly difficult. Several people asked questions indicating that the development process is really more waterfall than Agile.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important role of a program manager?   1 Answer

Not Sure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

They invited me to interview with the company, and I talked with several members of some of the teams there (I'm not sure if they were with the same team or not). To cut to the chase, it seemed as though they were interviewing me for a position that my skills didn't align with. They asked a bunch of coding questions even though I was more of a hardware engineer.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about yourself and how much you are a software engineer   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nest (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

spoke with two senior designers - showed my work and discussed or Nest is doing. Showed some sketches and documentation from work I did during college. Questions mostly revolved around my work and whether I knew how to do some level of coding.

Interview Questions

• Whether I have worked on any app/interface   1 Answer

Undisclosed Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Great experience overall, my recruiter was high touch and made kept me updated how things were going through the interview process and after I accepted kept in constant contact, even checking to make sure I was doing okay after having some difficult convos while giving notice.

Quality Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Very disappointing. No plan, no requirements, no coordination. I had one interview is the hiring Sr Director, things went well. Next I meet with three people, one who was the peer Dev Director, who was new, everything went well, but they never asked me any real questions related to the position. They asked me back for a third and final interview, which took three weeks for them to setup even with me offering to be available any time. They setup the final interview for two days later, then the next day they canceled saying they where going with an internal candidate. Why it took three months for them to figure out and why they left me hanging, dragging out something that normally takes a couple of weeks says a lot about they way they work, e.g., no clear requirements, poorly defined objectives, lack of communications, indecisive, use people and lack of caring.

I can honestly say this is the worst interview process I have ever been part of and it was a complete waste of time. It reflects a disconnection and lack of organization that runs so deep I can see why they are in the trouble they are currently having. No one there seems to care and they all seem like they are just passing the time avoiding taking any responsibility to address any of the problems reflected so clearly in every stage of the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince the SR Director who is hiring you to change the organization structure he just put in place a month ago?   Answer Question