Nest Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nest Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Nest

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Nest hires its employees separately from Google, which makes sense because Nest will become one of the Bets of Alphabet. You won't be going through the process with a Google recruiter, but a Nest recruiter. There are some implications there. For example Nest is much smaller and can't go to as many schools. Furthermore, you'll do your final round interviews on Nest campus rather than Google campus.

As for similarities, Nest has hiring committees just like its current parent. The overall interview process is pretty similar and any differences will probably be more attributable to the role than the company (such as hardware versus software).

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nest

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Nest's hiring process for Software Engineers seems pretty comparable to most other Silicon Valley companies. Despite being acquired by Google, they still have their own independent jobs board and hiring process. I went through the following steps:

Phone screen:
    - 1 coding

On-site interviews:
    - 3 coding
    - 1 system design
    - 2 behavioral (including hiring manager)

All the engineers I met seemed very smart and motivated. However, a common theme that emerged in my conversations was that many of them felt concerned that Nest was becoming more and more chaotic and inefficient (process-wise) with its recent huge growth in headcount.

After the on-site interviews, they took about a week to extend an offer. In the end, I declined as I had a more attractive opportunity with another major tech company, plus I felt a bit uneasy over what I heard about Nest's internal issues.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose due to NDA. But I can say that all the coding questions were pretty typical, just like the ones for most other Silicon Valley companies. The system design question was more focused on a Nest-specific scenario.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest in February 2015.

Interview

Two technical interviews were conducted (over phone). It was a very quick process The interviewers were friendly and helpful. They gave a good description of the nature of work that I would be doing, and gave satisfactory answers to my questions. They moved really fast after I told them about other offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Introduce a project on my resume. Basic questions about concepts of OO Design. Two easy algorithm problems. My suggestion would be when preparing for the interview, make sure you are clear about all basic concepts of OO Design and the features of the programming language you are using.

Interview Questions

• Comparison of basic data structures and when do you choose each of them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got call from HR about a software engineer position at Nest Lab. Based on the JD I am confident I got the right skill set for it. HR arranged a technical phone interviewwith one of Nest Software Engineer. The interview was scheduled for 1 hour, including a 45 min codepader online test.

The Engineer called me a few minutes later, he quickly introduced his company and asked me to introduce myself. I briefly explained my current position, and the previous company I worked for. It took no more than 5 minutes.

Surprisingly, the Nest Engineer concluded that this is the end of the interview. No any coding questions, no any technical question. I specifically asked him that the HR arranged online coding test via codepader and she sent the link, the Engineer said no, the interview is done.

The whole conversation took no more than 5 minutes.

This is really the most creepy interview phone call I ever had.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

submit resume online. almost a month later get email to arrange online interview.
    a manager ask some questions according to my resume and a simple coding question.
    a engineer ask me to debug code and solve problem.
    each interview is about 45 mins.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and the process was a few weeks. There were several rounds and the questions were difficult. Throughout the process I was unsure of how it was going, very hard to gauge.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest in March 2018.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter who asked me for multiple available times to talk to an engineer over the next week. Gave her the times, then she didn't respond until a week and a half later. Scheduled a call for the next day with an engineer in the Boulder office since I was off that day (it was my birthday, so figured why not?). Week later I emailed the recruiter to find out what the status was, but her email was disconnected. Contacted another Nest recruiter on LinkedIn, who forwarded my information off to another recruiter. Got this email back from him

"I'm a member of Nest's recruiting team and I work closely with our Apps teams. I received your information from my recruiting partner <redacted> who mentioned that you have been waiting to hear back regarding a recent phone interview from 3/15. I want to apologize for the long delay and promise you that I will have a decision by end of day tomorrow. We appreciate the time you spend speaking with us."

Although he promised to get back to me the next day, I didn't hear back so I emailed a couple days later. I finally emailed again a week after the initial email and still no response. Overall Nest's recruiters are some of least organized I've dealt with, and obviously they don't mean what they say or value the time of engineers that they're trying to bring on.

Update: Finally got emailed back after contacting again, and they mentioned they weren't moving forward via the interview. No actual feedback, so I'm not sure how true this is since I really don't trust their recruiters to be straight forward at this point. Probably dodged a bullet though.

Interview Questions

• Walk through making a dual linked list in Java, adding values to it, searching, etc. Talked a bit about his team and what they do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Interview

Beside calls with HR, the full interview process consisted of 1 phone coding interview of 45 mn and then 4 coding interviews of 45 mn each, plus a lunch in the middle at the cafeteria.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Scheduled a phone interview in a week. 45 mins interview. Interviewer described what the team does. Then asked one data strcuture design question. Interviewer was helpful. You must be very good at DS.

Interview Questions

• Gave a problem and asked to design a data structure for it. Then asked some follow up questions related to threading.   Answer Question