Nestlé Purina Engineering Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nestlé Purina Engineering Management Trainee Interview Questions

2.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

I applied online and the next day I received an email telling me to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly easy. They asked you to talk through your whole resume, so I suggest looking back and remembering key accomplishments and actions you made in all your jobs and internships. Then about a week and half later I got an email telling me I have been chosen for an onsite interview at one of their plants. They paid for my hotel and transportation, it was super easy to set up all my travel arrangements with them, they were super accommodating. The first day was very casual. There was a presentation where they talked about the history of Purina (which was really interesting!) and then they gave us an awesome tour of the whole plant. I suggest writing down some questions you may have so you can ask them during your interviews and even at dinner with other trainees. After the tour there a cocktail hour and dinner with other trainees. Take this time to ask questions and get a feel of the company culture. I personally liked it, the specific plant where I will be working, people seem very relaxed and open to help you out in anything. Super welcoming! The next day were interviews. I had 4, 1 hour long, interviews back to back. They were not super hard, but after the third one your brain might be a bit fried. Everyone was friendly and I got the sense that they just wanted to see how you are as a leader, as an effective team member and if you can work in a fast paced environment. After that they feed you and then you are done for the day. They were also very quick to tell you their final decision, they call you and also send you an email with the offer`s details. Overall, it was a great and super informative experience.

Interview Questions

Nestlé Purina Response

Nov 1, 2016 – Human Resources

First and foremost, congratulations! We are very excited to have you join us next year in our Management Development Program. It’s truly a unique opportunity to learn the business and progress to... More

Other Interview Reviews for Nestlé Purina

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university's career website and got a request to schedule a phone interview very quickly after. The phone interview was pleasant. First, they explain the position to you more clearly. You are then able to talk about your resume and then there are some questions that are behavior based. At the end, you can ask all the questions you want and get real feedback from the recruiter. Once all was said and done, I was told that my responses and resume were to be sent to managers at various facilities for them to review and that I should hear back within two to three weeks.

I really thought I did a good job on this interview and I am confident that my resume is loaded well for an entry level position like this, but apparently not well enough. Within the time frame explained by the recruiter, I got a "thanks but no thanks" email. It was really a bummer and to be honest seems a bit rigged, but at least they had the decency to tell you no unlike many other companies. It is kind of a shame that hard working people are allowed to slip through in the application process because of the latest and greatest behavioral based question binge.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you faced obstacles to your goal and how did you overcome them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a phone interview. The person I spoke to summarized the position and other important details. Then we went through my resume in-depth, in which I was asked to expand on all jobs/internships I had previously held. Then there were 2 behavioral questions. I asked a few questions at the end.

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a request the same day to schedule a phone screen in a week or so. The phone screen with HR was easy enough--go over your resume and answer two behavioral questions. HR is very detailed and transparent about the interview process, job description/opportunities, and salary (all trainees start with the same salary). I was told my profile would be sent to the factory and I'd hear back in three weeks. I was excited for this position and thought that my resume would appeal to the hiring managers, but unfortunately it did not.

Interview Questions

• When were you the first to identify a problem or issue?   Answer Question

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina.

Interview

Applied online, got an email to schedule a phone screen a few days later. Phone call lasted about 30 minutes, with a review of my resume, interests and future plans. There were a couple of behavioral questions and an opportunity to ask questions. The recruiter explained that every trainee gets the same salary (about $64k).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you faced adversity and overcame it.   Answer Question

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina.

Interview

Was contacted a week after my online application for a behavioral interview. Interview took about 30 minutes and was mostly going over my resume and two behavioral questions. Received an email a week later saying they were not interested in proceeding.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced adversity and how you overcame it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Crete, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina (Crete, NE) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied on the Nestle Purina website and got an email the next day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of going through my resume in detail and then answering 2 behavioral questions (with several follow-up questions). My interviewer was friendly and knowledgeable about the program. It was a standard phone screen, no surprises.

About 2 weeks later I got an email saying that I was invited to interview on-site at the factory in a few weeks. I was told the interview would be a 2 day event and I set up travel arrangements. I was also put in contact with someone currently in the program (ambassador) who answered questions about the program.

I flew out there early the morning of the first day and then had to drive to the factory. My rental car was a minivan. . . awesome. The first day I met the HR coordinator, the managers I would be interviewing with the next day, and the ambassadors. We were shown a presentation about Nestle, Nestle Purina, and the specific factory. The managers also spoke about the company and program to try to give us a good idea of the program. The plant manager even came in to speak with us during the presentation. Then we were taken on a tour of most of the factory floor. It is important to pay attention and think of (and later write down) any good questions you have about the company or the factory so that you have something good to talk about during the interviews. We all drove back to the hotel and had about an hour before going to a cocktail hour with the managers. This is an opportunity to show your personality.They will remember how you interacted with them and will determine if you are a good fit with the culture at the factory. After about an hour, the ambassadors came back to take us to a nice restaurant for dinner. We were encouraged to ask questions about their experiences. They were helpful and eager to talk about the program. Purina is really into "realistic job expectations" so along the interview process there are tons of opportunities to speak with people who are going through or have recently gone through your program.

The interviews were the next day. I was in the morning session so I had to be at the factory by 7:30 AM (I was like 2 minutes late, they didn't seem mad). Then there were 3, 1-hour interviews. I interviewed with the HR manager, Manager of Manufacturing Operations, and the Engineering Manager. All 3 of them were friendly and professional. They asked some tough questions, but it never felt like they were grilling me. I think they all asked 4 behavior questions. Each interviewer asked a variation of the same questions, but you are asked to give different examples for each. This can be difficult because you need to have so many different examples prepared. Be prepared to concisely describe lots of past experiences so that you can readily draw on those that answer the question you are asked. They will give you 15-20 minutes at the end to ask questions (depending on how long it took for you to answer the behavior questions). Use this time to have your questions answered but also to make a good final impression on the manager. Ask specific, informed decisions that show that you are interested in the position. We were then told that they would make a decision in the next few weeks.

About a month later I received a call offering me the position and was emailed the written offer letter. They also invited me to VIPurina Day in ST. Louis were they bring in the VP of Manufacturing and other senior leadership to convince you why you should accept the position. We were shown presentations, talked to former Trainees who had completed the program in the past 5 or so years, and toured some of the facility. We were also given the opportunity to speak with an executive during lunch. Many of the leadership I met had gone through the Trainee program which was interesting to hear. Everyone was very friendly and helpful throughout the entire day. Nestle Purina does a really good job of planning the interviews and this event. They picked former Trainees in the same disciplines that we were in. The one who was finishing the same program as me clearly knew who I was and was sent to answer questions but also to really sell me on the program (again, clearly planned). I accepted the next Monday.

All of my experiences with Nestle Purina were strongly positive. I enjoyed every interaction with Purina employees and didn't meet anyone that I disliked of felt like I couldn't work successfully with. In the end, I accepted because of the culture. I felt comfortable with everyone I met, all of the employees seem genuinely happy to work there, and I think this program best set me up for a successful career. During the interviews it is just as important that you are a good culture fit as that you have a strong academic background. Make sure you show your personality. Be friendly, excited about the job, and professional.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They tell you this during the phone interview. The salary was a little higher than they initially told me though.

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina.

Interview

For the behavioral interview, they asked me 2 questions about specific situations. 1. When have you had to describe something technical in simple terms? 2. For the last design project you were on, what research did you have to do in order to design it? They also went through my resume with me and asked me to describe everything on it with more detail.

Interview Questions

• For the last design project you were on, what research did you have to do in order to design it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina (Davenport, IA) in October 2011.

Interview

I got a phone call from a recruiter and was asked some basic profile questions. I got a call in about two weeks to come down to Davenport, IA for a one on one interview. The interview was 2 day and consisted on 4 group interview. The interview question were all behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.   Answer Question

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nestlé Purina in October 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by the company and asked to phone interview with them at my earliest convenience. The interview was shorter than i expected (25-30 minutes). The interview was with an HR representative. She asked me to walk her through my resume and then answer some behavioral based questions. There were about 4 questions in total and none of them were unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time that you tried to explain something complicated to someone that didn't understand   Answer Question