Netflix Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Netflix Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2011.

Interview

Netflix generally hires through a temp agency and you actually work for them for the first few months. After filling out a pretty general application (work history, short answer, etc), and doing a phone interview (role playing included) they will call you in for a group interview. They give you a tour of the facility, and have you take a skills test to ensure you know enough about tech support to meet there needs.

In the group interview they give an overview of the company and then engage in more role play. While it seems counter intuitive, you really should just ignore what company policy may be and make judgement calls. They'll teach you later what situations you can give out free goods, refunds, etc for. During this role play they really want to see how you deal with difficult customer situations, and whether you can tell the difference between the customer doing something wrong (mailing in personal property) and the company did something wrong (sending out an unreadable disc).

After the role play the recruiter announced that she would walk us out individually for a little alone time. She walked out half the people, and then told the rest of us that the previous statement was just a ploy to get rid of the people that didn't pass the group interview. She then asked us to remain longer and listen in on some live calls to get a better feel for the job.

The follow up job offer was pleasantly prompt.

Interview Questions

• A customer calls and angrily tells you that they ordered Barney (or similar toddler show) for their kid. The kid can work the DVD player, and knows the netflix envelope. When the movie arrived the kid grabs it and pops it in. Turns out it's a slasher movie. What do you do?

(Was framed as role play)
    1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much to negotiate for this position. Pay starts out the same for everyone, and they have so many applicants that they don't need to haggle. Additionally, the rate is pretty generous for the type of job it is.

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in May 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was conducted by an individual who was extremely "green". He stumbled during the call, seemed to be reading from a script and made a few errors while reading. He apologized several times during the call - very sweet person but clearly not experienced. He asked me to come in for an interview in which I would be meeting several staff members - assuming these would be supervisors and someone from HR.

The in-person interview was actually a group interview which included other candidates and several supervisors. It went fairly smoothly and I was mentally assessing the other candidates as I'm sure they were doing also.

The call center was busy yet seemed to be running smoothly. We were told of the benefits packages which seemed to be better than average. We were told that the company is flexible when it comes to handling customer issues, allowing you to be the judge but I sensed that that isn't actually the case.

Interview Questions

• A customer calls stating they're having problems with their connection. How do you trouble shoot for them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Beaverton, OR) in December 2010.

Interview

Well, the lady was super nice, but it sounded like she was sucking on a lollipop or something for most of the interview. It lasted 45 minutes, and the last 25 minutes consisted of odd role playing, and when I expressed that I had never done this before during an interview, she really did not sympathize at all and was very negative with her suggestions, saying things like " I would really study hard for tomorrow's interview" and "well, you sure screwed that one up..." It was kind of hardcore.

Interview Questions

• I have a problem with my queue, I keep getting the wrong movies in the mail.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in December 2010.

Interview

I initially contacted the company based on a craigslist job post advertising a CSR position with Netflix. The ad noted that they were hiring for daily schedules. I gave them a resume, and my LinkedIn. Several days later, I received a call from Manager A, basically just affirming my interest. She said that I seemed like a good fit. We scheduled an appointment to talk further, and then go on to set up a group interview. Her available time was minimal, but we found something mutually agreeable. When the day came, she never called. I had to call in several times, and eventually spoke with an assistant who said, "sorry, something came up, let's re-schedule." We did, and I waited. Eventually Manager B called me, said A was no longer with them, and we scheduled a new phone interview. When that finally rolled around, she said that she couldn't offer me a daytime schedule, and was sorry that the job was misrepresented. I thanked her for her time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Netflix?   1 Answer

Flakiness of hiring manager(s). Misrepresentation of offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in September 2010.

Interview

An acquaintance had a recruiter at Netflix give me a call. The initial phone call was to set up a phone interview which took place a few days later. During the phone interview I was asked about my experience with customer service, how I handled certain situations, and what I liked most about helping others. The recruiter sounded very knowledgeable about Netflix, providing me with info on the job and company itself, but when I asked how long she had been working there, she told me only about a month. The recruiter several times mentioned that the job "wasn't that bad." We did a little role playing before the recruiter asked me to stop by for an interactive interview.

At the interactive interview I met about 6 other applicants. We were led from the front lobby through the office building with rows of desks and computer monitors. The walk took about 30 seconds before we entered a conference room where we all sat down at assigned seats. The interviewer asked us what we thought of the place. From the mere glimpse provided, there wasn't much to say. The interview began with us learning how Netflix was #1 in customer satisfaction. We were led to believe this was because of the customer service reps and their ability to resolve issues with customers.

During the next phase of the interview we listened to prerecorded phone calls and asked how we would handle given situations without prior knowledge of company policy. All they were looking for here was to show empathy. Indicate that the situation was unfortunate, provide a way to make amends or offer alternative solutions. The same goes for the role playing during the phone interview.

After all that there was a computer literacy assessment. Terribly easy. It merely assesses your ability to navigate the Netflix website. When you finish with the computer test you are given a piece of paper which informs you that if you are still interested in the position to email them.

Interview Questions

• Can you please describe a negative experience you have had in dealing with a frustrated customer?   Answer Question

After speaking with the recruiter, meeting the interviewer, visiting the facility, and after reading the reviews on this website from past and current employees, I just wasn't impressed. The staff did not instill confidence in me at all. I also felt the interviewer was misleading. Netflix is #1 in Online Retail Satisfaction according to the variables of price, merchandise appeal, website functionality and content and has nothing to do with customer service reps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Portland, OR) in September 2010.

Interview

I responded to an ad for a CSR position on Craigslist and they emailed me asking them to call back, so I did. We scheduled a phone interview in which the interviewer asked basic questions about my experience and tried to get a fee for my personality. Then we did two rounds of scenario role playing which were pretty simple and straightforward. When we were finished she asked me to come in for a group "Interactive Interview" and gave me some possible times. They ask you to come in 15 minutes early, so I showed up about 20 minutes before the start time. There wasn't actually a reason to be early, maybe they have a problem with people being late or something. But, we (the group of us waiting to be interviewed) sat and chatted while we waited. It was all very casual and laid back. First they gave us a tour through the call center which is much more open and inviting than most others I've seen. Then we went into a back room where we were pitched scenarios (we gave individual answers in the group setting) and asked how we would respond. Then we listened to actual calls and were called on for similar answers. The final part of the interview consists of a computer test. It's very easy if you are familiar with the internet, Netflix and using multiple tabs or windows. The questions cover information found on the Netflix site, some basic movie trivia and other basic internet searching.

Interview Questions

• *recording of actual CSR call* "I've recently upgraded to 6 discs at a time and now my movies aren't coming on time even though I send them back. What's wrong with my account? Do I need to change my plan?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in September 2010.

Interview

The initial phone interview took about 30 minutes. The usual questions about your customer service experience, including a specific occasion in which you went above and beyond what was required of you to help a customer. Also some role playing, where the interviewer plays the role of a caller with a problem that you have to help her/him out with. At the end of the call, we set up a time for me to come in for a group interview.

The group interview was kind of ridiculous. You're going to hear a lot of bubbly talk about how great Netflix is, and how they do things different from their competitors, and blah, blah, blah. Just smile and let them keep talking. You will all be taken to a conference room and made to listen to a Power Point presentation, and then the main interviewer will call on people at random and ask about their impressions of the place and their experiences, if any, with Netflix in the past. Then you'll listen to some actual recorded customer service phone calls. At certain points, the interviewer will stop the tape and then pick a person at random to answer the caller's questions (in character as a CSR). You will get absolutely no feedback during this process, and if you try to bring a bit of levity to the situation the interviewer WILL NOT crack a smile. Just keep everything upbeat, force yourself to keep smiling, and avoid saying something like "I'm sorry, but we can't really help you" and you'll be OK. At the end of the interview, you'll be made to sit at a computer and, using a dummy Netflix login, answer a series of about 20 questions which you can look up the answers for on the site. It's timed, but you shouldn't have much difficulty getting to the end.

Overall, the group interview was an annoying slog to get through, but if you can fake enough enthusiasm, and have the basic conversational skills that most customer service jobs require, you'll do alright.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion in which you provided exceptional customer service in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in July 2010.

Interview

I applied via craigslist at around 10pm one day. I had a phone call the following morning that set up the phone interview the following morning. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a group interview the day after that. This was where I found it interesting. This "interactive" group interview was supposed to be comprised of role playing, which sounds silly and childish to many people, but I thrive on that due to my theater and video production background. However, this role playing consisted of listening to recorded calls, then everyone responding to a few phrases after it had stopped. They stressed to the group to NOT try and come up with a solution as we wouldn't know the policies on correct solutions until after training so really if you go to this training, listen to one of these calls and say, "I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I would be frustrated too. We value your business. Lets see what we can do." Bam, youve got the job. Oh, and there was a computer literacy test, that was supposed to test how well you can navigate around their website. But the machines that these quizzes were given on seem to have a RAM problem, and the programming was terrible as if you attempted to go back, it would freeze, or if you blinked at the computer wrong it would freeze.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. However, from the other reviews that I have read, mostly about shifts and time off, continually ask questions after the offer has been given and write down as much of what the person you are talking to is saying. I feel that they change their policies way too often and this is the closest thing i have to a contract as of yet. (verbal agreements are binding in the State of Ohio, I'm pretty sure that I learned in my media law class that verbal agreements are binding everywhere)

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2010.

Interview

I submitted my application online, the next day a recruiter called me and we set up a time for a phone interview. We had a great conversation and we set up a group interview time. The group interview was pretty fun basically just listened about the company and then listened to some calls and we participated in discussions about how the call went. We took a skills test and received an email about a follow-up

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really that hard, everything was really how you feel about a certain situation. Like what does good customer service mean to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Netflix (Hillsboro, OR) in April 2010.

Interview

I uploaded my resume and cover letter to the Netflix jobs site, and received a call the next day. After a short phone interview where I was asked about how I would handle a frustrated customer, I was asked to come in for a group interview. I was sent an email with directions to the call center and a background check worksheet to fill out.

About 15 people showed up for the group interview at the call center in Hillsboro. We given a short presentation about the job and the Netflix company values. Then we were shown a list of attributes of great customer service reps and each person was asked how they would define one (like "responsibility," "patience," and "flexibility").

We then listened to a real call, and again we were each asked how we would respond to the caller.

Then the interviewer asked if there were any questions, and after a few minutes of Q&A, we each took a test. We were given access to a dummy Netflix account to be used to answer the test questions. Example questions:
    What year did such-and-such movie come out?
    How many movies are in the queue?
    When was Netflix founded?

After completing the test, I was given an email address so I could send an interview follow-up letter, and hustled out the door.

Overall it was relatively painless.

After sending a follow-up email, I was informed by email that I did not receive the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a frustrated customer who sent back the wrong DVD and wants it back?   1 Answer