Netflix Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Netflix Director Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

Director of Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Four plus months of being strung along. I felt as though my time was not respected and ultimately, the majority of people I spoke with were cold and rude. They attribute the "serious" personalities to being focused and exhibiting the Netflix characteristics of success. However, I think it's possible to be friendly and successful.

Payments Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The Skype Call was real bad. I heard from the other point, the HR speaking for a long time to her own without making a conversation with pace and tone. Really the conversation turn out to be an examinaton of English. Never did she made the effort considering I am from Argentina to stop and speak clearly. I like very much the values in Netflix as Reed Hasking has exposed public, however if Netflix would like to find out employees with good attitude I mean it would be difficult for them. Skills can be learned but attitudes not. Its impressive how this great companies has so disaster HR departments at their confidential circle.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my current roles. I exposed them concisely and clearly. Also asked me how did I become interest for the ecommerce branch.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewer stalked me on linked in, then emailed and emailed for a phone interview. Was on the phone an hour and a half with me, assuring me I had a place at the company, and she'd be in touch right away. I never heard back, despite repeated follow up.

Interview Questions

• Very in depth q's she said I had excellent answers to.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was approached via an executive recruitment agency for the role. As part of the procedure around 8 interviews were held, including global CFO and CLO. these interviews were partly via web call, partly in person. During the interviews I had a very positive experience. Interviewers could detail out the role and the expectations, Netflix culture and values.

The 'aftercare' was unprofessional.

After the final interview there was silence, a long silence. After several emails and calls still silence. Finally I had to learn via the recruitment agency that the silence meant they would not move further with the position. Up to today still no feedback from the Netflix team about why they did not want to move on, the position is still open.

To my view you should always tell candidates about the decision positive or negative, either via a short email, or even better in a short phone call.

Interview Questions

• There were no unusual questions, nor in depth topic related questions. The role was a senior director function, and was more a relation building discussion.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Beverly Hills, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview. It seemed that the interviewer did not know much about the functions of the job and the skill set needed for the position.

Director of Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was initially contacted via Linked In about this position. The person who initially contacted me left the organization and I didn't hear back from my initial response for several weeks. An initial call was scheduled and conducted by someone not even in the same group. The recruiter was unable to answer my questions about the position. The interview process was outlined to me which included hearing back from the recruiter within a few days. It has been more than two weeks and I haven't heard anything - not even a 'no thank you' email/notification.

Director of Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was contacted via my LinkedIn account - the hiring manager and I had a common friend of mine. After I accepted the invitation to chat we had a long phone call. About two weeks later I went for a whole day of interviews and spoke with six people. On the following week had another two interviews with the higher management. At that point the hiring manager mentioned there was some reorg going and they'll have to hold the process for some time.

Overall the whole process was fair and everyone was friendly throughout all interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design thread syncrhonization function to access common resources.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in December 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by Netflix asking if I was interested in a position with the company. After emailing back, the recruiter sent me a description for the Director of Product Innovation in Los Gatos, California. She also sent me a very long slideshow about the company's work philosophy. I had one phone interview with the young recruiter who was fresh out of college, and it seemed to go well. She said she'd let me know in a week if they wanted to schedule a second interview. It was right before the winter holiday break, so I assumed it would take longer. Well, I followed up with her in early January and never heard anything back. I've interviewed at companies in person and over the phone for 12 years, and this was the first time ANY company ever failed to respond after the initial interview. I was really surprised at the level of disrespect shown by such a highly regarded company as Netflix.

Some advice for Netflix:
    1. Offer candidates another chance for a first impression besides a five minute phone call with a 20-year old who has no work or life experience.

2. Practice professional courtesy by confirming with a candidate whether they are entitled to a second interview - after saying you would. Don't contact them out of the blue then completely blow them off.

3. Shred every copy of your work philosophy slideshow. It's one of the creepiest documents I've ever read and frankly I was much less interested in working at Netflix after reading it. It tries so hard to show how un-corporate the culture is that it ends up coming off completely conceited and self-aggrandizing - like something out of Egger's novel, The Circle.

Interview Questions

• Overall, the recruiter's questions were fairly innocuous.   Answer Question

Director of Marketing Interview

Interview

Was approached by an HR Assistant that found my resume on LinkedIn. This was followed up a phone interview with a recruiter and then an in-person interview with the hiring manager. He was nice and professional but didn't seem to have clear questions or a vision of what he was looking for. Seemed more of a "i'll know it when I see it" type.

Director, HRIS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

Unsolicited recruiter contacted me and connected me for a 2nd call with HRBP. HRBP was knowledgeable about Netflix & passionate about being an employee of Netflix. She asked many questions about how I could execute in role w/o process, spent most time on culture of anti process, which started to get redundant. I asked questions about role she couldnt answer with certainy about scope, priorities. She kept coming back to 'anti process'. I think disconnect was that she was mostly interested in in culture, but as a candidate, my primary interest was understanding the role so I could decide how it was similar or different from what I was already doing (which I was happy with), culture was secondary (as a passive candidate). I advised I was not interested in pursuing further when requested to come in for face to face.

Interview Questions

• Asked me how I would be successful with out process, but couldnt provide related info on the job itself for consideration and response. Interview exchange felt very disconnected.   Answer Question