Netflix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Netflix Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.9

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Was reached out to over LinkedIn by a team member (they apparently don’t have recruiters and everyone is expected to hire their own teams…this seemed strange to me). He wanted to setup a call, but after explaining that I couldn’t take a call for another day or two, I was then told this individual was going to be away for several weeks on vacation. Why would you kick-off a job search that you are responsible for owning end-to-end if you are going to go on vacation in the next few days? Simply baffling.

I had a phone screen with another individual and this was actually a positive experience—more of a conversation than an interview. At the end of the call, I was told they wanted to fly me out for an in-person interview. That seemed fast, but hey, also efficient use of time I supposed.

After talking with a separate coordinator several days later and receiving an email request things like frequent flier number, flight time preference, passport number, etc., I was then called an told that another individual accepted an offer that they had already put out. They offered for me to interview for a similar role on a much different team, but it still felt like a bait-and-switch at worst or shady scheduling and poor travel planning at best.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in September 2016.

Interview

I had three phone rounds and all went well. The first conversation was on the bible (read as Netflix slides deck) with an HR exec and she seemed very little interested in listening to what I was saying. Just going over few things, in a way dragging on the conversation that lasted over 50 minutes. After that I spoke with the hiring manager/director. That was great. Very good interview and conversation. He asked some good tough questions that I answered and over all it went really well. I asked some great (in his words) questions as well. I like the team, manager, works as he described. All good so far. After that I was told there would be another phone interview with a team member. An ex Microsoft employee, then called me for another round of interview on CollabEdit. (2nd collabedit round). I actually did great. My solution was pretty good. We had a good conversation as well. Overall till this point all good and ok.

I got an email two days later saying my background is not what they are looking for at this point and I should be in touch for any other position that can comes up.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Their interview process is very unorganized. The coordinator was so slow in responding to emails. It took them 2 days to reply back to my email to schedule a call. Finally, when we did schedule a call, the interviewer was all over the place with no clear organized flow of questions. After the interview, they went quiet again for about a week. Finally, I reached out and got the "thanks, but no thanks" email back. The reason was that I wasn't experienced enough. However, I have been doing recruiting way longer than my interviewer herself!

I agree with one of the other reviews here that don't expect to land a role here unless you are one of the friends of the current HR team at Netflix or you have got that white look. It's a pure shame that a company with a great product has a culture such as this.

Interview Questions

• - How do you build a pipeline?
      - Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Overall it's very good, interviewers are very nice and knowledgeable. All three senior developers have different focus: one general about your background and depth of interested areas; one review the take home test; another mainly for a coding test. And hiring manager mainly asked some concepts/knowledge and some design issues. HR person focused on personality, culture, etc.

Have to say that the lunch was a little late at 2pm, and it's simple cold lunch which can be improved thinking about intensive interview day :)

Interview Questions

• Questions are not difficult, just be calm and think clearly.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Start off with informal phone conversations with hiring manager and recruiter. That was followed up with a technical phone screen with an engineering manager. Was invited onsite and met with people from HR and engineering managers/directors/VPs across the company. Feedback was quick after the onsite, was told an offer was coming in a couple of days and they explained the offer process. They followed through on the offer in a timely fashion.

Overall the best interview experience I've had in 20+ years in the industry.

CSR-1 Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Chill, 30 minute shadow, 20 minute interview, 10 minute tour. The first half of the interview was typical questions and the second half was questions like the following to see what you do I'm certain situations.

Interview Questions

• You work at AMC and a cx complains that the butter from the popcorn was to hot and ruined her dress. What do you do?   Answer Question

Data Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I got an initial contact from their internal recruiter. A few hours before our chat, I noticed she'd neglected to send me a job description, so I requested it. Several minutes past our interview time, I looked at email to see what's going on, and she sent an email almost at the time of the interview asking me if I wanted to reschedule to the following day. I wrote back with another preferred time and then never heard back despite my following up once again.

Worst HR experience ever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Summary: Netflix seems to be an awesome place to work at. Everyone I talked to seemed like a top performer and also seem to make every effort to keep their culture in line with what they have published publically. I am one of those guys who calls BS when he reads culture decks because in my experience once a company grows beyond certain point, every team defines its own culture but Netflix seemed like an exception and I wish every company could embress or at least imbibe what they have culturally.

Even though I don't anticipate an offer my recommendation is to focus more on questions that you generally expect from HR and managers. Those are the tough ones and as engineer I think many of us do poorly in this area. Things that we should definitely know but are hard to express. For example the questions like Why Netflix? What do you want from your ideal job? What is the best environment for you to be successful? I am sure in your head you know what it is but make an effort to verbalize it. They are trying to judge if you will fit with a unique culture that they have worked so hard to develop and preserve and your technical ability is important but still not as important(or at least as important) as their culture.

* A call with recruiter to align my interests with position
    * A call with director to I guess vet the basic culture fit
    * A call with manager , again for both basic culture fit and technical assessment
    * A technical phone screen.
    * Onsite:
         Recruiter: Culture fit and making sure I understand how they are different from most companies.

Dev manager: Explained what the team does in more details , described what is expected of the person who would join the team, the challenges and the road map that he has for the team. Overall he did everything in his power to give me as much information possible as he can to make the right decision if they extended an offer.

Sr. Engineer: Describe one of the challenging problems you have solved and discussed the design decisions I made. Pretty awesome guy and he was smart so it was very stimulating discussion, for a second I forgot I am interviewing. He asked a coding question which was something that lot of us have to use in real life not one of those trick questions.

Dev manager/engineer from a sister team: Again awesome guy. Asked a system design question. Again we had a discussion that you expect to have when designing a solution with your teammates. He brought up some good points and I change my design accordingly. The biggest mistake I made was mathematical (confused gb with mb iirc) but he did not really point that out and let me focus on the crux of the problem.

At this point I was given a lunch break and I was told in the beginning that I will have 3 more rounds depending on how the first 4 round goes. I am not sure what it means if you get to next round, it can either mean there was not enough evidence to reject you or it can mean there is enough evidence to keep going but we can all just guess. Anyhow, if you don't go beyond this point , please understand that you have been rejected. I was given the opportunity to move forward.

Director: This was the second hardest interview for me. She talked about projects where i had slipped the delivery dates and what i have done to rectify those situation. I think I failed to verbalize things correctly but overall she tried to extract as much info as she could to figure out my personality and working style.

Sr. Director: Talked about a challenging design problem and how netflix was a pretty awesome place to work at. Also enquired about the reason for leaving , how netflix will be different or not for those reasons. Again I believe this was culture fit assessment.

VP: This was my worst interview of the day. May be because I was tired, may be because the VP just somehow felt intimidating, I am not sure. He asked me to tell him what feedbacks my colleagues might give about me. It was more of a wake up call for me that I really did not have much to say in this regard until ofcourse the interview was over. He also discussed one of the projects on my resume and how I would have changed things.

Overall I was very happy with the interview process. I hate interviews where you don't endup learning anything and unless you get an offer it becomes one wasted day. This was different. Given my poor responses in the final 3 rounds I don't anticipate an offer but I hope others learn from my mistakes. The key is to think hard about these culture questions that you probably think you know the answers to but don't know how to communicate to others. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• What feedback would your peers give you if you ask them for some criticism?
      How do you handle brilliant jerks?   Answer Question

Communications and Social Media Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Netflix in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring process here is a ploy to assess salaries in the industry. I've spoken with several people in the industry and been told that Netflix publicizes positions they don't intend to fill. You can see the same positions constantly up on their careers page. I had two interviews with them and they send you a 100-page powerpoint on the company culture, which basically tells you they fire bottom line employees every year. I was told my the HR person that this isn't the place if you like job security. The interview is more of a personality test to gauge what you think of their horrible culture.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the Netflix culture? What do you value in teammates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Firstly, the interview process at Netflix will vary greatly by team because at Netflix, you are interviewing for a specific position (not to "just get into the company"), and each team manages their interviewing process. Fair or not, this means you could have two technical interviews or four. It also means that the total number of interviews may differ. That said, as pointed out in at least one other interview review your interview process will most likely be split up into two parts. Get a thumbs up from the first part, and you go to the second. If you get a thumbs down, please understand that your interviews are over and your process will not continue. If you live locally, they typically break this up into two separate days. If they fly you in from out of town, they will all be in one day.

If you are from out of town, I would stress making sure you pace yourself. Your last rounds of interviews will most likely be your hardest and will be with members of the management chain above your hiring manager.

There should be no surprises when you decide to interview for Netflix. Their slide deck is public and you are essentially encouraged at every turn to study it. If you don't agree with the slide deck and the Netflix philosophy, then don't apply or don't continue the process. No one is forcing you. Netflix IS the slide deck.

Should you chose to interview, you are acknowledging that you understand and support the Netflix culture and all that it entails. You would be wise to study the side deck and culture and know it and how it relates to you because the cultural questions you will be asked will relate directly to that.

As every team is different, the cultural questions will be different and will depend entirely on the candidate. I was told you couldn't really prepare for them as either you would either be viewed as a good fit and would do well in the Netflix culture or you would not. The only advice I can offer in this area is know yourself and know it well. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Know how they tie into the culture and be ready to discuss them. You will be given scenarios to which you will need to respond and knowing yourself, your strengths, and your weaknesses inside and out will allow you to respond fluidly. Above all, be yourself.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't just one difficult question. Just know that you will be asked scenario type questions and knowing your strengths and weaknesses and how they tie into the Netflix culture slides.   Answer Question