Netflix Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Netflix

3.3

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Netflix (San Jose, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with Netflix and my experience with the first interview was horrible. I would have walked away from interview if it was local company. The person who was Senior Software Engineer in Test was just terrible with a heavy accent. He was rude from the minute he talked to me. His first question was what is your test strategy? I asked him my test strategy is based on the feature or the product. Can you tell me little about the feature and then I will go over the test strategy. He said no first tell me the test strategy then I will go over feature. I told him no first you tell me the feature and then I will go over my test strategy. He said he wanted to hear about Positive and negative testing ( why he would think with 15 years experience I will not know about positive and negative testing?) His other question was explain me in detail what do we do ( his team)? His team was Streaming Media Content Delivery and when I told him that you guys work with Streaming Media Content Delivery, he said that is the name of the team. I told him that I don't know more than what was specified to me. Finally he explained the feature and asked me how would I test it. Anytime I started presenting a scenario for any input I mentioned he would say that is Operations ( even though he was wrong), I asked him well that is my question to you what would be the input to the use cases and I will tell you Positive and negative input. He said this is SCRUM and there are no specs. I told him even in SCRUM you need to clarify Acceptance Criteria. Another rude comment he made was " make sure to ask every question before you start so that when you in the middle you don't say I forgot to ask".

Overall this guy was just a plain jerk and I will never want to work with him at any cost.

The other 2 interviews were more about coding and moderately difficult however those guys were at least polite and manager was a nice guy. I told hiring manager about my feedback about first interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What is your test strategy ( and refusing to explain the feature or the product)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was straight forward. I had 3 phone screens, first one was more towards Java and I did not have much experience with Java so did not work out well but I think the interviewer understood that and so came the second interview, who was a engineering manager (hiring manager). Asked some basic questions about my back ground and then there was a higher level testing question. Given a API with minimal documentation and something which is in production for a year, how will you go about testing it.
    3rd phone screen was more about resume cross check, spot checking on some of the technologies that I mentioned in my resume.

Flew me down to los gatos (good accomodation), I was provided with the schedule of interview ahead of time, which i liked as it showed that there is thought given to interview process.

There were 7 interviews in 2 sections, if you pass the first technical section of 4 interviews then it moves on to next step of 3 interviews mostly with VP and director level people.

Technical interview
    Simple algorithm questions for coding.
    then some abstract high level testing question

More emphasis on, whether you will fit the culture which seems to be open in terms of upper management having direct communication with engineers about the directiion the company is taking and why.

It seemed like they are more Hire/Fire kind of culture but talking to the interviewers, it did not seem like there is pressure on them.

Interview Questions

• Testing approach for something which is in production for long time but did not have test infrastructure around it. Would you go top down, bottom up, how will you start thinking about the strategy.   Answer Question

The offer was good (you can negotiate a lot), but did not work out for me in terms of all the relocation in terms of cost that I would have to do.