Network Rail Graduate Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Graduate Engineer Interview Questions

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Could've been better and more organised.Enjoyed it.Group exercise was difficult though and there was a technical interview part too which you can't really prepare for but as long as you work through the problem and explain your reasoning and thought process, you'll be alright.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Network Rail

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The video interview has 5 prerecorded questions. You have like 70 seconds to prepare each question and then 1 minute and a hald to answer them. Not that hard. Usually they reply fast.

Interview Questions

• 1) Missed a deadline, what do you do? , 2) why this graduate scheme 3) communicatio problems within you work, how are you going to solve it?   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail in November 2016.

Interview

Online Application / Numerical, Verbal and Logic test through an android application. Then an online interview comprised of about 5 questions. You would be read the question, then given one minute to prepare your answer then two minutes to answer the question.
    Two of the questions also had follow-up questions and you would get 20 seconds to prepare and then one minute to answer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Network Rail?   2 Answers

Another job was available at the time, which I prefered

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Sheffield, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Application with Situation Judgement Test, few days later for the numerical reasoning test, then for the inductive reasoning test, then for the video interview (which is where I have just completed), AC

Interview Questions

• SJT: very easy, have a little practice online then you can pass it very easily

Numerical Test: practice at least 8 tests, 18 questions in 24 mins?, I THINK I got 13/18, and quite rush for the last 4 questions.

Inductive test: practice at least 8 tests to know the tricks about it eg rotations, same patterns, alternating etc, 24 questions in 25 mins. very rush for the last 8 questions, I THINK I got at least half.

Video interview: Why do you know about rail industry, what do you like our graduate scheme, a time to solve problems creatively (feeling before, during and after), a time to build a professional network (feeling before, during and after). what are your key strengths and skills and how you can use them to contribute Network Rail, why work for Network rail. 8 Questions in total. 1 min to prepare your answers. Will give you 1 or 2 mins to answer your questions.

Tips for Video: They ask you a general questions, but then give you quite a few sub questions which are relevant to the general questions. PRACTICE EVERY SINGER QUESTIONS, BE CONCISE AND WITHIN 2 MINS. MAKE SURE YOU ANSWER THE SUB QUESTIONS. AND VIDEO INTERVIEW IS WEIRD!

contact me if you want more info or discussion   11 Answers

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Lancaster, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Following an online application there was an online situational judgement test, followed by a numerical reasoning and then inductive reasoning tests. After these you are invited to do a video interview, you get 1 minute to prepare for each question and approximately 2 minutes to answer. I think I included all the questions but may have missed one. The how did you feel before, during and after sections were follow up questions where you get 1 minute to answer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the rail industry (include what you know about the rail industry)?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Network Rail? (include what you know about network rail)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you made a professional contact. (how did you feel before, during and after)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you solved a problem creatively (how did you feel before during and after)   Answer Question
    • Tell us why you think you would be a good candidate for this scheme   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)).

Interview

Process
    -Application and Situational judgement test
    -Aptitude test
    -Video interview
    -Assessment centre and interview

Positive-
    No long essay questions
    Stages logical and easy
    Equal opportunity employer- says and means it
    Straightforward process
    Feedback available
    Comforting nature of assessment centre

Negative-
    Process can take time due to the volume of applications.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations due to graduate scheme

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail in October 2015.

Interview

• Tell me what you know about material science? How is steel made? What does galvanize mean? How did you develop your communication skills?
    • Questions like 'why do you want to work for this company, what qualities do you have that would make you suitable for this role, A situation where you had to make a difficult decision, a situation where you had to work in a team etc.

Interview Questions

• • 1)Motivation for studying my current degree. 2)What degree subject have I studied which is the most relevant to this role? 3) Extra circular activities and key achievements. 4) What are my career aspirations?
      • 3 standard competency questions, lasting roughly 20 minutes assessment centre - presentation and formal technical questions interview
      • How has previous work experience helped your academic career?   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in January 2015.

Interview

The online application process involves of a pre-screening test consisting of situational judgement questions where the applicant has to prioritise the answers in the way he thinks he would be more or less likely to react. If the test is completed succesfully, online numerical and logical tests follow (the provider of these tests is SHL). The next step is a video interview where you are asked questions like "why did you choose to apply for network rail", "what do you know about the rail industry" and others asking about previous experiences where you had to demonstrate your leadership, communication and team-working abilities.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the rail industry   2 Answers

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

during the assessment day there was a challenge given to us, in which we had to come up with inventive ways of dealing with a certain problem, i.e. fly tipping on the tracks, we then had to make our best ideas into a presentation, which lasted for 5 mins. there was also a group exercise to do with how to allocate money appropriately.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Coventry, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

-Application Form Online
    -Online Test
    -Video Interview
    - Assessment Centre - We were invited to their training centre in coventry, we had dinner the night before and then on the day of assessments we were provided breakfast.
    The first exercise is the group exercise then we had to give presentations and then we had a personal interview which included technical questions.

Interview Questions

• When have you demonstrated team work   1 Answer
    • What will be the effects of having leafs on the train tracks   1 Answer