Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

Graduate Property Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online
    Had to complete a pre-recovered video interview (about 25mins long). After each question you were given 30seconds thinking time and then it started recording.
    Was then invited to the assessment centre

Interview Questions

• The assessment centre had three sections:
      Individual interview, with two network rail employees. They asked a number of work based scenarios (I was only mid way through my masters and didn't know as much as others who had work experience - I was later told this was the only reason I wasn't offered a job)
      3 Answers
    • Second was the individual presentation.
      Everyone was giving a booklet of information and 30 mins to prepare and then deliver a presentation. The delivery was 1 on 1 and they looked more at your presenting skills and how you set about the task rather than the finer presentation details.
      Answer Question
    • Lastly was the group task.
      We were put into groups and were tasked with working together to form a marketing strategy for a new network rail initiative.
      Each candidate had a corresponding member of staff who sat in the room with us and took notes.

Business Change Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

two people conducted the interview (Face to face interview) and the feedback was given with a week. The interview started with a presentation (already informed to prepared a presentation ahead of the interview), then followed by cv walkthrough and competency questions

Interview Questions

• They are competency questions. e.g Tell me a time where you had to deal with difficult stakeholder?   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Completed a 'Match-Me Quiz' (Optional)
    Immediate: Online Application and Situational Judgement Test
    After 1 week (approx): Psychometric Game (downloaded and 'played' on smart phone) based around verbal, non-verbal and numerical reasoning.
    After 1 month: Video Interview (More situational judgement scenarios)

Did not progress further - heard back approximately 1 month later

Interview Questions

• You have just finished working on a project and your next one is not set to start for a couple of weeks, what do you do in the mean time?   Answer Question
    • You are required to audit a colleague but they are being defensive, how to you approach the situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience at Network Rail to a friend? (Who network rail are, what they do, Strengths needed)   Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I applied online and done the numerical&verbal game based tests (they were actually fun!).
    I was invited to an online video interview. There were 5 questions with a practice question. They were all situational. There was 90s to read and think and 2-3 min to answer. I am awaiting response now.

Interview Questions

• High workload for two projects, one manager ask for earlier report, want to stay on good terms with both, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Talk about network rail to a friend (advantages, disadvantages, challenges)   1 Answer
    • Auditing another team, they are being defensive, what do you do.   Answer Question

Electrical Graduate Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in January 2017.

Interview

The first step is to do the online application to fill in your information. Then the situation judgement test will be invited to finish. The next step is to finish the test on the mobile application. It is about the numerical and logical analysing. Then they will invite you to do the online interview.

Interview Questions

• How will you introduce the Network rail company to your friend   Answer Question
    • How will you deal with the situation when you have two tasks but they have matched the same deadline.   Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

rigorous online assessments, video interview and an assessment centre. very few positions available and for some reason candidate degrees are not taken into consideration. for example they prefer non finance people for finance roles

Interview Questions

• why is safety our top priority   1 Answer

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Starts out with registering all your details and background etc.. a situational judgement test which was in the form of a game which assessed numerical skills and other skills, a video interview and lastly an assessment centre based in Milton Keynes which included an interview (you and 2 interviewers), presentation (you and one assessor) and group exercises with a few others applying to the same scheme.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are a good fit for Network Rail and why have you applied for the HR graduate scheme?   Answer Question

Finance Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

Pre Recorded Video Interview: 90 seconds to prepare and then a maximum of 3 minutes to speak. Questions were situational, not competency or strength based at all. Completely thrown off guard as I was expecting a competency based interview as per the company's listing of "what we look for" on their website.

Interview Questions

• Situations based on:

- Problems with uncooperating members of staff - how to deal with it and why
      - Changing deadlines at last minute
      - Imagine you are recommending the graduate scheme to a prospective applicant, what would you say are the necessary strengths/skills/motivations required

Electrical Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

I had to complete a Video interview using the talentsee portal. You have to record yourself for up to 5 minutes answering questions displayed on the screen. They are 5 questions in total. The first 4 more like a spoken situational / judgmental test rather than a classic interview and the final question is more of the kind you would expect.

Interview Questions

• The same kind of Questions you had in the online quizz before   Answer Question

General Management Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

I have applied online. Firstly I have filled in the application form by entering my personal details and academic qualifications. Then I have been given a situational judgement test which is very easy and is focused a lot on their company values. After a week I was invited to complete their online test which was in the form of a game on a mobile device. This was a bit weird at first, but it is very similar to normal online psychometric tests and is made to make you feel more relaxed and is really working.

Interview Questions

• Numerical, Verbal and Abstract reasoning questions   1 Answer