Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Nov 6, 2017

77 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The application process is quite straightforward where you have to fill in an application and do a situational judgement test which is quite easy followed by online tests which are not as hard as the SHL ones.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied end of July 2017 this was via an online application, followed by an online multiple choice questionnaire. It was the beginning of August that I got communication to say that I was successful and that I had been invited to an assessment centre end of August 2017. The date that they had given me was not changeable and had to be done on that date as there was no over alternative dates. 1 day after the assessment centre was told I was successful and was invited to a final round interview which consisted of a panel with the Customer Service Manager for the end of September 2017 again there was no alternative dates for the interview apart from the one stated.

A week later was told I was unsuccessful. However was confused as to why I didn't get the job as I have worked in customer service for many years. So I was fully competent with the questions they asked me. Also, the job had stated for 6 customer service assistants and when I went to the assessment centre only 5 people attended which included myself in that group of five. In which I was a bit baffled as to why I didn't get the job. I did call their HR department to ask for feedback. However, there was none left by the customer service manager. Just to say I was unsuccessful. I did ask if she could contact the hiring manager as to why I was unsuccessful in which she replied it's down to the manager's discretion.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the role?
      2 situational based questions based around scenarios at the station and what you would do.
      Name a time you had to deal with someone difficult?   Answer Question

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Competency based STAR technique and pre-prepared presentation based on a topic given at when offered an interview. Two interviewers. Very strict questions from a script which they have to adhere to.

Interview Questions

• What is Network Rails Safety Vision?   1 Answer

Principal Technical Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Application through internal vaccancy system. Interviewed at depot by ATME and section manager. Very friendly and encouraging! Unfortunately I think they already had someone in mind for the vacancy (the vacancy was only on the system for one day)

Interview Questions

• Standard HR questions, these are selected from a list of generic questions asked at all NR interviews.   Answer Question
    • Technical questions, standard NR/TRK/001 knowledge. 019 standard for planning.   Answer Question

Risk & Value Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard application form.
    After two weeks they schedule me for an interview. they interview took 1 hour. Competency Based Interview, Safety, and Technical Questions. 10 questions about soft skills and 10 questions. And also a 5 minutes presentation about any topic.
    There were two interviewers, a manager, and an analyst. They were very friendly and made me feel confortable.

Interview Questions

• Meaning and implementation of cost (QCRA) and schedule (QSRA) risk assessments.
      what is a Monte carlo simulations ?
      how do you build risk models?

the rest was normal technical questions and usual soft skills question.   1 Answer

Management Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)).

Interview

Interviewed by 2 employees, 1 the direct hiring manager and another manager from Glasgow office. Firstly they introduced themselves, spoke about the company and the position follow by questions to learn more about the candidate. It followed by competency questions on skills, management and communication. The tougher bit was technical and safety questions. Overall both the managers were extremely nice, friendly and even helpful when I was taking too long to think of answers.

Interview Questions

• In 2004 network rail was denationalised. What impact do you think it has on the management work that we do?   Answer Question
    • At Network Rail we take pride in the safety procedure that we have written. Have you heard of any and can you name them? Why do you think that safety is so important to Network Rail?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

General application form followed by a psychometric game which was an app that I downloaded on to my phone. This was followed by a video interview.

The app was good and an a more interesting way of testing than other companies. Video interview was all situational based questions.

Communication was pretty poor at every stage of the process. No updates via email were sent and I had to keep logging into their portal to see if there were any changes to my application. No updates at all were given for 3 months after I had completed the video interview until my final rejection. I think Network Rail need to improve on this aspect of their application process as it did not make me feel like my effort to apply was valued in any way.

Interview Questions

• You already have a deadline from your line manager but another more senior colleague has requested your assistance on a different project which will impact on your deadline. How do you proceed?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

application form then assessment centre. The assessment centre included a one to one interview than a group assessment. The interview was a competency based interview with some technical questions. Do plenty of research of why you want to work for network rail.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

2 - 1 'Competency Based' Interview: Two employees from the safety department interviewed me despite applying for a graduate role in the Performance department. The questions were not all competency based and included scenario type questions and safety questions (which wasn't specified on the interview invitation). The interview lasted 45 minutes.

Group Activity: Given 8 Minutes to read through a set of instructions and facts about a public awareness campaign. Then given 25 minutes to discuss a strategy in a group of 6. The group of 6 was far too many and meant it was difficult to make a significant contribution.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change your behaviour given feedback from a supervisor.   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in March 2017.

Interview

Smart Phone based aptitude test , Video interview (let you read the question for a minute then record a video reply for around 3 minutes) , 3 to 4 questions focusing of Situational judgement related to working with colleagues and heavy workload.

Prepare and do research, explain why you want to work for Network Rail and why in this industry.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are already working for Network Rail, explain to a friend why you recommend them to join Network Rail and what skills you need to be a successful candidate   Answer Question