Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.1

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

application form then assessment centre. The assessment centre included a one to one interview than a group assessment. The interview was a competency based interview with some technical questions. Do plenty of research of why you want to work for network rail.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

2 - 1 'Competency Based' Interview: Two employees from the safety department interviewed me despite applying for a graduate role in the Performance department. The questions were not all competency based and included scenario type questions and safety questions (which wasn't specified on the interview invitation). The interview lasted 45 minutes.

Group Activity: Given 8 Minutes to read through a set of instructions and facts about a public awareness campaign. Then given 25 minutes to discuss a strategy in a group of 6. The group of 6 was far too many and meant it was difficult to make a significant contribution.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change your behaviour given feedback from a supervisor.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Applied on line with a CV, face to face interview with line manager and his manager, job offer over the phone if successful. HR followed up with formal paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding the assets that would be responsible for and considerations that need to be made when deciding location etc   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

The assessment centre was in fact an interview and consisted of situational questions and an opportunity to meet current employees. First stage was online applications, then tests, followed by a video interview, and finally the assessment centre.`

Interview Questions

• Many situational questions regading the working environment   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Both competency questions and technical questions about rails and ways to improve the structure. The interviewers were quite professional and very kind. They had exercise sheets ready and discussed the situation with me to try and figure a potential solution to the asked question. I think they were mainly focused on the thinking process rather than the response given.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in March 2017.

Interview

Smart Phone based aptitude test , Video interview (let you read the question for a minute then record a video reply for around 3 minutes) , 3 to 4 questions focusing of Situational judgement related to working with colleagues and heavy workload.

Prepare and do research, explain why you want to work for Network Rail and why in this industry.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are already working for Network Rail, explain to a friend why you recommend them to join Network Rail and what skills you need to be a successful candidate   Answer Question

Project Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview was competency based. Scenario and technical questions. Panel of two asking questions in turn. It was a warm discussion but I had to wait for almost 30mins from scheduled time before I was showed into the interview room.

Assistant Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Face to face interview.

Very good experience, two assessors - first half of interview was questioning and second half was a technical task

Questions were general interview questions

Technical task was in two parts:
    1) assessing a bridge strike - what to do next etc.

2) assessing a report of an over bridge and describing the major defects and how to rectify them

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went against company protocol   Answer Question

Graduate Property Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online
    Had to complete a pre-recovered video interview (about 25mins long). After each question you were given 30seconds thinking time and then it started recording.
    Was then invited to the assessment centre

Interview Questions

• The assessment centre had three sections:
      Individual interview, with two network rail employees. They asked a number of work based scenarios (I was only mid way through my masters and didn't know as much as others who had work experience - I was later told this was the only reason I wasn't offered a job)
      3 Answers
    • Second was the individual presentation.
      Everyone was giving a booklet of information and 30 mins to prepare and then deliver a presentation. The delivery was 1 on 1 and they looked more at your presenting skills and how you set about the task rather than the finer presentation details.
      Answer Question
    • Lastly was the group task.
      We were put into groups and were tasked with working together to form a marketing strategy for a new network rail initiative.
      Each candidate had a corresponding member of staff who sat in the room with us and took notes.
      Answer Question

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very thorough. Some element of interviewer discression is used to suit candidates particulars and the needs of the role. Such as a need for high analytical skills will result in a focus on technical understanding of job specific tools.All-round a very balanced interview process. Having now done my own interviewing using the company templates, I continue to think it is very fair.