Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2018

154 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

After an initial application you will complete a series of online tests. If accepted, you will be invited to complete a video interview. The interview questions give you a scenario and ask you to explain how you would handle the situation and how yourself and others would feel about this. You are given prompts to help you form an answer. I am currently awaiting a reply and hopefully I make it to the next stage which is an Assessment Centre.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for network rail?   2 Answers
    • Colleagues are being defensive when you are auditing them, how you deal with this?   Answer Question

Graduate Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Relatively straight forward. An application form with CV, followed by a questionnaire. This then led to psychometric questions which were fairly easy. They were on an app game platform that made it less daunting. Passing that led to a video interview. If you pass this, then your application is reviewed in greater detail. Assuming you pass that, its assessment centre time!

Interview Questions

• A variety of situational questions that had multiple parts to them. How would you deal with this situation, why would you do that, how would it make others feel?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The application process is quite straightforward where you have to fill in an application and do a situational judgement test which is quite easy followed by online tests which are not as hard as the SHL ones.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

After the application was made the next stage was the Situational Judgement Test followed by an online assessment consisting of numeracy, abstract reasoning and verbal reasoning. The next stage is a video interview consisting of 5 questions, where you are placed in different scenarios. If successful, the next stage is an assessment center.

Interview Questions

• You are working on a current project which is taking up most of your time. A senior manager requests your help as this is an urgent matter. How would you handle the request?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied end of July 2017 this was via an online application, followed by an online multiple choice questionnaire. It was the beginning of August that I got communication to say that I was successful and that I had been invited to an assessment centre end of August 2017. The date that they had given me was not changeable and had to be done on that date as there was no over alternative dates. 1 day after the assessment centre was told I was successful and was invited to a final round interview which consisted of a panel with the Customer Service Manager for the end of September 2017 again there was no alternative dates for the interview apart from the one stated.

A week later was told I was unsuccessful. However was confused as to why I didn't get the job as I have worked in customer service for many years. So I was fully competent with the questions they asked me. Also, the job had stated for 6 customer service assistants and when I went to the assessment centre only 5 people attended which included myself in that group of five. In which I was a bit baffled as to why I didn't get the job. I did call their HR department to ask for feedback. However, there was none left by the customer service manager. Just to say I was unsuccessful. I did ask if she could contact the hiring manager as to why I was unsuccessful in which she replied it's down to the manager's discretion.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the role?
      2 situational based questions based around scenarios at the station and what you would do.
      Name a time you had to deal with someone difficult?   Answer Question

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Competency based STAR technique and pre-prepared presentation based on a topic given at when offered an interview. Two interviewers. Very strict questions from a script which they have to adhere to.

Interview Questions

• What is Network Rails Safety Vision?   1 Answer

Principal Technical Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Application through internal vaccancy system. Interviewed at depot by ATME and section manager. Very friendly and encouraging! Unfortunately I think they already had someone in mind for the vacancy (the vacancy was only on the system for one day)

Interview Questions

• Standard HR questions, these are selected from a list of generic questions asked at all NR interviews.   Answer Question
    • Technical questions, standard NR/TRK/001 knowledge. 019 standard for planning.   Answer Question

Section Supervisor Interview

Interview

This was an internal role I had applied for so my experience will be slightly different. I applied though an internal application process. I was selected for an interview once they read my profile. Then I was informed of my interview date.

Risk & Value Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard application form.
    After two weeks they schedule me for an interview. they interview took 1 hour. Competency Based Interview, Safety, and Technical Questions. 10 questions about soft skills and 10 questions. And also a 5 minutes presentation about any topic.
    There were two interviewers, a manager, and an analyst. They were very friendly and made me feel confortable.

Interview Questions

• Meaning and implementation of cost (QCRA) and schedule (QSRA) risk assessments.
      what is a Monte carlo simulations ?
      how do you build risk models?

the rest was normal technical questions and usual soft skills question.   1 Answer

Signaller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morpeth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Morpeth, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process was very relaxed with 2 gents, 1 being my potential new boss. I applied online and it took only 1 day to hear back from network rail before inviting me to sit some online tests.

Tests have be a little tricky but if you practice before hand and understand whats going on you can sail through them.

After passing the tests i had to wait along time before a opportunity arose, around 5 months infact. Went upto Morpeth depot for the interview which as i say was very relaxed and positive. Preparation for the interview is essential!

Interview Questions

• All questions relate to the 8 non technical core skills that network rail see important. research these skills, they're all available online and come up with some detailed scenarios for each skill to demonstrate you are capable. The interviewer will also have some further questions off the back of each answer you provide so be prepared to expand and whatever you're telling them.   1 Answer