Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2017

Finance Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

Pre Recorded Video Interview: 90 seconds to prepare and then a maximum of 3 minutes to speak. Questions were situational, not competency or strength based at all. Completely thrown off guard as I was expecting a competency based interview as per the company's listing of "what we look for" on their website.

Interview Questions

• Situations based on:

- Problems with uncooperating members of staff - how to deal with it and why
      - Changing deadlines at last minute
      - Imagine you are recommending the graduate scheme to a prospective applicant, what would you say are the necessary strengths/skills/motivations required   Answer Question

Management Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)).

Interview

Interviewed by 2 employees, 1 the direct hiring manager and another manager from Glasgow office. Firstly they introduced themselves, spoke about the company and the position follow by questions to learn more about the candidate. It followed by competency questions on skills, management and communication. The tougher bit was technical and safety questions. Overall both the managers were extremely nice, friendly and even helpful when I was taking too long to think of answers.

Interview Questions

• In 2004 network rail was denationalised. What impact do you think it has on the management work that we do?   Answer Question
    • At Network Rail we take pride in the safety procedure that we have written. Have you heard of any and can you name them? Why do you think that safety is so important to Network Rail?   Answer Question

Resourcing Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Very structured, but excellent, they deviated from the script for a competency interview where I'd already answered, but they allowed me to sell myself well with the competency questions as well. They have a long process with lots of questions to choose from. They also take copies of your ID etc while you're there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy and quick

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

2 - 1 'Competency Based' Interview: Two employees from the safety department interviewed me despite applying for a graduate role in the Performance department. The questions were not all competency based and included scenario type questions and safety questions (which wasn't specified on the interview invitation). The interview lasted 45 minutes.

Group Activity: Given 8 Minutes to read through a set of instructions and facts about a public awareness campaign. Then given 25 minutes to discuss a strategy in a group of 6. The group of 6 was far too many and meant it was difficult to make a significant contribution.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change your behaviour given feedback from a supervisor.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

application form then assessment centre. The assessment centre included a one to one interview than a group assessment. The interview was a competency based interview with some technical questions. Do plenty of research of why you want to work for network rail.

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

rigorous online assessments, video interview and an assessment centre. very few positions available and for some reason candidate degrees are not taken into consideration. for example they prefer non finance people for finance roles

Interview Questions

• why is safety our top priority   1 Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The application was in stages:
    Online application form
    Situational Judgement Test
    Online Test in the game format
    Video Interview - A couple of competency questions
    Assessment Center - Half day long held in Milton Keynes

To summaries the AC, it consisted of three parts: 2 to 1 interview, group exercise and presentation

The interview consist of a mixture of competency and technical questions, and the interviewers are both engineers.
    The group exercise involves 4 applicants with 4 silent assessors in the room, one of which is my interviewer.
    The presentation is only assessed by one person, who in my case is also an engineer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Network Rail and the graduate scheme?   8 Answers
    • Technical questions regarding to dual-tracking of an existing line   Answer Question
    • Group exercise: Develop a marketing campaign to promote digital railway   Answer Question
    • Presentation: One solution to improve passenger experience at a Network Rail managed station.   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Completed a 'Match-Me Quiz' (Optional)
    Immediate: Online Application and Situational Judgement Test
    After 1 week (approx): Psychometric Game (downloaded and 'played' on smart phone) based around verbal, non-verbal and numerical reasoning.
    After 1 month: Video Interview (More situational judgement scenarios)

Did not progress further - heard back approximately 1 month later

Interview Questions

• You have just finished working on a project and your next one is not set to start for a couple of weeks, what do you do in the mean time?   Answer Question
    • You are required to audit a colleague but they are being defensive, how to you approach the situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience at Network Rail to a friend? (Who network rail are, what they do, Strengths needed)   Answer Question

Electrical Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

I had to complete a Video interview using the talentsee portal. You have to record yourself for up to 5 minutes answering questions displayed on the screen. They are 5 questions in total. The first 4 more like a spoken situational / judgmental test rather than a classic interview and the final question is more of the kind you would expect.

Interview Questions

• The same kind of Questions you had in the online quizz before   Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, did psychometric tests and then had a video interview. Video interview was scenario questions about dealing with conflict and deadlines, gave plenty of time before answering to think about the questions. Asked why you felt how you did and how it would affect the situation.
    Whole process was quick and easy, online tests easy to complete on app.