Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.1

Finance Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

Pre Recorded Video Interview: 90 seconds to prepare and then a maximum of 3 minutes to speak. Questions were situational, not competency or strength based at all. Completely thrown off guard as I was expecting a competency based interview as per the company's listing of "what we look for" on their website.

Interview Questions

• Situations based on:

- Problems with uncooperating members of staff - how to deal with it and why
      - Changing deadlines at last minute
      - Imagine you are recommending the graduate scheme to a prospective applicant, what would you say are the necessary strengths/skills/motivations required
      Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

rigorous online assessments, video interview and an assessment centre. very few positions available and for some reason candidate degrees are not taken into consideration. for example they prefer non finance people for finance roles

Interview Questions

• why is safety our top priority   1 Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The application was in stages:
    Online application form
    Situational Judgement Test
    Online Test in the game format
    Video Interview - A couple of competency questions
    Assessment Center - Half day long held in Milton Keynes

To summaries the AC, it consisted of three parts: 2 to 1 interview, group exercise and presentation

The interview consist of a mixture of competency and technical questions, and the interviewers are both engineers.
    The group exercise involves 4 applicants with 4 silent assessors in the room, one of which is my interviewer.
    The presentation is only assessed by one person, who in my case is also an engineer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Network Rail and the graduate scheme?   8 Answers
    • Technical questions regarding to dual-tracking of an existing line   Answer Question
    • Group exercise: Develop a marketing campaign to promote digital railway   Answer Question
    • Presentation: One solution to improve passenger experience at a Network Rail managed station.   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Completed a 'Match-Me Quiz' (Optional)
    Immediate: Online Application and Situational Judgement Test
    After 1 week (approx): Psychometric Game (downloaded and 'played' on smart phone) based around verbal, non-verbal and numerical reasoning.
    After 1 month: Video Interview (More situational judgement scenarios)

Did not progress further - heard back approximately 1 month later

Interview Questions

• You have just finished working on a project and your next one is not set to start for a couple of weeks, what do you do in the mean time?   Answer Question
    • You are required to audit a colleague but they are being defensive, how to you approach the situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience at Network Rail to a friend? (Who network rail are, what they do, Strengths needed)   Answer Question

Electrical Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2016.

Interview

I had to complete a Video interview using the talentsee portal. You have to record yourself for up to 5 minutes answering questions displayed on the screen. They are 5 questions in total. The first 4 more like a spoken situational / judgmental test rather than a classic interview and the final question is more of the kind you would expect.

Interview Questions

• The same kind of Questions you had in the online quizz before   Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, did psychometric tests and then had a video interview. Video interview was scenario questions about dealing with conflict and deadlines, gave plenty of time before answering to think about the questions. Asked why you felt how you did and how it would affect the situation.
    Whole process was quick and easy, online tests easy to complete on app.

IT Business Placement Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail in November 2016.

Interview

Whole interview process was quick and straightforward. Applied and talent spotted on 7th November, completed a test on the same day, then another test on 21th November, finally informed for a video interview on 30th November. Haven't heard anything from it since the interview. As it was my first ever video interview to complete, it was nothing that I expected. Can't remember the questions exactly but it was not like any ordinary interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions were given based on scenario situation like the test you have done and explain what you would do etc. Around 80 seconds to read and prepare for ur answers until it starts recording so be prepared to take notes.   Answer Question

Engineering Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in November 2016.

Interview

Initial process was easy. SJT was easy and then the games test was pretty calm and easy. Then comes the video interview. You are given 5 questions. Its all situational judgement test. So practice on situational tests. You have 90 seconds to read the question and have to finish your answer within 2 minutes and 30 seconds. It was tough!!!!!

Interview Questions

• 1) You have successfully completed a difficult project that took a lot of hard work and long hours. Your line manager has no assigned you another project, but its not due to start for at least another week. (a) What would you do during the quieter period?why? (b) How will you stay motivated? (c) How will you ensure you continue to develop at Network Rail?

2) You are currently diving your time between work for a finance manager and work for your line manager. You have two deadlines at the end of next and are working hard to please both managers. One evening the finance manager approaches and asks whether you are still on track to complete her work by the end of this week. This is not the deadline as you understood it and you don't feel you can meet it. (a) How would you deal with this situation? why? (b) What else would you consider doing? (c) How will you ensure you meet at the expectations that are placed on you? (d) How will you successfully juggle multiple tasks?

3) You have recently started a placement in Finance and are working on a project to review and reducing spending on mobile phones across teams. You emailed a maintenance manager at a depot because his teams mobile phone bills are twice as much as they should be. He is very reluctant to speak to you about the problems because he doesn't think you understand and says he does not want to you interfere with the work of his team. (a) What would you do? why? (b) What factors did you consider? (c) how would you try to build a working relationship with him? (d) What is he still refuses to change his behaviour?

4) You first task in a new placement is to product the monthly performance report for you unit. There is a procedure to follow clear guidance on what information to include as well as which teams you need to consult to find out the information. After speaking to a few of the teams, they seem reluctant to help you, as it will take time for them to compile figures and they are not convinced that all of the information in this report is useful. (a) what would you do? why? (b) what difficulties are you likely to face? (c) what are the risks of going that? (d) what are you trying to achieve?

5) You friend is apply for network rail graduate scheme. What types of strengths skills and motivation is needed to be successful. what would you say to them? (a) What would you tell them about network rail? (b)why did you apply/what interested you about the scheme? (c) what strengths, skills motivations do you think they need? (d) what challenges do think you may face working on the graduate scheme?
      Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Online application / numerical tests. The initial online testing was relatively easy but the numerical test seemed to go over and above what one would expect to get when the role applied for would not have involved much numerical data and maths.

Interview Questions

• The numerical test did not give much time to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

An interview panel, followed by presentation and then again an interview panel. First interview with HR and Senior manager. Presentation with Senior managers and final interview with 3 managers. The interview process is very intense and all done on the same day. Offer is not made on the same day but a week later.

Interview Questions

• Presentation: Describe the structure of the Project Board and the roles of the people   1 Answer