Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2017

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Initially applied in December, the application form was pretty bog standard

In January I undertook a work preferences test, was tasked with picking one statement out of four that described me the best. This test was very different to most of the SHL tests I have done before, it was pretty easy but there weren't any obvious answers.

didn't hear anything until march when I was invited to an assessment centre with two days notice.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a solution to a problem network rail faces, how viable is it?   Answer Question

Interview

3 stage process,
    First stage, Online application- simple application but take your time and make sure all your answers are relevant and within the work count.

Second stage, Online competency Question, I process took around 20/25 minutes, each section having a strict time limit. Questions are based on numeracy, Reading and understanding and Analytical. Would be advised to get some practice of online competency before attempting the actual exam.

Final stage- Group/Face to Face interview. Mine was based in Manchester square one with 7 other potential applicants. The day is sub divided into;
    Presentation, 20/25 minutes about the company and the scheme.
    Administration, All your paper work and colour test.
    Group activity, it will be timed, Mine was in a group of five and to plan and built a bridge that could hold a paper train on for 30 seconds. Make sure you listen to every ones ideas and keep a track on the time, Show your leadership skills without drowning anyone else.
    Face to face interview with 2 senior Signalling engineers, about 4/5 competency questions and getting to know you questions. important to practice these before hand and be prepared to ask questions in the end.

Interview Questions

• Online competency questions and how fast the time runs out. Practice!   Answer Question

Not enough pay and better opportunity popped up somewhere else.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

After passing the first few stages of the hiring process, Network Rail sent me an e-mail for a video interview. So, I signed up to a portal, set my camera and watched the questions. After each question I had around 30 seconds to think and take notes. I had to talk for about 2-3 minutes for each question.

Interview Questions

• Tell an experience where you had to overcome some difficulties and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • Why rail industry?   1 Answer
    • Why Network Rail?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about an important meeting. Who was it with? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2009.

Interview

Know your background and read your CV. The decision is political and if you are kept waiting for weeks and months, wait!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Network Rail   1 Answer

Network Rail Apprentice/Signaling Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

the first process is the online application form. there is a facebook site that gives very good hints and tips, use them. i answered the 3 questions online and 2 weeks later i was asked to complete a situational Judgement test. the test are pretty easy once you practice.

after that stage i was asked to complete a basic numerical test, then a mechanical comprehension (just a test on mechanical principles based on pictures and diagrams). after this stage i went through to the diagrammatic online test (which was the hardest art of the stage in my opinion)

i was then invited to attend the assessment center. a very relaxed environment. i had to produce my exam certificates and ID. then i went on to do a one to one interview, where they asked me to give examples of different situations and show how competent i would be for my role. then a group exercise. there was 3 other people in my group, all applying for different roles in different areas. then i completed a paper test, they called it a technical understanding test. it was more of a verbal reasoning test. you are given a chapter to read and you answer the questions relating to the chapter. very easy

two weeks later i had a phone call saying i was accepted.

Interview Questions

• most difficult part was the online assessment period. i had to wait a week to see if i had made it through to the next stage. and the test were unexpectedly easy. i did not finish some and did not answer all of them correctly, but i still made it through. the last online test which is the diagrammatic test, was difficult to me as the shapes confused me somewhat, but i still managed to pass surprisingly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

a phone call telling me they would like to accept me on to their scheme. it was a conditional off, so as long as i meet the medical requirements.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Then there were a series of online tests. After completing them I went for an assessment centre.
    The assessment centre had a technical interview, a personal interview, a writing exercise and a group exercise. It took about 6 hours all in.
    They didn't offer to pay expenses for the interview which I thought was cheap. Some people came a long way and must have spent £100s to get there.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult really. The group exercise was challenging because some of the people seemed unlikely to get the job and weren't the easiest to work with.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Crap, they wouldn't budge on salary.

Assistant Commercial Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

The application process was very simple and easy to carry out. I made the online application and was notified a few weeks later of an interview opportunity. I was given plenty of notice and also plenty of flexibility to arrange the interview to suit my current commitments. The interview process was simple and consisted of answering a standard NR interview document that the interviewers ran through. These included basic question about myself, my current position and all experience. Then there were more specialist questions relating to the role in question and my suitability and perceptions of where i would fit in to the role etc. The interview was carried out on a fairly casual basis, this made the environment more relaxed and the interviewers also showed interest in me, my personal life and experience rather than just listening to "tick the box".

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for Network Rail?   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)).

Interview

Process
    -Application and Situational judgement test
    -Aptitude test
    -Video interview
    -Assessment centre and interview

Positive-
    No long essay questions
    Stages logical and easy
    Equal opportunity employer- says and means it
    Straightforward process
    Feedback available
    Comforting nature of assessment centre

Negative-
    Process can take time due to the volume of applications.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations due to graduate scheme

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Coventry, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Process was very straightforward. From online application, online assessment to video interview. The online tests incIuded numerical and inductive reasoning tests. I just finished and passed the video interview and I am currently waiting to attend their assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• Video interview question included: why network rail, why the rail industry, when have you solved a problem creatively and when have you made a professional network.   25 Answers

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Applications with aptitude tests which lead onto a video interview first, then onto the assessment centre.

Assessment Centre interview - Why network rail? Why rail industry? Where you see yourself in 5 years? Technical questions about interactions between tracks and wheels? What they would be made of? Basic mechanical questions, stopping distance and momentum. Questions about safety and where someone wasn't working in a safe manner? (STAR METHOD). Do you have any questions.

Group exercise - read about 8 pages of text and discuss what has been asked of you in a group

Presentation - read about 8 pages of text and present the improvements that you would recommend to the station. (keep track of time)

Very relaxed environment with friendly staff. Had graduates around on the day so you could ask them any questions you had. The assessor I had throughout the day was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Video interview - Why network rail? Why rail industry? Describe a time where you had to solve a problem? How did this make you feel? Describe a time where you made a professional network? How did this make you feel?   4 Answers