Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2017

3.1

Lead for Product Design and Food Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Market Harborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Network Rail (Market Harborough, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Informal interview/chat. Taught a Product Design lesson to a year 7 group. Interview with assistant Principal and Head of Faculty. Attended 2 (unpaid) days for handover of Product Design GCSE and A'Level and Food Tech GCSE.

Risk & Value Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard application form.
    After two weeks they schedule me for an interview. they interview took 1 hour. Competency Based Interview, Safety, and Technical Questions. 10 questions about soft skills and 10 questions. And also a 5 minutes presentation about any topic.
    There were two interviewers, a manager, and an analyst. They were very friendly and made me feel confortable.

Interview Questions

• Meaning and implementation of cost (QCRA) and schedule (QSRA) risk assessments.
      what is a Monte carlo simulations ?
      how do you build risk models?

the rest was normal technical questions and usual soft skills question.   1 Answer

Finance/Accounting Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Had a telephone interview; progressed on to the AC where I had to prepare a presentation beforehand followed by 1hour- 45min competency based interview. The presentation was fairly straightforward; had to come up with 3 ideas on how network rail can improve their customer's experience.

Interview Questions

Interview

Was made to feel at ease immediately and the structure of the interview was clearly explained. Prior to arriving at the interview information emailed to me was clear and detailed. I had to do -for a fairly junior position - a full competency interview with 8 questions plus a presentation which i had pre prepared.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you anticipated the needs of a customer   1 Answer

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Application form
    Situational judgement tests
    Phone app tests
    Video interview
    Assessment centre

Video interview quite hard as you cannot re-record answers and it all comes at once
    Assessment centre was friendly atmosphere made of group exercise, 2-1 interview and presentation of material they send you a week before the day

Works Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Formal process with two network rail staff, made me feel very relaxed. We followed a structured agenda in which there were two questions on each page and you had to answer one of them. They both took notes on your answers. They were interested in the type of person i was and what my interest were along with my working experience and qualifications. They provided ample information on the organisation and answered all questions I had. This also continued after the interview process via e-mail and phone.

Management Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England (UK)).

Interview

Interviewed by 2 employees, 1 the direct hiring manager and another manager from Glasgow office. Firstly they introduced themselves, spoke about the company and the position follow by questions to learn more about the candidate. It followed by competency questions on skills, management and communication. The tougher bit was technical and safety questions. Overall both the managers were extremely nice, friendly and even helpful when I was taking too long to think of answers.

Interview Questions

• In 2004 network rail was denationalised. What impact do you think it has on the management work that we do?   Answer Question
    • At Network Rail we take pride in the safety procedure that we have written. Have you heard of any and can you name them? Why do you think that safety is so important to Network Rail?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

General application form followed by a psychometric game which was an app that I downloaded on to my phone. This was followed by a video interview.

The app was good and an a more interesting way of testing than other companies. Video interview was all situational based questions.

Communication was pretty poor at every stage of the process. No updates via email were sent and I had to keep logging into their portal to see if there were any changes to my application. No updates at all were given for 3 months after I had completed the video interview until my final rejection. I think Network Rail need to improve on this aspect of their application process as it did not make me feel like my effort to apply was valued in any way.

Interview Questions

• You already have a deadline from your line manager but another more senior colleague has requested your assistance on a different project which will impact on your deadline. How do you proceed?   Answer Question

Graduate IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

There was an hour face-to-face interview, a presentation and a group exercise. The interview was competency based focused around the company values. There was two interviewers. The presentation is something we had to prepare before and was presented to one person. The presentation was informal. The group exercise was with three other candidates and four assessors were present (one per candidate). We had the opportunity to take to current graduate to gain a better understanding of the role.

Resourcing Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Very structured, but excellent, they deviated from the script for a competency interview where I'd already answered, but they allowed me to sell myself well with the competency questions as well. They have a long process with lots of questions to choose from. They also take copies of your ID etc while you're there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy and quick