Network Rail Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor

3.1

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Risk & Value Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard application form.
    After two weeks they schedule me for an interview. they interview took 1 hour. Competency Based Interview, Safety, and Technical Questions. 10 questions about soft skills and 10 questions. And also a 5 minutes presentation about any topic.
    There were two interviewers, a manager, and an analyst. They were very friendly and made me feel confortable.

Interview Questions

• Meaning and implementation of cost (QCRA) and schedule (QSRA) risk assessments.
      what is a Monte carlo simulations ?
      how do you build risk models?

the rest was normal technical questions and usual soft skills question.   1 Answer

Graduate Property Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online
    Had to complete a pre-recovered video interview (about 25mins long). After each question you were given 30seconds thinking time and then it started recording.
    Was then invited to the assessment centre

Interview Questions

• The assessment centre had three sections:
      Individual interview, with two network rail employees. They asked a number of work based scenarios (I was only mid way through my masters and didn't know as much as others who had work experience - I was later told this was the only reason I wasn't offered a job)   3 Answers
    • Second was the individual presentation.
      Everyone was giving a booklet of information and 30 mins to prepare and then deliver a presentation. The delivery was 1 on 1 and they looked more at your presenting skills and how you set about the task rather than the finer presentation details.   Answer Question
    • Lastly was the group task.
      We were put into groups and were tasked with working together to form a marketing strategy for a new network rail initiative.
      Each candidate had a corresponding member of staff who sat in the room with us and took notes.   Answer Question

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very thorough. Some element of interviewer discression is used to suit candidates particulars and the needs of the role. Such as a need for high analytical skills will result in a focus on technical understanding of job specific tools.All-round a very balanced interview process. Having now done my own interviewing using the company templates, I continue to think it is very fair.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I applied online and done the numerical&verbal game based tests (they were actually fun!).
    I was invited to an online video interview. There were 5 questions with a practice question. They were all situational. There was 90s to read and think and 2-3 min to answer. I am awaiting response now.

Interview Questions

• High workload for two projects, one manager ask for earlier report, want to stay on good terms with both, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Talk about network rail to a friend (advantages, disadvantages, challenges)   1 Answer
    • Auditing another team, they are being defensive, what do you do.   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Was "talent spotted" via the Debut app and invited to apply. Standard Graduate scheme process with application, situational judgment test, online testing using a game and a video interview. Waited about a month before hearing that I was invited to the assessment centre. The assessment centre was in three parts with an interview with two people, a pre-prepared presentation with questions and an information session. Everyone from Network Rail were lovely and the process was well run. I was offered a place for a 2017 start.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

- Easy initial application
    - Online assessment was fun and fairly easy. You an either do it on a computer or via a mobile app
    - Video interview was a bit intense, you have 30 seconds to read a paragraph and prepare your answer and then 90 seconds to answer.

Interview Questions

• 1). Your first task in a new placement is to produce the monthly performance report for your unit. There is a procedure to follow clear guidance on what information to include as well as which teams you need to consult to find out the information. After speaking to a few of the teams, they seem reluctant to help you, as it will take time for them to compile the figures and they are not convinced that all of the information in the report is useful.
      What would you do? Why?   Answer Question
    • 2). You have emailed a Maintenance Manager at a depot because his team's mobile phone bills are twice as much as they should be. He is very reluctant to speak to you about the problem because he doesn't think you understand and says he does not want you to interfere with the work of his team.
      What would you do? Why?
      What factors did you consider?   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

simple online application > answer few questions about yourself > invited to do a test on the phone which is like playing an app which separate into 3 parts: 1 maths 2 verbal reason 3 IQ test
    the maths one is fairly easy, it aims is to find pattern within sequence, but have to familiar with their answering system and the question is quite typical
    the verbal reason is ok, a paragraph will be provided for each 4/5 of questions, select the correct answer according to the paragraph
    the IQ test is easy, it is finding pattern and knowing the sequence which is the easiest out of the 3.

Graduate Electrical Engineer-video Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

It was a good process where they ask you some situational based questions like what would you do if this and that happens. You need to have good research and knowledge about the company. The time is short so keep a pen and paper nearby to work your answer out properly in a structured format.

Interview Questions

• 1. If you have two deadlines from two managers, line manager and finance manager and you have finished one task this week and you're exhausted. There is nothing until next week, how do you keep yourself motivated?
      2. Case study of a depot where they were doing twice expenses then the other depos. And the manager there don't want you to interfere. How would you cope this situation?
      3. Another case study where you would have to do a performance report of a team, but it is time consuming and the members of the team don't have time and don't want to cooperate. How would you cope with this situation?
      4. If you're friend ask you about the company! What would you tell him? About your role, company. Suggestions etc.   Answer Question

Resourcing Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Very structured, but excellent, they deviated from the script for a competency interview where I'd already answered, but they allowed me to sell myself well with the competency questions as well. They have a long process with lots of questions to choose from. They also take copies of your ID etc while you're there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy and quick

Resourcing Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

I was presented with a competency based interview, which I am familiar with seeing as I am an experience Talent Acquisition professional, but I found one of the competencies to be rather odd and the HRBP conducting the interview didn't really give much context when explaining what she meant by the particular competency.

Interview Questions

• There was a competency question related to healthy and safety in the workplace with respect to leadership skills and I could not wrap my mind around how this question actually related to the role and responsibilities. I shared this with several friends/family members of mine in various industries (legal, marketing, healthcare, pharma) and everyone seemed as perplexed.   Answer Question