Network Rail Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.1

Graduate Property Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online
    Had to complete a pre-recovered video interview (about 25mins long). After each question you were given 30seconds thinking time and then it started recording.
    Was then invited to the assessment centre

Interview Questions

• The assessment centre had three sections:
      Individual interview, with two network rail employees. They asked a number of work based scenarios (I was only mid way through my masters and didn't know as much as others who had work experience - I was later told this was the only reason I wasn't offered a job)
      3 Answers
    • Second was the individual presentation.
      Everyone was giving a booklet of information and 30 mins to prepare and then deliver a presentation. The delivery was 1 on 1 and they looked more at your presenting skills and how you set about the task rather than the finer presentation details.
      Answer Question
    • Lastly was the group task.
      We were put into groups and were tasked with working together to form a marketing strategy for a new network rail initiative.
      Each candidate had a corresponding member of staff who sat in the room with us and took notes.

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very thorough. Some element of interviewer discression is used to suit candidates particulars and the needs of the role. Such as a need for high analytical skills will result in a focus on technical understanding of job specific tools.All-round a very balanced interview process. Having now done my own interviewing using the company templates, I continue to think it is very fair.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I applied online and done the numerical&verbal game based tests (they were actually fun!).
    I was invited to an online video interview. There were 5 questions with a practice question. They were all situational. There was 90s to read and think and 2-3 min to answer. I am awaiting response now.

Interview Questions

• High workload for two projects, one manager ask for earlier report, want to stay on good terms with both, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Talk about network rail to a friend (advantages, disadvantages, challenges)   1 Answer
    • Auditing another team, they are being defensive, what do you do.   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

simple online application > answer few questions about yourself > invited to do a test on the phone which is like playing an app which separate into 3 parts: 1 maths 2 verbal reason 3 IQ test
    the maths one is fairly easy, it aims is to find pattern within sequence, but have to familiar with their answering system and the question is quite typical
    the verbal reason is ok, a paragraph will be provided for each 4/5 of questions, select the correct answer according to the paragraph
    the IQ test is easy, it is finding pattern and knowing the sequence which is the easiest out of the 3.

Graduate Electrical Engineer-video Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

It was a good process where they ask you some situational based questions like what would you do if this and that happens. You need to have good research and knowledge about the company. The time is short so keep a pen and paper nearby to work your answer out properly in a structured format.

Interview Questions

• 1. If you have two deadlines from two managers, line manager and finance manager and you have finished one task this week and you're exhausted. There is nothing until next week, how do you keep yourself motivated?
      2. Case study of a depot where they were doing twice expenses then the other depos. And the manager there don't want you to interfere. How would you cope this situation?
      3. Another case study where you would have to do a performance report of a team, but it is time consuming and the members of the team don't have time and don't want to cooperate. How would you cope with this situation?
      4. If you're friend ask you about the company! What would you tell him? About your role, company. Suggestions etc.

Resourcing Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

I was presented with a competency based interview, which I am familiar with seeing as I am an experience Talent Acquisition professional, but I found one of the competencies to be rather odd and the HRBP conducting the interview didn't really give much context when explaining what she meant by the particular competency.

Interview Questions

• There was a competency question related to healthy and safety in the workplace with respect to leadership skills and I could not wrap my mind around how this question actually related to the role and responsibilities. I shared this with several friends/family members of mine in various industries (legal, marketing, healthcare, pharma) and everyone seemed as perplexed.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got called up for an interview in London office.

They didn't offer to reimburse expenses for the interview which was not ideal.

A series of competency based questions were asked and a few fairly easy technical questions with references from the CV.

The interviewers were rather distant and they tried to portray a professional/corporate atmosphere, taking notes throughout.

As a person inexperienced at interviews, I didnt portray myself as a strong cadidate despite the fact I believe I matched really well the skills required for the role. My lack of interview experience was prominent during competency based questions.

Having said that, I regret to say that one of the interviewers was impatient with some of my answers or my lack of exposure to interviews and openly showed that he wasnt happy with what he was hearing. On top of that, at one occasion, he started asking a question while I was still answering a previous one. His behaviour created a very uncomfortable atmosphere, let alone the fact that it was very unprofessional and simply rude.

Electrical and Electronic Engineering Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Pretty straightforward: the first step consists of the online application and a personality questionnaire.
    Following, you go through a numerical online test (18 questions in 25 mins), if successful you get an inductive reasoning online test (24 questions in 25 mins). These two tests are not very difficult, but you will need to practice beforehand because you'll need to be quick. Do not expect to get all the answers right though, it is not required.
    If successful the next stage would be the video interview. 5 questions, for each you have 1 min to collect your thoughts and 2 mins to register your reply. The last two have a follow up about your feelings. You got only one chance, so prepare beforehand.
    Next would be the assessment centre, but I'm still waiting to know the outcome of my video interview, so cannot comment on it.

Interview Questions

• 1- why work in the rail industry?
      2- why work at network rail?
      3- what skills makes you suitable?
      4- tell about a professional relationships you built? How did you feel?
      5- tell about a time when you had to think creatively? How did you fee?l
      2 Answers

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

After completing the numerical and inductive reasoning tests, I was invited to a video interview.
    It lasted about 20 minutes in total, and there was a pre recorded question which was read out, then typed on screen. The question stayed on the screen through out it being asked and you answering.

After the question was read out you'd have some time to think about your answer (30 seconds - 1 minute) and the recording began. Once you're done, you can submit your recorded answer before time runs out (total time 1/2 minutes depending on the question)

Still awaiting an outcome as I just did the interview but fingers crossed!

Interview Questions

• Why network rail?   Answer Question
    • Why the rail industry?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you faced adversity and how you felt before, during and after?   8 Answers
    • Tell us about a time you had to make a professional connection and how you felt before, during and after this?   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Completed the online application form, which was followed by a series of online tests. After this I was then invited to a video interview. It consisted of a series questions, with a mixture of competency based ones and a few asked about your motivations for joining the organisation. Interview lasted around 20 mins in total.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the company and why would you be a good fit?   Answer Question