Network Rail Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Network Rail Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Mar 16, 2017

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Both competency questions and technical questions about rails and ways to improve the structure. The interviewers were quite professional and very kind. They had exercise sheets ready and discussed the situation with me to try and figure a potential solution to the asked question. I think they were mainly focused on the thinking process rather than the response given.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in March 2017.

Interview

Smart Phone based aptitude test , Video interview (let you read the question for a minute then record a video reply for around 3 minutes) , 3 to 4 questions focusing of Situational judgement related to working with colleagues and heavy workload.

Prepare and do research, explain why you want to work for Network Rail and why in this industry.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are already working for Network Rail, explain to a friend why you recommend them to join Network Rail and what skills you need to be a successful candidate   Answer Question

Assistant Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Face to face interview.

Very good experience, two assessors - first half of interview was questioning and second half was a technical task

Questions were general interview questions

Technical task was in two parts:
    1) assessing a bridge strike - what to do next etc.

2) assessing a report of an over bridge and describing the major defects and how to rectify them

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went against company protocol   Answer Question

Graduate Property Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online
    Had to complete a pre-recovered video interview (about 25mins long). After each question you were given 30seconds thinking time and then it started recording.
    Was then invited to the assessment centre

Interview Questions

• The assessment centre had three sections:
      Individual interview, with two network rail employees. They asked a number of work based scenarios (I was only mid way through my masters and didn't know as much as others who had work experience - I was later told this was the only reason I wasn't offered a job)
      3 Answers
    • Second was the individual presentation.
      Everyone was giving a booklet of information and 30 mins to prepare and then deliver a presentation. The delivery was 1 on 1 and they looked more at your presenting skills and how you set about the task rather than the finer presentation details.
      Answer Question
    • Lastly was the group task.
      We were put into groups and were tasked with working together to form a marketing strategy for a new network rail initiative.
      Each candidate had a corresponding member of staff who sat in the room with us and took notes.
      Answer Question

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very thorough. Some element of interviewer discression is used to suit candidates particulars and the needs of the role. Such as a need for high analytical skills will result in a focus on technical understanding of job specific tools.All-round a very balanced interview process. Having now done my own interviewing using the company templates, I continue to think it is very fair.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The application was in stages:
    Online application form
    Situational Judgement Test
    Online Test in the game format
    Video Interview - A couple of competency questions
    Assessment Center - Half day long held in Milton Keynes

To summaries the AC, it consisted of three parts: 2 to 1 interview, group exercise and presentation

The interview consist of a mixture of competency and technical questions, and the interviewers are both engineers.
    The group exercise involves 4 applicants with 4 silent assessors in the room, one of which is my interviewer.
    The presentation is only assessed by one person, who in my case is also an engineer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Network Rail and the graduate scheme?   8 Answers
    • Technical questions regarding to dual-tracking of an existing line   Answer Question
    • Group exercise: Develop a marketing campaign to promote digital railway   Answer Question
    • Presentation: One solution to improve passenger experience at a Network Rail managed station.   Answer Question

Business Change Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

two people conducted the interview (Face to face interview) and the feedback was given with a week. The interview started with a presentation (already informed to prepared a presentation ahead of the interview), then followed by cv walkthrough and competency questions

Interview Questions

• They are competency questions. e.g Tell me a time where you had to deal with difficult stakeholder?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Really great comms throughout, but seems to be a disconnect between HR and hiring manager, receved automated email saying I was unsuccesful at CV sift and an email from hiring Manager offering an interview on same day.
    Bit of a shame I had to travel at my own expense to London (65 miles) for a medical and that there is nowhere else in south of UK.

Interview questions were all competency based. The STAR document that was emailed to me helped me "shape" the answers towards answering them about myself, so its worth having a good read through prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

• how would you deal with conflicting priorities from stakeholders/management   Answer Question

Negotiation

Limited negotiation with HR, but the offer was sufficient.

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Completed a 'Match-Me Quiz' (Optional)
    Immediate: Online Application and Situational Judgement Test
    After 1 week (approx): Psychometric Game (downloaded and 'played' on smart phone) based around verbal, non-verbal and numerical reasoning.
    After 1 month: Video Interview (More situational judgement scenarios)

Did not progress further - heard back approximately 1 month later

Interview Questions

• You have just finished working on a project and your next one is not set to start for a couple of weeks, what do you do in the mean time?   Answer Question
    • You are required to audit a colleague but they are being defensive, how to you approach the situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience at Network Rail to a friend? (Who network rail are, what they do, Strengths needed)   Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I applied online and done the numerical&verbal game based tests (they were actually fun!).
    I was invited to an online video interview. There were 5 questions with a practice question. They were all situational. There was 90s to read and think and 2-3 min to answer. I am awaiting response now.

Interview Questions

• High workload for two projects, one manager ask for earlier report, want to stay on good terms with both, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Talk about network rail to a friend (advantages, disadvantages, challenges)   1 Answer
    • Auditing another team, they are being defensive, what do you do.   Answer Question