Neustar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Neustar

3.1

Senior Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neustar (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was recruited by an outside contractor for a Senior Communications Consultant role with Neustar. The role was to work with Neustar's website and social media pages in an effort to update and align the messaging to position Neustar as a global leader. This was sort of a big-fish-eats-little-fish process that ended up being a bait and switch and completely derailing any confidence I had in Neustar.

The recruiting firm that found me was hired by another recruiting firm that had been contracted directly by Neustar to bring them candidates (BlueAlly). The BlueAlly consultant was fantastic. I was told the role would be full-time, virtual consulting and Neustar's goal was to convert the role to full-time, permanent within a year. The salary was six figures, in line with my current earnings. As Neustar's benefits matched my needs I agreed to proceed.

I ended up having at least six phone interviews, with at least eight different Neustar employees before getting an offer. The entire process spanned two months, during which time Neustar's own employees contradicted each other when describing Neustar, the role, and Neustar's plan for the future. I was told to expect "some hesitation and resistance" when continuing in the interview process as Neustar had just come out of a "bad experience with another contractor." This did not make me feel comfortable, and was the first "red flag."

The second red flag came in the form of a phone call from the recruiting firm, who informed me that Neustar was very interested in me and had made an offer. I thought, "wonderful, this seems like a fantastic place to continue my career."

The next words out of the recruiters mouth were shocking. Neustar wanted to deviate from the agreed upon terms and in lieu of a year-long contract with 100% telework they wanted me to come into their Mclean, VA office four days a week. I explained to the recruiter that this was a complete deviation and one that I would be unable to accommodate due to the distance from my home in DC to Mclean, VA.

As I was already two months into the interview process (mind you, this is two months of interviews for a CONTRACT job, which is already quite absurd) I offered to come into the office three days. Neustar kept me dangling for another two weeks and finally came back with a hard "no."

I declined the role, as I find these type of bait and switch processes unethical and dishonest. If Neustar wanted a consultant to come into the office four days a week that should have been the original requirement. When considering leaving a full-time, permanent role for a contract role with Neustar I had to consider the ethics of the firm I was putting my trust into. Neustar fell drastically short. Moreover, as my counter-offer of three days in the office (a difference of only one day) wasn't acceptable, I had no confidence Neustar would be honest and forthcoming during my contract employment.

For me, the risk was not worth it.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Interview

My interview was very informal and long before neustar acquired the company.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview consists of a few phone screenings and an in-person interview. In each, they are trying to see if you have sales acumen, how professional you sound both on phone, in person, and via email, and how driven you are. They don't ask specifics about the products but rather are looking for a person who is able to solution sell. They want to see that you really understand the industry, the position, and your idea of a good sales process as an SDR. Throughout the whole process you speak to the recruiter, hiring manager, an SDR on the team you would work on, a sales director, and the senior sales VP.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I connect with a Recruiter after I submitted my application. After, I had a phone interview with the Manager of Sales Development. He assigned me a task to do once the phone interview was over. I connected one more time with the Recruiter before I had an on-site interview. I had a group interview, I talked to the Manager of Sales Development and the Director of Sales. I connected one more time with the Recruiter before getting an offer. I think the process was very straightforward. I think it is very important that do research about the company and the products prior to the interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Neustar (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process took about 1 month, consisting of multiple phone and in-person interviews. You get to speak with a few different people, so it gives you a better idea of the company environment.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Mountain View, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter form Neustar who set me up with a phone interview with hiring manager. Then was asked to come in and interview with future co-worker, product manager, head of product, and director.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Neustar.

Interview

I think it all comes down to the recruiter. The recruiter was just as transparent as I was with time and flow of process of transitioning into next steps etc. You definitely have to study about company for bonus points before interview--that should be a given if you are serious.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just had 1 day to review offer.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Interview

Ask some programming questions, ask about background and projects.

Interview Questions

• how would you know a user is accessing your website from mobile phone or computer?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Neustar (San Diego, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Most bizarre interview I ever had. First guy (potential boss) I talked to was busy making airport and car reservations on his computer for his daugher. He would ask something and then turn to the monitor, clicking around while I answered. He took a cell phone call during our "talk" and also talked to some people passing by in the hall a few times. He still hadn't finished making his reservations by the end of the "interview".

From there, went to talk to a peer manager. He seemed very uncomfortable and not at all enthusiastic about the interview (maybe he wanted the same position?). He asked a few questions about Agile and did not appear to like my answers. Then he went straight to a programming puzzle type question which I fumbled because at this point I was very rattled by the whole process. After that, he said "okay, we're done" and showed me the door. I was glad to get out of there and the solution to the puzzle came to me in the elevator.

Truly the most bizarre interview I've ever had.

Software Quality Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in January 2009.

Interview

Interview process was very detailed and elaborate. I had to interview more than 5 people at director and manager level at the time.

Negotiation

Not much.