Neustar Senior Communications Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Neustar

1 Interview Review

Senior Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neustar (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was recruited by an outside contractor for a Senior Communications Consultant role with Neustar. The role was to work with Neustar's website and social media pages in an effort to update and align the messaging to position Neustar as a global leader. This was sort of a big-fish-eats-little-fish process that ended up being a bait and switch and completely derailing any confidence I had in Neustar.

The recruiting firm that found me was hired by another recruiting firm that had been contracted directly by Neustar to bring them candidates (BlueAlly). The BlueAlly consultant was fantastic. I was told the role would be full-time, virtual consulting and Neustar's goal was to convert the role to full-time, permanent within a year. The salary was six figures, in line with my current earnings. As Neustar's benefits matched my needs I agreed to proceed.

I ended up having at least six phone interviews, with at least eight different Neustar employees before getting an offer. The entire process spanned two months, during which time Neustar's own employees contradicted each other when describing Neustar, the role, and Neustar's plan for the future. I was told to expect "some hesitation and resistance" when continuing in the interview process as Neustar had just come out of a "bad experience with another contractor." This did not make me feel comfortable, and was the first "red flag."

The second red flag came in the form of a phone call from the recruiting firm, who informed me that Neustar was very interested in me and had made an offer. I thought, "wonderful, this seems like a fantastic place to continue my career."

The next words out of the recruiters mouth were shocking. Neustar wanted to deviate from the agreed upon terms and in lieu of a year-long contract with 100% telework they wanted me to come into their Mclean, VA office four days a week. I explained to the recruiter that this was a complete deviation and one that I would be unable to accommodate due to the distance from my home in DC to Mclean, VA.

As I was already two months into the interview process (mind you, this is two months of interviews for a CONTRACT job, which is already quite absurd) I offered to come into the office three days. Neustar kept me dangling for another two weeks and finally came back with a hard "no."

I declined the role, as I find these type of bait and switch processes unethical and dishonest. If Neustar wanted a consultant to come into the office four days a week that should have been the original requirement. When considering leaving a full-time, permanent role for a contract role with Neustar I had to consider the ethics of the firm I was putting my trust into. Neustar fell drastically short. Moreover, as my counter-offer of three days in the office (a difference of only one day) wasn't acceptable, I had no confidence Neustar would be honest and forthcoming during my contract employment.

For me, the risk was not worth it.

Interview Questions