Neustar Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.2

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online, two weeks later I received a call from a recruiter, he scheduled a technical phone interview, I passed this test and was invited to an on-site interview. All people I met were pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• Linux administration commands, phyton commands, and behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Senior Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Neustar (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was recruited by an outside contractor for a Senior Communications Consultant role with Neustar. The role was to work with Neustar's website and social media pages in an effort to update and align the messaging to position Neustar as a global leader. This was sort of a big-fish-eats-little-fish process that ended up being a bait and switch and completely derailing any confidence I had in Neustar.

The recruiting firm that found me was hired by another recruiting firm that had been contracted directly by Neustar to bring them candidates (BlueAlly). The BlueAlly consultant was fantastic. I was told the role would be full-time, virtual consulting and Neustar's goal was to convert the role to full-time, permanent within a year. The salary was six figures, in line with my current earnings. As Neustar's benefits matched my needs I agreed to proceed.

I ended up having at least six phone interviews, with at least eight different Neustar employees before getting an offer. The entire process spanned two months, during which time Neustar's own employees contradicted each other when describing Neustar, the role, and Neustar's plan for the future. I was told to expect "some hesitation and resistance" when continuing in the interview process as Neustar had just come out of a "bad experience with another contractor." This did not make me feel comfortable, and was the first "red flag."

The second red flag came in the form of a phone call from the recruiting firm, who informed me that Neustar was very interested in me and had made an offer. I thought, "wonderful, this seems like a fantastic place to continue my career."

The next words out of the recruiters mouth were shocking. Neustar wanted to deviate from the agreed upon terms and in lieu of a year-long contract with 100% telework they wanted me to come into their Mclean, VA office four days a week. I explained to the recruiter that this was a complete deviation and one that I would be unable to accommodate due to the distance from my home in DC to Mclean, VA.

As I was already two months into the interview process (mind you, this is two months of interviews for a CONTRACT job, which is already quite absurd) I offered to come into the office three days. Neustar kept me dangling for another two weeks and finally came back with a hard "no."

I declined the role, as I find these type of bait and switch processes unethical and dishonest. If Neustar wanted a consultant to come into the office four days a week that should have been the original requirement. When considering leaving a full-time, permanent role for a contract role with Neustar I had to consider the ethics of the firm I was putting my trust into. Neustar fell drastically short. Moreover, as my counter-offer of three days in the office (a difference of only one day) wasn't acceptable, I had no confidence Neustar would be honest and forthcoming during my contract employment.

For me, the risk was not worth it.

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

Having 2 rounds of technical interview. Telephonic and face to face round. Once Phone screening completes they call for the F2F. In F2F almost 5 ppl are in the interview panel.

Interview Questions

• Biggest challenge which you faced in the production env?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Neustar (McLean, VA).

Interview

Unexpected lengthy process with an unnecessarily long online application process of which the information is not used at all in the process. Hiring managers talk more about the benefits and the wonderful workplace than the actual position and what needs to be accomplished. For the size of company the processes are very arduous and cumbersome, the timing of the offer was longer than expected.

Interview Questions

• Some questions about managing difficult management situations and how you would solve them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little back and forth, do not move on basics but will move on cash.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA).

Interview

First, I had a phone screen with a recruiter shortly after applying online. Then, I was invited in for a face to face interview with the team, including my immediate manager. I received my offer within roughly one week and started a few weeks later. Overall, a very smooth process!

Negotiation

I was very pleased with my offer and did not need to negotiate anything except for my start date (I wanted to start a week later than the original offer and they agreed).

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA).

Interview

First interview was an HR screening, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. After that was a round of 3 interviews with upper management. Most questions were skills related and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Always know about the company in any interview. They were pleasantly surprised I read up on the company before the interview.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

I was referred for this position by a current employee and spoke to someone in HR before they set me up to speak to the Manager. After a phone interview I then went in to meet with the Manager and a few members of the team where we discussed my background and the requirements for the position. It was a very good experience for me and all the people were very friendly. They unfortunately decided to go with another candidate for this role, but hopefully will keep me in mind for future opportunities.

Interview Questions

• I struggled with some of the technical questions, but think overall things went well.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in December 2012.

Interview

I got referred by an employee for QA Engineer position and I heard good things about the company so I decided to go for it. At first they requested a phone interview, but then they skipped that and went straight for an on-site interview. I talked with 3 QA engineers and finally with the VP, everything went smoothly and I got a positive feedback during the interview. However, after the interviews nobody actually got back to me, I tried sending couple of follow-ups to people I talked to during the process, but no luck. What a joke...

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Neustar (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with peers and some executives to determine mutual interest and fit. Got to see the work environment. People were candid about what was working and what wasn't and how the role would help address what wasn't working. Very forward thinking.

Negotiation

Make sure your compensation expectations are outlined at the beginning so the offer you get is as close to what you want - versus having them guess.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Neustar (Sterling, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

My interview was fairly non-standard, since my interviewer had specifically requested me (we met on a project during my internship last year, and he was impressed with how well I worked for an underclassman university student.). I was presented with an actual problem that the group was planning on having me work on, and was asked about how I would approach the problem. It was very imformal, and very relaxed, with us just sitting in a small conference room and working through the problem.

Interview Questions

• The only question was about how to solve the problem they were facing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotionation, I was applying for an internship, and was just happy to have a job for the summer.