New Sector Alliance Summer Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New Sector Alliance Summer Fellow Interview Questions

2.9

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (Boston, MA).

Interview

Applied online, was notified by email about 2 weeks later that I had gotten an alumni interview, which was over the phone and pretty relaxed. About a week after that I was notified that I had gotten a second staff interview which was over the Skype and more formal. Both lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What would a work supervisor suggest that you improve on?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time someone gave you ambiguous instructions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New Sector Alliance

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

One phone interview with program alum followed by a skype interview w/ program coordinator. The phone interview was very relaxed because the alum was around my age. The skype interview was more formal and the interviewer asked typical interview questions.

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

The first interview is a phone interview with a New Sector alum, lasting around 20-30 minutes. The second interview is slightly longer (40-45), either conducted in-person or through Skype. Mine was the latter, and went very smoothly. The New Sector staff interviewer was very nice, and asked fairly standard behavioral questions. There is a 'fun' question at the end where you get to be creative!

Interview Questions

• What unique skills or experiences would you be able to bring to the summer cohort?   Answer Question
    • What are 3 words that your friends would use to describe you? What are 3 words that a job supervisor would use to describe you?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about an experience you had with failure, and what you learned about yourself from it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Note that once you get an email extending an offer, you only get about a week to decide whether or not you want the position!

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance in March 2015.

Interview

35-45 minute phone/Skype interview. It was conducted by a fellowship alumni. If you pass, you will get a notification of a second round of interview. I got the notification within a week.

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

Applied in the first round in December. First round is a phone interview with an alumnus of the program, and second round is a Skype interview with one of the program managers. All of it is fit (no cases), and they're really looking for your passion in the social sector.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, which requires several references, and then heard back a few weeks later to schedule an alumni interview. This was mostly a behavioral interview for about a half hour to 45 minutes, and then was asked to do a second interview with the program director for the city for which I applied. Again behavioral given past projects and experiences.

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance in April 2014.

Interview

Found out about New Sector Alliance through campus' office of career services. Applied via New Sector's online portal (which had three short essays and two reference checks). Phone interview, then if advanced, second round via Skype. The process is quick, without case questions, despite the analytical nature of their internship positions which very much-so do entry-level consultant work.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (Boston, MA).

Interview

You start by submitting your application materials on their website. After that, someone reaches out and contacts you regarding your application. There is quite a process that goes with becoming part of the New Sector cohort.

1-After submitting your information, someone will reach out and let you know whether or not your ideal candidate. From there, you will be put in touch with an alum for your first interview.
    2-Upon successful completion of your second interview, you are then scheduled for another interview with a New Sector staff member.
    3-The last step is to get accepted into the program. After being accepted into the program, you then interview with host sites (I met with 4) to find the right fit for your summer.

This is a very rigorous process, but my summer cohort was amazing (which means it's effective).

Interview Questions

• The question that you should reflect on the most is what do you like the most about the program. It's important to know this answer for yourself so you're able to be honest about what you hope to get out of the summer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved as a summer stipend was explicitly listed on the website.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Following an online application, you'll be invited to schedule your interviews over email - first with a program alum, and then with New Sector (usually the program manager). If you accept New Sector's offer, you'll also do a number of interviews with potential host sites. The latter can vary widely depending on the culture of that particular nonprofit (and therefore are a good chance to evaluate your fit with a particular organization), so I'll focus my review on New Sector's interviews.

Both your alum and staff member interview consist of mostly resume-based and behavioral questions, and address your prior experience as well as your interest in the program. I had very positive experiences with both interviews. My interviewees were friendly, responsive, and eager to answer my questions about the program. The overall process was professional but personable, which is reflective of New Sector's overall culture.

Interview Questions

• Explain unique ways in which you could contribute to the peer learning components of New Sector's program.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online during the rolling admission after the first round. After a week I was scheduled for an interview with an NS alumnus and had a phone interview with him within the month. It was mainly informational and just going through my resume, informal and spent about an hour on the phone. I then had to scheduled the second interview with the program director and she stuck strictly to the 30 minutes. This was most behavioral and much more formal.